Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  21:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, so I'm not from Alabama. But, I will be driving through the weekend of 9/14-9/15. There's apparently two options for games on Thursday and I'm leaning heavily toward Lanier-Russell County at Cramton Bowl rather than being down in Mobile.

This is primarily because I'd like to see a game at Bibb County, and they host Northside on 9/14. I'm not from the area, but drove through here a couple of years ago. I stopped in town, saw the stadium, researched it a bit, and figure if I'm ever back in the area, I'll see a game at their stadium. Well, I'll be back through.

However, this is where it comes in at, that I'd like to know how good this game is going to be. And if someone may suggest a better game elsewhere. Two major caveats are ease of parking and if the game won't be ridiculously crowded/packed. I'll be with my wife and 1yo daughter, so walking forward to the stadium, or having no where to sit would be a major issue.

This would be my first game in Alabama. On my trip to Florida, I'm planning to stop in Virginia at a game the previous weekend. All tolled, I've seen games in 33 different states so far. Alabama would then be #35.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by - Sykotyk on 07/24/2017 21:28:28

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  05:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's to early to tell. We can name some games but the first 2 weeks could disappoint that week 3 match up. I'd hate for you to go see a crampton bowl that at its worst has to 0-2 teams playing. Making sense...

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  07:31:09  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem is that there will be only a few games played that Thursday night. Usually only teams that share stadiums will play on Thursdays.

I do not know if Bibb County and Northside are playing on Thursday but if they are that would be the game to see. It would be much better than any game at the Cramton Bowl. You would get the home town atmosphere there much better than in Montgomery. There should be a pretty good crowd. More than will be at the Cramton Bowl for certain.

Do you need to see a game on Thursday night instead of Friday?

The only other games I show for Thursday are Fairfield-Woodlawn, Mary Montgomery-Murphy, Sidney Lanier-Russell County and Huntsville & Buckhorn. Not one of those is very intriguing.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  12:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

The problem is that there will be only a few games played that Thursday night. Usually only teams that share stadiums will play on Thursdays.

Yeah, that's what I figure. I'm heading north from Florida and slightly detouring west through Alabama. So, Mobile is a bit further out of the way. Montgomery wouldn't be bad for a Thursday game. Huntsville is probably just a bit too far. Birmingham is a maybe, but that just depends.

quote:
I do not know if Bibb County and Northside are playing on Thursday but if they are that would be the game to see. It would be much better than any game at the Cramton Bowl. You would get the home town atmosphere there much better than in Montgomery. There should be a pretty good crowd. More than will be at the Cramton Bowl for certain.

Do you need to see a game on Thursday night instead of Friday?

I'm planning to see a game both days. Montgomery on Thursday and Bibb County on Friday. If there was a Saturday option, I'd consider it, but it doesn't look like Alabama really plays any on Saturday. Instead, I'm planning to be in Kentucky Saturday night for a game in Barbourville.

quote:
The only other games I show for Thursday are Fairfield-Woodlawn, Mary Montgomery-Murphy, Sidney Lanier-Russell County and Huntsville & Buckhorn. Not one of those is very intriguing.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

Just like in Ohio, most Thursday games aren't good unless they're televised games. Parma, Cleveland, and Akron are usually only due to stadium availability. Same with Pittsburgh who has 6 schools sharing one stadium (they all play in the same league, so it's a Thursday night game, Friday afternoon, and Friday night). But at least in Pittsburgh tickets are only $3.

Basically, I'm just curious what other games in the Montgomery-Birmingham-Huntsville area that would be considered a good historical matchup with hopefully an iconic or memorable stadium hosting it. Since this will be my first time in Alabama for a high school game.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Woodlawn should be high on the list.

Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  15:08:12  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. Let's just say I wanted to watch a game on that Friday night, where would I go?

I have selected a few for consideration that would be close to the corridor I believe you will be traveling between NW Florida and the Tennessee state line. They were chosen for several reasons including hometown appeal, importance of the game, and just down right a game that would represent high school football to an outsider passing through. They are in no particular order.

Beauregard at Sylacauga - although a little out of the way, it is a chance to see a defending state champion and the best running back in the state in what should be a good game.

Benjamin Russell at Chelsea - another game slightly off your path but would be well worth seeing. Of the games I have selected, this would probably be my choice. At least it would be second behind the above game.

Highland Home at Maplesville - close to the Bibb County game but the best small school program in the state. While the game may not be very close, it would be worth it just to see Maplesville in their home environment.

Hoover at Spain Park - Now if you want to see a game between the biggest schools around in a rivalry match up this would be the game. These two schools split a while back and just don't like each other. And, Hoover is just plain Hoover.

Pinson Valley at Clay-Chalkville - A game in the Birmingham area that could be worth watching between a couple of very good teams. Both have new coaches but are still good programs. I do not know anything about the stadium or if it is a good place to watch a game. Shane could help you with that one.

I did not look at anything south of Montgomery if you go there on Thursday. Just remember that watching the Thursday night game at the Cramton Bowl is not very representative of high school football in Alabama.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  23:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok. Let's just say I wanted to watch a game on that Friday night, where would I go?

I have selected a few for consideration that would be close to the corridor I believe you will be traveling between NW Florida and the Tennessee state line. They were chosen for several reasons including hometown appeal, importance of the game, and just down right a game that would represent high school football to an outsider passing through. They are in no particular order.

Thanks. That's basically what I wanted to know. Being an outsider, the primary thing I would like is A) an interesting or unusual stadium. One worth taking the time to go see, B) a good matchup, and C) I prefer seeing smaller schools or small towns away from the suburbs.

quote:
Beauregard at Sylacauga - although a little out of the way, it is a chance to see a defending state champion and the best running back in the state in what should be a good game.

Benjamin Russell at Chelsea - another game slightly off your path but would be well worth seeing. Of the games I have selected, this would probably be my choice. At least it would be second behind the above game.

Highland Home at Maplesville - close to the Bibb County game but the best small school program in the state. While the game may not be very close, it would be worth it just to see Maplesville in their home environment.

Hoover at Spain Park - Now if you want to see a game between the biggest schools around in a rivalry match up this would be the game. These two schools split a while back and just don't like each other. And, Hoover is just plain Hoover.

Pinson Valley at Clay-Chalkville - A game in the Birmingham area that could be worth watching between a couple of very good teams. Both have new coaches but are still good programs. I do not know anything about the stadium or if it is a good place to watch a game. Shane could help you with that one.

Of the ones listed, the Maplesville one looks interesting, but appears it won't be that close of a game. So, that limits my interest to an extent.

Primarily, Bibb County is simply a matter of happenstance. My goal is visit every county in the country. I drove through Bibb County the one time and stopped at the Jack's right near the stadium. Then drove over to the field, walked it since it was open. Took some pics. And just got the idea if I were ever back in the area again, I'd see a game there. So, a game to overtake that interest would have to be one really worthwhile.

quote:
I did not look at anything south of Montgomery if you go there on Thursday. Just remember that watching the Thursday night game at the Cramton Bowl is not very representative of high school football in Alabama.

I'm well aware of that fact. I'd say the same thing about seeing a game at Welcome Stadium in Dayton, Byers Field in Parma, InfoCision Stadium in Akron for an Akron City Series game, or in Pennsylvania to see a game at Cupples Stadium in Pittsburgh. Not representative of what you'd see if you ventured out.

It's just a matter of: this is one of the only games on Thursday. And I'm not looking to go into Georgia to see a game on Thursday. And theirs are mostly Atlanta or Albany area teams on Thursday night.

For Alabama, the only option is Montgomery or Mobile. And seeing Ladd-Peebles isn't really much of a drawing power. I figure either game I go to on Thursday is going to be a bit of a downer. But, it's still a game. Anything can happen.

And just for anyone curious. I attended 84 high school varsity football games last year in 9 different states (OH, PA, WV, IN, DE, NJ, KY, TN, and TX). The year before, I attended 97. And two years ago, I attended 127 games in one season. That's not a typo. Saw games in Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, and Florida.

I've attended 636 games in the past 7 years. And 581 in the past 6 years.

If anyone is curious, here's my flickr page ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/sykotyk/sets/ ) for pics of the games I attend. Sorted by week.

Here are some of my favorites:

Shaker Heights, Ohio

MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Grass Range, Montana

Cupples Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA

AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (54,000+ for a HS game)

Wheeling Island Stadium, Wheeling, WV (State Title, Wheeling Park playing, barge passing by on the river behind the stadium)

Fort Cherry, McDonald, PA

To see the rest of my favorites, go here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sykotyk/albums/72157650959412497/with/8903355887/

Edited by - Sykotyk on 07/27/2017 23:04:35
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  00:37:30  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

There's nothing really special about Clay's stadium, as it's only 20 years old. The draw would be that Clay has been a decent program of late, and Pinson upset them last year, so that might be on their minds. The home stands at Clay used to be the home stands at the old Shades Valley stadium from 1949 or so till 1994. If I had to choose one, I would go to Maplesville, only because I've always been intrigued with the small town/school atmosphere, yet with my school being a 6A, I've seldom went to a smaller school atmosphere.

There was a writer here, Wayne Martin, I think, who had a hobby of seeing a game in every stadium in the state, He got to where he was down to only a handful of schools, and schools that built new stadiums as well as newly opened schools.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  01:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's nothing really special about Clay's stadium, as it's only 20 years old. The draw would be that Clay has been a decent program of late, and Pinson upset them last year, so that might be on their minds. The home stands at Clay used to be the home stands at the old Shades Valley stadium from 1949 or so till 1994. If I had to choose one, I would go to Maplesville, only because I've always been intrigued with the small town/school atmosphere, yet with my school being a 6A, I've seldom went to a smaller school atmosphere.

There was a writer here, Wayne Martin, I think, who had a hobby of seeing a game in every stadium in the state, He got to where he was down to only a handful of schools, and schools that built new stadiums as well as newly opened schools.

Sounds like someone I could relate to. I'd try that for Ohio, but Ohio has 715 football playing schools and probably has about 630-650 individual stadiums where games are played. Even Pennsylvania has 573 football playing school at the last count (lost at least 3 this year due to consolidation/dropping football). It'd just be impossible. I know Alabama has quite a bit fewer schools and it seems each of the major cities tend to share one stadium for the city schools. In Ohio, Cleveland has 10 public high school football teams, and share 4 stadiums. Parma has 3 schools, and 1 stadium. Aside from that, most schools have their own field unless they're a private, and then most of them seem to rent out a stadium. Such as Youngstown Ursuline and Youngstown Cardinal Mooney rent out Stambaugh Stadium from Youngstown State. Akron Public Schools' Akron City Series has 6 high school teams and share three venues and also rents out InfoCision Stadium at University of Akron for one game a week.

Throughout the country, I've been to 231 different stadiums for high school football games. Would take years, even at this pace, to visit everyone in Ohio or Pennsylvania. Then there's almost 16,000 football teams in the country. The numbers become staggering.

And of those 16,000 or so teams, I've only seen 844 of them.
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  07:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very good game to see on that weekend would be Piedmont at Randolph County. Piedmont is the 2 time defending 3A state champion and Randolph County is on the rise. It will be played on 9/15/2017.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tidefan102

A very good game to see on that weekend would be Piedmont at Randolph County. Piedmont is the 2 time defending 3A state champion and Randolph County is on the rise. It will be played on 9/15/2017.

Mike Naugher

What Mike said. This Region was the strongest region in the entire state last year with going into the 3rd round of the playoffs, all region teams were still playing, which guaranteed one of the region teams was going to the state title game. As what Mike said, Randolph County is returning its entire team, minus 3 starters. The game will be one of the better games for that week.

Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2017 :  11:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Randolph County still use that press box on the visitors side for coaches and film crew?

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  05:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a built on aluminum platform now. Not much higher than the visitor seating.

Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  08:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I filmed there several years ago at a jamboree and it was so low we couldn't get much. I filmed out of the press box the times we played there before and it was a good view.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  08:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That #10 RC/ #1 Piedmont game is looking better and better. RC will get #4 Ohatchee the week prior till the game. So we could potentially be seeing a higher ranked game.

Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  01:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Circumstances have changed courtesy of Irma. So, now I will be leaving Florida sometime on Thursday morning. Which means a trip to Montgomery for Thursday 9/14 impossible.

Instead, I'm planning to see a game either at Warner Robins or Albany, GA. I still want to see a game in Alabama on Friday, 9/15. However, I do not think driving almost due west to Bibb County will be the game.

I want somewhere in the Northeast corner.

Essentially:

East of I-65, North of I-20. I'm looking for a good game with a unique or iconic venue. A team with some history behind them. A good rivalry if possible.

And most importantly, a stadium that can actually hold the game with room to spare. This last one is a big one as my wife and daughter will be attending as well, and though a packed house may seem fun, it's not if you have a small child with you.

So, any games are on the table. I'd prefer staying away from the Birmingham area and more along the lines of Gadsden up I-59 toward Georgia stretch.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  10:26:56  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will throw a few out there for consideration. Others will have more knowledge about the schools in the northeast corner of the state. I am sure there are two guys that hang out here who have one opinion about the best game so I will start with that one.

Piedmont at Randolph County - Defending state champs in 3A against a very goo Randolph County team. Game is in Wedowee but you will likely need to get there by Wednesday to get a seat. No doubt will be a great game to see.

Madison county at North Jackson - Good game with two good teams. I believe North Jackson in Stevenson has a very good stadium with a lot of tradition.

Cullman at Oxford - A couple of big schools that are very good. Would be a very good game among teams that are playoff caliper annually. I think the stadium will be adequate for this game.

Etowah at Guntersville - Another great game to see among mid-size schools. Both teams are usually good. I also think Guntersville has a good facility.

Like I said, others will know this are much better than I do since it is on the other end of the state from me. Also be sure to give us a full report on your adventure into Alabama high school football.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  11:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply put, the Piedmont at Randolph County game will be the premier game for the week. It will be broadcasting live too. Randolph County has fair seating but for what this game will be, seating will be packed and fans standing I. The endzone. You would need to be at the game around 5:30-5:45 to get a good seat. And trust me when I say, you will not go wrong with this game ;) eager to see the new poll because this could turn into a top 5 teams game. Either way you go with whatever game, safe travels.

Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  15:36:39  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would agree, the Piedmont at RC game would be the one I'd go to as well.

After a beatdown of #3 Ohatchee AT Ohatchee, RC definitely should rise up into the top 5. The problem is if they'll jump them over the teams that won and the ones that didn't play. Jumping the ones that lost is almost a given, but for me, I'd also put them over Oakman and Weaver. And that region y'all are in is a monster. Four teams in the top 10 last week.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 09/11/2017 15:41:12
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  00:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That game looks like it's worth attending. However, getting there that early to get a seat/goo seat just won't work with a little kid. Plus getting trapped in the stadium with people on all sides just won't work.

Secondly, the game is a little further south than I'm looking for.

Here's the games I've narrowed down in my area (in no particular order):

North Jackson v. Madison County in Stevenson (26-21)
Pisgah v. Plainview in Pisgah (48-13)
Cherokee County v. Anniston in Centre (17-14)
Cedar Bluff v. Gaylesville in Cedar Bluff (44-7)
Pleasant Valley v. Ohatchee in Jacksonville (26-7)
Jacksonville v. Hokes Bluff in Jacksonville (19-35)
Southside v. Pell City in Gadsden (35-19)
Gadsden City v. Madison Clemens in Gadsden (21-20)
Woodville v. Spring Garden in Woodville (22-21)
Albertville v. Brewer in Albertville (28-22)
Buckhorn v. Huntsville in New Market (27-13)

That's basically ALL the games I've found east of I-65, north of I-20 outside of Birmingham.

The score at the end is the calpreps prediction for the game. For a reference, the Piedmont-RC game is predicted as a 28-24 victory for Piedmont.

Of the games I listed, Buckhorn is probably out just due to distance from where I think I'll be on Thursday night. That will probably axe the Woodville game as well.

Closest to where I'll be Thursday, the Jacksonville stadium again faces west. Which is annoying in Ohio to face the sun to start a game. I can't imagine September in Alabama doing it. So, that game will probably be out as it's also not expected to be closest contest.

Pleasant Valley-Ohatchee might be an option. Game's not exactly projected to be the closest, but looks like an interesting location with the stadium surrounding by woods behind the school.

Southside-Pell City isn't the best of matchups, but their stadium looks interesting located away from the school in town. Runs east/west, and looks like it is concrete on both sides.

Gadsden City is similar to Southside. Interesting older concrete stadium located apparently away from the high school. It's also looking like it would be a good game.

Cedar Bluffs looks like a horrible blow out, but their stadium has a certain aesthetic to it. Will probably opt not to go here due to the game, however.

North Jackson looks like a good game, and a nice stadium. But it's ab it of a trek from where I'll be Thursday. And a big pet peeve that it faces west/southwest. But, it's still an option.

Pisgah was an option until I got a really good look at the stadium. Wooden bleachers that a small child can fall through are definitely not on my list to attend.

Last up: Albertville. Now, just with Bibb County, there is a tad bit of sentimentality there as well. I was in Albertville many many years ago and thought it was a cool town a bit off the beaten path of I-59. They have what looks like a relatively close game, and I really like their stadium.

It's basically the game to either disinterest me from seeing, or pimp another game among the upper list.

Honestly, it's:

Albertville
Pleasant Valley
Gadsden
North Jackson
Jacksonville
Southside
Pisgah

Probably in that order. Albertville, though, is still almost a 5-hour drive from Albany, Georgia. Which is a bit of a stretch. Jacksonville/Pleasant Valley/Gadsden/Southside would be a bit closer. But, I am also planning a game in Kentucky on Saturday. So, too far south and it's a long drive to the game in KY.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  05:06:26  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can only speak to one of the stadiums on that list, and that's Gadsden City's. That's the only one I've been to. I wouldn't call it older, myself, as it opened the year the school did, in 2006. Honestly, I prefer going to games at older stadiums, and not new or updated ones. It's just the feel that it's been there a long time and still being used. I also like the small town atmosphere, which I don't see a lot of with my school and it's opponents being of the higher classifications. Albertville and Buckhorn are going to be the others that have the newer type stadiums. I know Albertville updated their stadium recently, and had a huge scoreboard installed, I believe.

Of those you listed, I'd probably pick Woodville or Cedar Bluff, just because they're the smaller classifications, and more likely to find the small town atmosphere at the games.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07