General Discussion
 new Dothan High
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  14:00:31  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dothan and Northview will merge after this year to form a totally new Dothan High School. The new school will be the Wolves, and the colors will be cardinal and black with an accent of gold. I would think with this being a completely new school - with a new nickname and colors, as a result of the merger of the two old schools - that it would warrant a new separate page. I'm surprised they didn't tweak the name as well, since one of the previous schools was already called 'Dothan High'. What will also be interesting, with this being a mid-year for classification purposes, is which school's football schedule will they assume? The second article announces the new coach, and states that the new school will be on the current Northview campus.

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/education/it-s-official-dothan-high-school-wolves/article_5367e610-1ea9-11e9-a0c2-b74a17b188c4.html

https://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/high_school/veteran-grider-will-lead-new-dothan-high-football-program/article_9c8b2fe2-1ea8-11e9-a384-179af714070d.html

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 01/23/2019 14:05:36

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found that out yesterday. It creates a problem for us since we can not have two schools with the same name. Since we already have a Dothan I can not create a new school with the same name.

I have been pondering this situation all morning and have not come up with a solution yet.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  12:35:50  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe to separate the two, they could have the year added that they first opened, such as 'Dothan 1912' and Dothan 2019', or just add the 2019 to the new school. Or the new school could have 'Wolves' added to it as a distinguisher. I like the first idea better than the second, because to me adding the nickname to a school would look odd on the yearly schedule breakdowns, especially if no other school had the same thing. Though I think adding a notation to both schools would create less of a confusion later on down the line, especially to schools who will eventually play both versions of Dothan High. I don't see why they didn't call it Dothan City, or Central of Dothan, or something to distinguish it from the two previous schools, especially since they were rivals. In the past, other places have made a point to name a school something different when rival schools merged.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  20:28:21  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thing to remember is that whatever we name the new school..... that name will appear on every opponent's schedule. So in your examples Enterprise would play "Dothan 2019" or "Dothan Wolves" over the next few years. Not sure how that will look on schedules ten years form now.

I am really thinking about just calling the new school Dothan and adding all the new stuff to the old Dothan High. This kind of thing has happened in the past and usually some group throws a fit and they form a committee and have a bunch of meetings and rename the school twice more before settling on a permanent name. Who knows?

Whatever we do will meet opposition. I get emails from several schools now that have made minor changes to their names that create a ton of work for me to go back and fix.

Examples are..... Glenwood Academy wants to be The Glenwood School. Catholic Montgomery wants to be Montgomery Catholic. And of course the one our original members will recall. Sidney Lanier wants to be simply Lanier.

I remember when Georgiana built a new school and wanted the name to be Bulter County Magnet School. That lasted almost a year before they changed the name back.

We have some time to decide since I will not do schedules until the first of May likely. But for now I am leaning toward calling the school Dothan and just making Northview closed. But, I am open to any ideas and suggestions.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

274 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  07:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

The thing to remember is that whatever we name the new school..... that name will appear on every opponent's schedule. So in your examples Enterprise would play "Dothan 2019" or "Dothan Wolves" over the next few years. Not sure how that will look on schedules ten years form now.

I am really thinking about just calling the new school Dothan and adding all the new stuff to the old Dothan High. This kind of thing has happened in the past and usually some group throws a fit and they form a committee and have a bunch of meetings and rename the school twice more before settling on a permanent name. Who knows?

Could you edit the old school profile and just rename it "Old Dothan High"

Whatever we do will meet opposition. I get emails from several schools now that have made minor changes to their names that create a ton of work for me to go back and fix.

Examples are..... Glenwood Academy wants to be The Glenwood School. Catholic Montgomery wants to be Montgomery Catholic. And of course the one our original members will recall. Sidney Lanier wants to be simply Lanier.

I remember when Georgiana built a new school and wanted the name to be Bulter County Magnet School. That lasted almost a year before they changed the name back.

We have some time to decide since I will not do schedules until the first of May likely. But for now I am leaning toward calling the school Dothan and just making Northview closed. But, I am open to any ideas and suggestions.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

ROLL TRIBE!
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  08:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts are to continue to used the current Dothan High page with a note that Northview merged with Dothan in 2019. I don't see any reason to create a new page. There was a Dothan High before they split to for Northview. They are not the first school to change nicknames either.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07