General Discussion
 New Topic. Sportsmanship?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  21:38:36  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think about this rule in New York? Holy cow! There would be a lot of suspended coached in Alabama this year. This might be the dumbest rules I have ever heard of in my life. What do you think?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lopsided-win-high-school-coach-141001551.html

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  02:06:20  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw that the other day. It really doesn't surprise me. It's the day and time we live in. Everybody's afraid of offending someone or hurting someone's feelings. It's all in the same vein as giving everyone trophies. Suspending a coach for his team scoring too much. What's next? Grief counselors on each sideline to console players who drop a pass or miss a tackle?

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  09:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a ridicules rule.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  09:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a travesty. What are the coaches supposed to do? I think about Elkmont this year. Elkmont is playing 4A ball in a pretty decent region (Deshler, Brooks, Rogers, West Limestone, Central-Florence, Wilson). They have about 30 kids on the team, which is a pretty small roster for 4A football and quite frankly not a lot of talent.

Look at their scores Rogers beat them 83-29, Brooks beat them 71-8, West Limestone beat them 75 to 0. They were outscored on average 51.5 to 8.6 a game. Take out their one win against Lexington and it's 55.6 to 8.4.

After the West Limestone game there was a huge brouhaha on facebook with people ranting and raving and calling out West Limestone for their unsportsmanlike behavior with "running up the score."

As someone who knew people who attended the game, WL put their backups in pretty early in the 3rd. I am pretty sure their second team accounted for at least 3 scores. What else is the coaching staff to do?

Then you get the argument "well they could have just ran the ball." 1.) A lot of teams do that and still score when the talent disparity is so much. 2.) You can't really put your second team in and not expect them to run the primary offense.

My argument has always been that when the backups come in, they should the normal offense, even if it is a blowout and they still pass. Reason being, these kids need time on the field and putting in your backup QB to just turn around and hand off trap plays over and over really does nothing to help your backup learn the game.

God forbid somewhere down the road your starting QB goes down and you have to plug in your backup.. what good is it if all he has done is make handoffs in blowouts? I get that parents hate seeing little Johnny get beat up on like that, but that is football. And most of the coaches I know wouldn't intentionally try to run the score up, but they sure are going to run their regular offense to help their kids get time in the system.

I know that Jerry Fulks (Rogers) and Brad Black (Brooks) certainly didn't go into Elkmont thinking "let's see if we can hang 70 + on them."

Edited by - TheMUBM on 11/03/2019 09:23:40
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  09:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just so I don't get too off topic, I realize that the article stated the coach didn't pull his starters, but that really shouldn't be mandatory either. Bob Stoops always said if you didn't want us to score, get a better defense.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  19:52:29  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I get both sides of it. Though I will say I've not experienced but a handfull of football games where the team I pull for was absolutely blown out. But I can understand how the people who experienced it felt in the heat of the moment. We were blown out one year by Oxford, and a few times by Clay, and to this day I feel disdain for John Grass and Jerry Hood because of those games. But I also see the point of why should it be our problem to stop our team from scoring, if yours can't. But when it comes to the point of the players needing actual game experience, then in that case I have no problem with it. But as stated, I do see both sides.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  09:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thought's are if you put all of your players in the game and just run your offense and the other team can't stop you that's not your problem.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

jmcgill56
AHSFHS Forum Master

102 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  10:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a teacher and assistant football coach right now at Crossville High School. I'm from Fyffe and played footfall under Coach Benefield. Fyffe has been very successful and I believe Coach Benefield really looks for 2 things to happen when a game is in hand. He wants his starters to at least play the whole first half helping them get into game shape getting ready for the playoffs. Then, he oits his younger guys in and coaches them up giving them lots of invaluable game experience. He realizes one of the important aspects of building a great program is preparing the next group of players in line to be ready to play. Coaches who are truly sold out to a program will not leave starters in just to run up the score or what have you. They are focusing on building up the program. And if the young guys are in and the other team can't stop them then that's just part of the game. Purposefully running up a score, in my opinion, is just showing bad sportsmanship. Even leaving starters in on defense to try to secure a shutout shows immaturity on a coach's part. If a game is in hand I believe a coach should play young guys on both sides and whatever happens just happens.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  10:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmcgill56

I'm a teacher and assistant football coach right now at Crossville High School. I'm from Fyffe and played footfall under Coach Benefield. Fyffe has been very successful and I believe Coach Benefield really looks for 2 things to happen when a game is in hand. He wants his starters to at least play the whole first half helping them get into game shape getting ready for the playoffs. Then, he oits his younger guys in and coaches them up giving them lots of invaluable game experience. He realizes one of the important aspects of building a great program is preparing the next group of players in line to be ready to play. Coaches who are truly sold out to a program will not leave starters in just to run up the score or what have you. They are focusing on building up the program. And if the young guys are in and the other team can't stop them then that's just part of the game. Purposefully running up a score, in my opinion, is just showing bad sportsmanship. Even leaving starters in on defense to try to secure a shutout shows immaturity on a coach's part. If a game is in hand I believe a coach should play young guys on both sides and whatever happens just happens.

This post right here is one of those that needs that "like" button I have been talking about.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  10:47:32  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just for the fun of it I ran some numbers. There have been 329 games this year in the AHSAA where one team beat another team by 40 or more points. There were 24 games in the AISA.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07