Playoff Sleepers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  16:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any sleeper teams they think could make a run to the Super 7? I'll give you mine below:

1A:
South--Brantley
--I wanted to say Millry, but they'd likely have to beat both Isabella and Lanett just to get to Auburn.
North--Spring Garden--Nothing about their resume really stands out, but their part of the bracket sets up nicely for them to get to the Quarterfinals and possibly the Semi-finals, so getting to the Super 7 is in the realm of possibility.

2A:
South--Goshen
--Luverne seems to be the overwhelming favorite in the South, but Goshen only lost to them by 1 on the road in the regular season.
North--Addison--Realistically, the North seems like it's Fyffe, Ohatchee, and then everybody else, but I think the most likely team to knock off those two is Addison. Sure, they lost to Red Bay in the regular season, but Addison would likely get to host Ohatchee in the Quarters while Red Bay would probably have to travel to Fyffe.

3A:
South--Pike Road
--I know picking an undefeated team isn't really a sleeper, but c'mon, what does this team have to do to earn some respect. 10-0 with a win over a ranked St. James squad and they're only #7. New team with a chip on its shoulder could be in for a Mars Hill-type run.
North--Walter Wellborn--This is an easy one for me. I saw Wellborn play my Class 4A #7 ranked Lincoln Golden Bears early this year, and they put up 60+ and could have named their score, despite completing only one pass the whole game. And I have a friend on Wellborn's coaching staff who said when they played us they still didn't really know what they had talent-wise yet. Their QB will likely be the best athlete on the field no matter who they play. Now that they know what they have this is a scary team.

4A:
South--Williamson
--I'd love to be able to say Lincoln could be a sleeper, but we just don't have the talent to compete with the Mobile-area teams. This is still a huge longshot to think that anyone other than UMS, Montgomery Catholic, or American Chr. will get to Auburn, but Williamson has the defense to give anyone fits.
North--Anniston--In a wide open North, there's legitimately 8-10 teams that could make the run to Auburn. This is another school I'm very familiar with, and they are in the toughest region in the North. 3 of their 4 losses were by a combined 10 points. Also, 3 of their losses are to teams in the top 5 in 4A. They are battle-tested.

5A:
South--Faith Academy--Another undefeated team that isn't getting the respect it deserves. They dominated in a weaker-than-normal Mobile-area region, but are playing their best ball of the season right now. It would be a real Cinderella story for this team to win it all just a year after their first ever playoff appearance.
North--Center Point--They played Mountain Brook to a respectable score, beat Mortimer Jordan, and lost by just a touchdown to Clay-Central. There isn't a game they will have to play that they won't have a chance to win. It would be another incredible story for them to make a state championship game after going 3-37 from 2014-2017.

6A:
South--Dothan High
--I was skeptical how good this team would be since neither of the schools that were consolidated were exactly football powers, but they've proved me wrong. This is a dangerous team mostly because they are playing their best ball heading into the postseason.
North--Pinson Valley--It's hard to call the reigning 2-time 6A champs a dark horse, but they've outperformed where I thought they'd be in their first season post-Bo NIx. They've allowed more than 12 points just twice all year.

7A:
South--Prattville
--The South is McGill-Toolen and Central's to lose, but Prattville has as good a shot to take them down as anyone. They were Central's closest region game this year.
North--Vestavia Hills--They have the misfortune of facing a surging James Clemens in the 1st round, but IF they can get past that one, they'll get Hoover at home, and I think they win that one. Any of the Birmingham schools could get to Auburn, though.

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  16:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Aliceville playing Abbeville for the title in 2A and I think both would be considered at least mild sleepers. I pay the most attention to 4A so that is where I have the most knowledge.

I'd say in 4A North, there are legit 8 to 10 teams who could represent the North in the finals. I know I have said "Deshler ain't it", but I mean that more from the standpoint of it's not the Deshler teams of old but they could still be there.

4A South, I wouldn't rule out Williamson, just as you have pointed out. UMS has a bad game (and they have to at some point right?) against a team of that caliber and they could get bounced. Could also open the door for American Christian.
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1263 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  20:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nearly all my picks are long shots or dark horses.

7A- James Clemens is probably the 3rd best team in the north, but I'll believe a Huntsville area public school can make a run when I see it. Prattville in the south but it's a big drop off from Central and McGill.

6A- North is a two team race between Oxford and Muscle Shoals but Pinson Valley could crash the party. Dothan High is a good team but they have the most difficult path with tough draws in the first two rounds.

5A- Pleasant Grove and Chilton Co. winner could make a run getting Faith in the second round and not seeing Bibb Co. until the semifinals. Mortimer Jordan has a similar story in the north they should be favored until they play the Clay/Jasper winner in the semifinals.

4A- is a total crapshoot in the north and will be fun to watch. A team no one picked was Oneonta. Honorable mention to Anniston but someone dod pick them. The south is UMS and everyone else. If they don't win it it'll be an upset.

3A- The bottom half of the north bracket is where I look. Susan Moore is my pick but Walter Welborn is the favorite on this side, Westminster is also a strong candidate to play Piedmont in the semis. The south is Pike Co. & Gordos to lose. Flomaton comes from a bad region but they have playoff experience.

2A- It's a three team race in the south Leroy, Luverne, & Reeltown. The north; if anyone has a chance of upsetting Fyffe it's Ohatchee but that's a long shot.

1A- Sweet Water gets Maplesville at home in the 2nd round & won't see Lanett until the Semifinals. Mars Hill will have to beat themselves but they could overlook Decatur Heritage in the quarterfinals.
Go to Top of Page

dmbutler
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  15:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to update your sources on 3A R1. ASWA rankings mean nothing! Most of the writers/voters know very little about teams outside their area.

3 of the 4 teams in the 3A South bracket quarterfinals were R1 teams. It will be an all-R1 semifinal matchup.

If you want to look for a ?bad? region, look elsewhere. It?s not Region 1.

DB

3A- The bottom half of the north bracket is where I look. Susan Moore is my pick but Walter Welborn is the favorite on this side, Westminster is also a strong candidate to play Piedmont in the semis. The south is Pike Co. & Gordos to lose. Flomaton comes from a bad region but they have playoff experience.

Edited by - dmbutler on 11/24/2019 15:46:56
Go to Top of Page

dmbutler
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  15:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You need to update your sources on 3A R1. ASWA rankings mean nothing! Most of the writers/voters know very little about teams outside their area.

3 of the 4 teams in the 3A South bracket were R1 teams. It will be an all-R1 semifinal matchup.

If you want to look for a ?bad? region, look elsewhere. It?s not Region 1.

DB

Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1263 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  22:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad was the wrong word to use, but region 1 was down from their own high standard of the past few seasons. The top teams played tough non region schedules yes, but most played the same schedule last year and had better results. So it wasn't completely out of left field to look at the regions records and say they'd taken a step back.This will be the fifth year in a row with the south representative coming from region 1; that's phenomenal. It's gotta be up there for the most in a row from the same region. David might know

When I looked at region 1 at the start of the playoffs. I didn't see this run from TR Miller, I don't think anyone did. I thought they were a year away from this kind of run.Mobile Christian I thought had their run to the final a few seasons ago and were trending the other way; settling in as solid playoff team that was rebuilding. I'm sure I wasn't the only one sleeping on region 1, but it was hard to look past how dominant Pike Co & Gordo had been with what they had coming back from last year.
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree about Region 1. I thought if any of those teams were to make a run it would for sure be Flomaton. Based on the last couple of years Mobile Christian seemed to be on a downward track and T.R. Miller came pretty much out of nowhere.

I want to say the Piedmont/Wellborn winner is a shoe-in for the 3A championship regardless who wins the South, but I thought the same thing before last year's state championship game and was proved wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07