Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Best games on 9/14-9/15

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sykotyk Posted - 07/24/2017 : 21:27:19
Alright, so I'm not from Alabama. But, I will be driving through the weekend of 9/14-9/15. There's apparently two options for games on Thursday and I'm leaning heavily toward Lanier-Russell County at Cramton Bowl rather than being down in Mobile.

This is primarily because I'd like to see a game at Bibb County, and they host Northside on 9/14. I'm not from the area, but drove through here a couple of years ago. I stopped in town, saw the stadium, researched it a bit, and figure if I'm ever back in the area, I'll see a game at their stadium. Well, I'll be back through.

However, this is where it comes in at, that I'd like to know how good this game is going to be. And if someone may suggest a better game elsewhere. Two major caveats are ease of parking and if the game won't be ridiculously crowded/packed. I'll be with my wife and 1yo daughter, so walking forward to the stadium, or having no where to sit would be a major issue.

This would be my first game in Alabama. On my trip to Florida, I'm planning to stop in Virginia at a game the previous weekend. All tolled, I've seen games in 33 different states so far. Alabama would then be #35.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sykotyk Posted - 09/16/2017 : 00:51:19
Great game. Shame Guntersville couldn't hold on. Were down 7-0 at the half on a 75 yard touchdown pass. Then, gave up another TD. Then, Guntersville got the smart idea to do a surprise punt on a fourth down where the QB was about 3 yards behind the LOS. It was blocked. Next play, Etowah scores to make it 20-0.

Then, Guntersville's passing game started to click. A deep pass to midfield that should have went much much further had the receiver cut to the outside instead of back inside right into the arms of the defender who had badly missed on the play. But, they get a TD. 20-7. Scored again. Then, stopped Etowah, and scored on a 66-yard touchdown pass with 5:50 left in the game to take a 21-20 lead.

And then Etowah went down the field aided by a facemask call on a long pass play. 1-yd QB sneak made it 26-21. PAT attempt failed. Guntersville moved down the field, but were stopped. Long pass play on 4th down was tipped twice by the receiver but fell just outside his open hand when he hit the field.

WIth timeouts, there was enough time to get the ball back. And originally they would have gotten about 20-25 seconds left, but a Etowah player faked an injury and got up exceptionally slow so they didn't start the 25 second clock until 30 seconds were left. It was ridiculous and why the officials didn't force them to waste a timeout for his theatrics, I don't know. Once the clock started counting down, he magically moved fine. With just over 5 seconds left, Etowah's QB just ran deep in his own territory down to around the 10 and ran out of bounds after the clock expired.

Great game. Too bad Guntersville couldn't get the passing game going in the first half. Plays were there. But they just couldn't connect on anything and according to the reporter there, had about 20 yards offense in the first half. Etowah had almost 200, most of which was on the 75 yard pass play.

Overall, great game. Guntersville is a great place to watch a game. Decent crowd. Shame a lot of fans started leaving after the punt block or the third TD going down 20-0.
Sykotyk Posted - 09/15/2017 : 19:40:25
Glad I didn't go to Cedar Bluff. 33-0 in the 1st. 0-0 in the second here at Guntersville.
Sykotyk Posted - 09/15/2017 : 18:31:27
I settled on Gunterville-Etowah. Concrete stadium, great view of the hills and lake from the top row. Also, the hotel was within walking distance. Had Crawmama's before the game.
svmounties Posted - 09/15/2017 : 17:16:39
I saw that Woodville stadium on google earth. It looks like its an afterthought in the middle of a pasture. Sort of a field of dreams type setting.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Sykotyk Posted - 09/15/2017 : 08:48:33
Still nowhere close to a decision.

Guntersville-Etowah and Albertville-Brewer are both 'bigger' schools it looks like with bigger stadiums. Of the two, A-B is the closer projected game.

North Jackson is out since they've played. Though they would've been closest to the game in Kentucky I'm headed to on Saturday night.

Cedar Bluff looks awesome, but the game is one sided. Cherokee County-Anniston is being played in Centre just 0.6 miles away. Stadium situation isn't as great.

Woodville looks ridiculously small. Game is projected to be close. Since I'm in Montgomery, it's not a far drive. Just getting a hotel in the area is an issue. Though being on 72 to Knoxville makes traveling out of there on Saturday quite easy compared to Centre/Cedar Bluff/Jacksonville.

Easy access to hotel makes Guntersville/Albertville the prime locations. I don't think I've ever had this much trouble narrowing down a game on a Friday night. Usually because I'd be at home and there'd be some place I hadn't been that catches my interest, or it's my team playing a good game somewhere I'm headed to that night.

Instead, it's wide open. I've never been anywhere around here for a game. So every place is an option to some extent. My wife may or may not go to the game tonight since her feet are still killing her from Disney World. If so, getting a hotel before the game close to the school/stadium is a must.
Sykotyk Posted - 09/15/2017 : 07:58:15
Well, I was considering North Jackson-Madison County, but found out it was played last night despite finding it online listed several places for Friday.

Any particular reason that game was on Thursday?

So, that narrows down my picks. Cedar Bluff is out because there's also not a hotel around. Albertville is looking more and more like my destination this evening. Just depends. Haven't 100% decided.

As for running clock, in Ohio and Pennsylvania it's mandatory (30 for Ohio, 35 for PA). Coaches can elect to shorten quarters as well. There was a 98-point first half in a game a few years ago in Ohio, and they played 1-minute quarters for the second half to end the game.
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/15/2017 : 05:52:37
What SV said. In week one Randolph County was up 48-0 at the half with Barbour County. Both coaches agreed to 6 minute quarters with a continuing clock.

Have you decided on your Friday game yet? Hopefully you don't want 2 dud games in the same week.

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
svmounties Posted - 09/15/2017 : 00:24:12
If a game is getting out of hand, or for whatever other reason, they can keep the clock running with the agreement of both coaches.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Sykotyk Posted - 09/14/2017 : 23:12:00
I must have found the old stadium. Found the new one you were talking about. Yeah, that's probably off the table.

As for my plans, all Thursday games in Georgia have been postponed or cancelled. So, the only option would be to drive all the way to Montgomery or Mobile for a game Thursday night. Even with the timezone difference, that's a bit of a stretch for one day.

So, with that in mind, which game is better even if both are a bit on a down side.

------

I tried posting this earlier this morning. But, it didn't post before I had closed the laptop. Anyways, I'm in Montgomery and just saw the Lanier-Russell County game. Lanier has some speed at wideout, the QB has an arm, run game was okay, and Russell County's blocking was bad. However, they started the game matching Lanier's first 75+ yard score with a long drive of their own to tie it at 7. Then, a 35-point second quarter squashed any hope for the Warriors.

Final, 51-7. Did seem odd that Lanier tried several field goals in the second half. Customary in Ohio to go for it on fourth down just running it into the line. A FG is generally considered 'tacky' when you're already up 5 scores. Though, it appears Alabama doesn't have a running clock. Which I like.
svmounties Posted - 09/13/2017 : 06:05:16
Gadsden City's stadium is the same age as the school. It is a completely new, consolidated school from when Gadsden High, Litchfield & Emma Sansom all merged. 'New' I say, being a dozen or so years old, but to me it's new. The stadium is snazzy, and looks more like a Division 2 or 3 college stadium than a high school one. The previous schools all played their games at Murphree Stadium in the older part of Gadsden. The new Gadsden City school is on Black Creek Parkway, right off of an interstate exit on the eastern side of the city. You don't even go into the main part of Gadsden to get there.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Sykotyk Posted - 09/12/2017 : 21:20:26
Woodville is probably a no just due to the travel to get there.

I didn't realize Gadsden City is a new stadium. Is it a rebuild on site, or a completely new stadium? I found it located via google maps.

The bigger schools generally not in my wheelhouse, either. Cedar Bluffs looks like a great place to see a game, but it appears the game is going to be horribly one-sided. And my first game in Alabama, I'd like to see a good contest.

At least Albertville qualifies in that regard. It does look recently redone based on streetview alone without researching its history.

I'm torn with the games in Pleasant Valley-Southside-Gadsden City, as well as whether North Jackson would work. Though that might be a bit further for travel on Friday.

Problem is, travel is just as big an issue as the stadium, seating availability, or quality of the game.

The original plan was to get to Montgomery on Wednesday night, and then see a game on Thursday night. Leave Friday for Bibb County, and stop somewhere around Birmingham Friday night. Would have been easy for travel all three days for games.

I'll consider Cedar Bluff, as the community and stadium look cool, but the game just looks like a dud.
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/12/2017 : 09:15:02
Off the list you gave, I'd say Hokes Bluff/Jacksonville and a second game would be Plainview/Pisgah.

svmounties Posted - 09/12/2017 : 05:06:26
I can only speak to one of the stadiums on that list, and that's Gadsden City's. That's the only one I've been to. I wouldn't call it older, myself, as it opened the year the school did, in 2006. Honestly, I prefer going to games at older stadiums, and not new or updated ones. It's just the feel that it's been there a long time and still being used. I also like the small town atmosphere, which I don't see a lot of with my school and it's opponents being of the higher classifications. Albertville and Buckhorn are going to be the others that have the newer type stadiums. I know Albertville updated their stadium recently, and had a huge scoreboard installed, I believe.

Of those you listed, I'd probably pick Woodville or Cedar Bluff, just because they're the smaller classifications, and more likely to find the small town atmosphere at the games.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Sykotyk Posted - 09/12/2017 : 00:03:35
That game looks like it's worth attending. However, getting there that early to get a seat/goo seat just won't work with a little kid. Plus getting trapped in the stadium with people on all sides just won't work.

Secondly, the game is a little further south than I'm looking for.

Here's the games I've narrowed down in my area (in no particular order):

North Jackson v. Madison County in Stevenson (26-21)
Pisgah v. Plainview in Pisgah (48-13)
Cherokee County v. Anniston in Centre (17-14)
Cedar Bluff v. Gaylesville in Cedar Bluff (44-7)
Pleasant Valley v. Ohatchee in Jacksonville (26-7)
Jacksonville v. Hokes Bluff in Jacksonville (19-35)
Southside v. Pell City in Gadsden (35-19)
Gadsden City v. Madison Clemens in Gadsden (21-20)
Woodville v. Spring Garden in Woodville (22-21)
Albertville v. Brewer in Albertville (28-22)
Buckhorn v. Huntsville in New Market (27-13)

That's basically ALL the games I've found east of I-65, north of I-20 outside of Birmingham.

The score at the end is the calpreps prediction for the game. For a reference, the Piedmont-RC game is predicted as a 28-24 victory for Piedmont.

Of the games I listed, Buckhorn is probably out just due to distance from where I think I'll be on Thursday night. That will probably axe the Woodville game as well.

Closest to where I'll be Thursday, the Jacksonville stadium again faces west. Which is annoying in Ohio to face the sun to start a game. I can't imagine September in Alabama doing it. So, that game will probably be out as it's also not expected to be closest contest.

Pleasant Valley-Ohatchee might be an option. Game's not exactly projected to be the closest, but looks like an interesting location with the stadium surrounding by woods behind the school.

Southside-Pell City isn't the best of matchups, but their stadium looks interesting located away from the school in town. Runs east/west, and looks like it is concrete on both sides.

Gadsden City is similar to Southside. Interesting older concrete stadium located apparently away from the high school. It's also looking like it would be a good game.

Cedar Bluffs looks like a horrible blow out, but their stadium has a certain aesthetic to it. Will probably opt not to go here due to the game, however.

North Jackson looks like a good game, and a nice stadium. But it's ab it of a trek from where I'll be Thursday. And a big pet peeve that it faces west/southwest. But, it's still an option.

Pisgah was an option until I got a really good look at the stadium. Wooden bleachers that a small child can fall through are definitely not on my list to attend.

Last up: Albertville. Now, just with Bibb County, there is a tad bit of sentimentality there as well. I was in Albertville many many years ago and thought it was a cool town a bit off the beaten path of I-59. They have what looks like a relatively close game, and I really like their stadium.

It's basically the game to either disinterest me from seeing, or pimp another game among the upper list.

Honestly, it's:

Albertville
Pleasant Valley
Gadsden
North Jackson
Jacksonville
Southside
Pisgah

Probably in that order. Albertville, though, is still almost a 5-hour drive from Albany, Georgia. Which is a bit of a stretch. Jacksonville/Pleasant Valley/Gadsden/Southside would be a bit closer. But, I am also planning a game in Kentucky on Saturday. So, too far south and it's a long drive to the game in KY.
svmounties Posted - 09/11/2017 : 15:36:39
I would agree, the Piedmont at RC game would be the one I'd go to as well.

After a beatdown of #3 Ohatchee AT Ohatchee, RC definitely should rise up into the top 5. The problem is if they'll jump them over the teams that won and the ones that didn't play. Jumping the ones that lost is almost a given, but for me, I'd also put them over Oakman and Weaver. And that region y'all are in is a monster. Four teams in the top 10 last week.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/11/2017 : 11:41:17
Simply put, the Piedmont at Randolph County game will be the premier game for the week. It will be broadcasting live too. Randolph County has fair seating but for what this game will be, seating will be packed and fans standing I. The endzone. You would need to be at the game around 5:30-5:45 to get a good seat. And trust me when I say, you will not go wrong with this game ;) eager to see the new poll because this could turn into a top 5 teams game. Either way you go with whatever game, safe travels.

dparker Posted - 09/10/2017 : 10:26:56
I will throw a few out there for consideration. Others will have more knowledge about the schools in the northeast corner of the state. I am sure there are two guys that hang out here who have one opinion about the best game so I will start with that one.

Piedmont at Randolph County - Defending state champs in 3A against a very goo Randolph County team. Game is in Wedowee but you will likely need to get there by Wednesday to get a seat. No doubt will be a great game to see.

Madison county at North Jackson - Good game with two good teams. I believe North Jackson in Stevenson has a very good stadium with a lot of tradition.

Cullman at Oxford - A couple of big schools that are very good. Would be a very good game among teams that are playoff caliper annually. I think the stadium will be adequate for this game.

Etowah at Guntersville - Another great game to see among mid-size schools. Both teams are usually good. I also think Guntersville has a good facility.

Like I said, others will know this are much better than I do since it is on the other end of the state from me. Also be sure to give us a full report on your adventure into Alabama high school football.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Sykotyk Posted - 09/10/2017 : 01:09:44
Circumstances have changed courtesy of Irma. So, now I will be leaving Florida sometime on Thursday morning. Which means a trip to Montgomery for Thursday 9/14 impossible.

Instead, I'm planning to see a game either at Warner Robins or Albany, GA. I still want to see a game in Alabama on Friday, 9/15. However, I do not think driving almost due west to Bibb County will be the game.

I want somewhere in the Northeast corner.

Essentially:

East of I-65, North of I-20. I'm looking for a good game with a unique or iconic venue. A team with some history behind them. A good rivalry if possible.

And most importantly, a stadium that can actually hold the game with room to spare. This last one is a big one as my wife and daughter will be attending as well, and though a packed house may seem fun, it's not if you have a small child with you.

So, any games are on the table. I'd prefer staying away from the Birmingham area and more along the lines of Gadsden up I-59 toward Georgia stretch.

Thanks.
GiglnTiger Posted - 08/09/2017 : 08:57:34
That #10 RC/ #1 Piedmont game is looking better and better. RC will get #4 Ohatchee the week prior till the game. So we could potentially be seeing a higher ranked game.

tidefan102 Posted - 07/31/2017 : 08:09:06
Thanks, I filmed there several years ago at a jamboree and it was so low we couldn't get much. I filmed out of the press box the times we played there before and it was a good view.

Mike Naugher

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07