Playoff previews and insights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  09:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are for the games in my area. Please feel free to post some for the area in which you live or feel free to talk about some of the teams from your area that some of the rest of us may not know much about.

7A
Florence @ Thompson

Will Hester has done a really good job in his first year as Florence's head coach. The team has shown some toughness on defense but they have been inconsistent on offense, especially at QB. Florence has played really good at times when they weren't expected to (like against Austin) and bad when they were expected to play well (like against Gadsden City). The defense hasn't had a challenge like this all year though.

Pick: Thompson 56 Florence 14

6A

Minor @ Muscle Shoals

Muscle Shoals has kind of flown under the radar. They weren't ranked until the week 10 poll. Their only losses were to Chaminade Florida 28 to 21 and a last second loss to Hartselle, who is a legit contender for the 6A crown. Muscle Shoals handled a very good Wetumpka team in the final week of the regular season, leading that game 24 to 0 at one point.

Pick: Muscle Shoals 35 Minor 7

5A

Center Point @ Russellville

The mantra around here has been "Russellville is back!" I'd encourage people to pump their brakes on that assessment. Russellville made the right hire bringing in John Ritter, but they benefited from being in a weak region. It took two overtimes to get past a Deshler team that isn't what Deshler has been. And you could argue Deshler was in complete control of that game until Marmann went down. Boyd is a great running back, but RHS is still a year or two away from being a legit contender. I wouldn't be shocked if they win this game, but I am going with the upset.

Pick: Center Point 38 Russellville 35

4A

Oneonta @ Brooks

Brooks only losses were to the number 3 team in 5A and the number 4 team in 6A. Brooks traded blows with Madison Academy for 3 quarters with a backup QB until MA finally put the last score on the board. Brooks looks to be back healthy this week with the starting QB expected to play. Oneonta has some length at receiver which could be problematic for Brooks smaller secondary. I do believe Oneonta is the best #4 seed in the North. Brooks can score on anyone but the key is their defense. If they can rise to the occasion they will be a tough out.

Pick: Brooks 42 Oneonta 22

Anniston @ Deshler

Deshler has had some injury issues this season but appears relatively healthy going into the playoffs. Deshler finished the season strong with a great performance against 5A R8 winner Jasper in which DHS fell 36 to 27 but lead most of the game. This isn't as physical of a Deshler team as we have seen in the past, but they still have skill players all over the field. Deshler has to get Marmann going and comfortable. Anniston is no joke.

Pick: Anniston 17 Deshler 13

Central @ Hokes Bluff

This game could be sneaky good. Hokes Bluff has the talent and with the beast Meads at tailback, they won't be easy to stop. But the one thing Central has is a very good front four. They match up well with teams that primarily like to run. This was probably the best case scenario for Central. Hanback is a very good running back and can get into space and create problems for the defense. If Centrals defense can keep it close, this one could get interesting.

Pick: Hokes Bluff 28 Central 14

Rogers @ Jacksonville

Rogers came back to earth a little bit this year, after two straight region championships and two straight undefeated regular seasons. But make no mistake, they are the type of team that can pull an upset so you can't overlook them. They had Brooks on the ropes and had a few things went differently in the Deshler game, that could have been a tight one. Rogers will try to run the ball and burn clock, which is probably the best thing to do against an athletic Jacksonville team. I just don't think it will work.

Pick: Jacksonville 31 Rogers 12

3A

Saks @ Colbert Heights

Taylor Leathers has done a great job in his short time at CHHS. Last year they, along with Cherokee, were the team that made it the furthest from our area. However, they lost a lot of talent. They have been resilient. After starting 0-3 they came back to win 6 of their final 7 games. Unfortunately, I think they benefited greatly from being in a very down region. And their opponent, Saks, may be in the best region in 3A North. A lot of credit to CHHS for being in the position to get another home playoff game this year but they drew a tough draw.

Pick: Saks 44 Colbert Heights 19

Lauderdale County @ Randolph County

Lauderdale County is young. At times this year it has seemed they lacked an identity. Growing up in this area, you always associated LCHS with tough grind it out option offense that was going to pop you in the mouth. They have went away from that periodically this year and it seems to have a big effect. The game against Randolph they came out throwing a lot more and got behind big, then in the second half went back to LCHS football and dang near came back and won. This is a rebuilding year for them and RCHS is a heck of an opponent. This one may be over by half.

Pick: Randolph County 52 Lauderdale County 8

2A

Winston County @ Red Bay

Red Bay has been a tough team to figure out this year. They are always pretty solid but they took it on the chin earlier this year against Addison, but then came back and surprised most everyone by knocking off Colbert County. They haven't been as explosive as some RBHS teams in the past, but they do play solid defense and can win on any given night. I think Winston County presents an interesting match up as I think both teams play a similar style.

Pick: Red Bay 14 Winston County 7

Colbert County @ Tarrant

This may not be your fathers CCHS team where they can just come out and out-athlete everyone, but make no mistake about it, they are still dangerous. Two of their three losses came against 4A playoff bound teams. They had the one hiccup against Red Bay, which I still can't explain and they manhandled a very good Addison team. Tarrant is a place that isn't easy to go into to play, but CCHS isn't your average team.

Pick: Colbert County 30 Tarrant 21

Sheffield @ Aliceville

Sheffield has been competitive in all but two games this year. They do have some athletes and can utilize some speed on the ends. But really, Aliceville is just too much for SHS. I would like to see it be competitive but the chances just aren't that good.

Pick: Aliceville 45 Sheffield 10

1A

Marion County @ Mars Hill

When Mars Hill started their program in 2014, people were already talking about when this class got to the senior level and how good they would be. They haven't disappointed. Their only loss on the season was a 1 point loss @ 4A Brooks. Brooks went for two under a minute to win. Mars Hill has explosive players all over the field. I personally haven't seen a 1A North team with this much speed since the old days of Courtland. Marion County is a lamb to a slaughter.

Pick: Mars Hill 58 Marion County 6

Hubbertville @ Waterloo

These two teams met earlier in the year with Hubbertville coming out with a convincing 49 to 18 win. Waterloo came in with a bunch of hype this year. Unfortunately their great running back Summerhill was ruled ineligible by the AHSAA (bad ruling IMO) and that threw them for a loop. I think they may have read some of their own press clippings too and were caught off guard by HHS. I think the team has settled down since then and improved. They lost by 34 to Mars Hill late in the season but it was a very competitive game for 2 1/2 quarters. I think they get revenge here.

Pick: Waterloo 28 Hubbertville 24

Edited by - TheMUBM on 11/08/2018 10:11:18
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07