Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Other Sports
 Basketball
 1983 ASWA 2A All-State Team

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
petemaravich Posted - 05/10/2017 : 22:00:28
ASWA Class 2A Coach of the Year
James Jackson , Holy Family

ASWA Class 2A Player of the Year
Larry Brooks, Russell County

ASWA Class 2A All-State
Larry Brooks, Russell County
Jeff Chatman, Munford
Arthur Downie, Louisville
Vincent Cobb , Stevenson
Wayne Davis, Gordo.

Honorable Mention
Ronnie Patterson, Northside
Derrick Knox, Gordo
Barry Randies,. DAR
Bobby Joe Jackson, Headland
Arthur Copeland, Geneva County
Vernon Hollis, Dale County
Mike Hanks, Hokes Bluff
Barry Smith, Ashvllle
Chris Palmer, Sylvania
Marty Hayes, Ider
Alvin Lewis, East Limestone
Vernon Keller, Vincent
Arnold Hamilton, Holy Family
Buck Williams, Clements
Derrick Nix, B.B. Comer
Ricky Austin, Spring Garden
Randy Daniel, Winston County
James Watts, Holy Family
Kevin Warren, Holy Family
Chris Gambril, Holy Pond
Steve Johnson, Oneonta
Chris Witt, Elkmont
Terry Ware, Mcintosh
Carnell Cheatham, Georgiana
Judon Roper, St. Jude
Terry Brooks, Russell Count
Tim Mayo, West End
Darryl Golson, Autaugaville
Jeff Holcomb, Phil Campbell
Terry Morton, Susan Moore.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tidefan102 Posted - 05/13/2017 : 07:49:25
David, I wasn't questioning the research of petermaverich but just wondering why 1A schools were listed on the 2A all state team.

Mike Naugher
svmounties Posted - 05/12/2017 : 19:09:15
I noticed that earlier from Google doing a search from the link on the thread. I used to find a lot of basketball results, but I thought it curious it just stopped after 2 to 3 pages.

I also used to go to the downtown Birmingham library and do searches regularly on their microfilm. I did it so often that I developed vertigo or something like it. It got to where I could just go into the archive hall and smell the inside of the building and start getting nauseated. I do wish there were more free newspaper sites online where you could look things up, and sites that kept updating their content. It's gotten so lately, that even the local newspaper sites require you to buy a subscription to read their content.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
petemaravich Posted - 05/12/2017 : 10:35:36
Google seems to have let their newspaper archives slide a little bit. You can search them now and maybe get 20-30 results from the whole archive. I think they stopped adding any new papers a few years ago too. I think last I knew they had Gadsden Times, The Times Daily out of Florence and the Tuscaloosa News that you were able to check out on there from Alabama.

I also don't quite understand why a site like NewspaperArchive.com has The Cullman Times only to around March of 1979. I don't really have a clue how it works but I'd think when the ownership of the paper changed hands over the years that the paper's archives would go as part of the deal. Of course I don't mind going to the library and making a day of it looking at 'em on microfilm, but it sure is nice to be able to research this stuff from your own house.

I had often wondered about the high number of honorable mentions on some of these teams. Never knew that just 1 vote would get you on there but that explains it pretty well.
petemaravich Posted - 05/12/2017 : 10:20:29
I don't know if it will show the page

https://www.newspapers.com/image/106466007/

but it's from the April 1, 1983 Anniston Star, page 17.

It goes on to say that the 1A team was announced the day before (Thursday, March 31) and that the 3A & 4A teams would be announced the next week.
dparker Posted - 05/12/2017 : 08:54:41
I went through the Gadsden newspaper and found the basketball all-state team for 1983. I cannot put a photo of the page here but this a link to the paper. It is on page seven.

The paper has the same list of players and has Spring Garden as a 2A school. Go figure.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Z610oKUqOA4C&dat=19830401&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
dparker Posted - 05/12/2017 : 07:50:25
It is not 1A and 2A combined. I already had most of this list and was only missing about half of the honorable mention players. Everything else we already had.

Mike, it is not uncommon at all for the all-state teams to have schools in the wrong classifications. I saw it all the time when I worked on the all-state teams some years ago. All it took for a player to be listed as honorable mention on this team was to receive one vote so it is possible they messed it up.

"petemaravich" has been a long time contributor, mostly via emails, and has been extremely valuable to our research for basketball. He has contributed tons of information over the past few years. I appreciate everything he does to advance our basketball project.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
tidefan102 Posted - 05/12/2017 : 07:32:06
Could this have been 1A-2A combined?

Mike Naugher
tidefan102 Posted - 05/12/2017 : 07:31:24
I am not sure where this team came from but I do know that Spring Garden has never been 2A. I am not sure about some of the other schools with players on the list.

Mike Naugher
dparker Posted - 05/11/2017 : 15:10:49
I am almost certain that it is. It was the first school year they selected an all-state football team and the first year they released the weekly polls. So, I think it was the first one for any sport.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
petemaravich Posted - 05/11/2017 : 12:32:07
Was 1983 the first year that the ASWA put out their All-State basketball teams?
dparker Posted - 05/11/2017 : 09:59:26
Thanks

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07