General Discussion
 Mae Jemison nickname/colors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  00:18:51  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-2079811173110557425/meet-mae-jemison-football-coach-kelvis-white/

This article states Mae Jemison will retain J.O. Johnson's Jaguars nickname and Johnson's blue and yellow colors.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  07:45:57  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess this is the time to ask this question. Should the schools official name be Mae Jemison or Jemison Huntsville?

First thought is Mae Jemison but we generally don't recoginize schools by their first name. Think of John LeFlore, Mattie Blount, Albert Brewer, W.P. Davidson, Virgil Grissom, John Shaw, John Sparkman and others.

Some we do recognize by their first names. James Clemens, Paul Bryant, TR Miller.

I have started a page for them as Jemison Huntsville but can easily change it to Mae Jemison now. It will be more difficult to do in the future.

The other question would be to just go with a name change since the school is replacing J.O. Johnson. But, Butler is involved in this as well I do believe.

So many questions and so few answers. I will appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Especially anyone involved with the new school.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  08:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a hard one to decide. I the the name on here should be Jenison Huntsville. My inclination since Johnson played this year and Butler was closed would be to just consider this as a name change since the are keeping the same nickname and school colors.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1263 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only a small number of former Butler students will move to Jemison. Combining the two was the original plan, but the Department of Justice shot that idea down. Most Butler students are, and will be, zoned to Huntsville High with a small number to other schools.
My vote would be for just a name change because they are keeping almost all the same faculty and its only two blocks from the old school inheriting its same district.
Mostly this is just a name change, despite what Huntsville BOE says. They just wanted to reduce their number of failing schools as deemed by the state, and the easiest way to do that is with a name change to get a clean slate from the state BOE.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  13:29:56  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The people that go there and the graduates of Johnson, will more than likely just call the school 'Jemison', Jemison Jaguars. I don't see people calling the school Mae Jemison when referring to it, as it's not an easy flowing name. I see them calling it Jemison, just like the examples of Grissom, Shaw, Sparkman and others. That's usually what has been used, is what the people that go there call the school. The only differing example I can think of was the old debate we had about Lanier/Sidney Lanier. I would call the school, for the purposes of the site, Jemison-Huntsville.

As for the school continuing the lineage of Johnson, we've also discussed this in the past. As long as a school maintains the nickname and colors of the previous school, they are, for all intents and purposes, the same school. Other examples would be - Berry/Hoover, Bessemer/Jess Lanier/Bessemer City, Erwin/Center Point, Shades Cahaba/Shades Valley, Mignon/BB Comer, Marshall Co/Guntersville, Jefferson Co/Tarrant.

One thing that could be done to recognize the fact that these schools used to be known as other names, is to include a notation in the 'team timeline' as to when the name changes occurred.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  07:45:42  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the replies I think we can narrow this down to two choices. Either they are the same as J.O. Johnson and we just go with a name change or we go with Jemison Huntsville.

We do not need to decide today and I will leave this open for further discussion if anyone has further comments or new comments from someone different.
Thanks guys.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

chipmunk1480
Forum Member

20 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  15:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my thoughts but if it had been a new name on s old building or a new building with the same name it could be considered the same school but to have a new building with a new name makes it a new school. The mascot and colors could be used by any school in the state but would not make the same school. Again just an observation.
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  21:14:00  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input Chipmunk. But that only works in some cases. Take Berry and Hoover. Hoover wanted everything concerning Berry to be attached to the new school. Other schools have done the same thing.

Ok. I emailed a friend at Al.com who has some connections at the AHSAA. He said they have been discussing the same thing. The AHSAA and AL.com will both recognize the school as Mae Jemison per the wishes of the powers that be at the new school.

They all three will consider it a new school.

So, I suppose we will also. To keep things simple and the same as the two big dogs at AL.com and the AHSAA, we will go with Mae Jemison.

It really make no difference to me. It is actually easier to create a new school for me than to change a name. So I am good with it.

We currently have a head coach on their page but no schedule and not much else.

Along those line, the new St. Michael Catholic High School in Daphne will open this fall but will only play a JV schedule in football. I will add them if they participate at the varsity level in other sports and to football when they play varsity teams next year.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  23:45:38  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Berry/Hoover, Bessemer/Jess Lanier/Bessemer City, Erwin/Center Point, Shades Cahaba/Shades Valley all went from an old to a new school building from one year to the next, changed names, and kept the same mascot and colors. Other schools, such as Leeds, have changed their mascots during their history, yet are the same school. Each situation is different.

I'm good with it being considered a new school. However, I can see the alumni feeling disconnected if it's viewed as a new school, and not a continuation of Johnson. In SC/SV's example, Shades Cahaba changed buildings in 48-49 and became Shades Valley, while still remaining red and black and the Mounties, then SV moved to Irondale in 95 and kept the SV name. Keeping the same name/colors/mascot keeps the alumni feeling connected to the school. When SV was moving to Irondale, there was discussion about changing the name to Irondale, or Shades Valley Irondale or some such, and even changing the mascot and colors. If it had changed the name or mascot/colors, I would have had a great difficulty feeling that it was my school. I'm sure Johnson alumni will feel the same, if the new school isn't considered a continuation in some form or fashion of Johnson.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 03/17/2016 23:47:32
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  08:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shane I agree with you. I think we should do the same with them as with SV and Hoover.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

gpope23
New Forum Member

10 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  22:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is wow! Even though I have been a member of this forum since 2010, I never saw this thread and wished I had even told others and got them to share opinions. On facebook, I am the moderator of the group, "I used to Ball in NW Huntsville." There are many alums of J.O.J. in the group. Even though the school was moved to a new building with a new name, J.O.J. alums still support the school not just because of our old colors and mascot, but because it is still in the same neighborhood and many of the kids are legacies from our own bloodline.

That situation came about because of politics. A lot of people's feelings where hurt and many people's legacy where disrespected. The city board would not even set a decent time for alumni to take a last walk to the and pay respects. It was set on a Weekday during a time when people would normally be at work. It was so sad for those that love this school. Nevertheless, the Jaguar spirit is still in full effect with Jemison High School, especially when they won the state Basketball Championship twice.

I just wanted to share this and give everyone and update.
quote:
Originally posted by svmounties

Berry/Hoover, Bessemer/Jess Lanier/Bessemer City, Erwin/Center Point, Shades Cahaba/Shades Valley all went from an old to a new school building from one year to the next, changed names, and kept the same mascot and colors. Other schools, such as Leeds, have changed their mascots during their history, yet are the same school. Each situation is different.

I'm good with it being considered a new school. However, I can see the alumni feeling disconnected if it's viewed as a new school, and not a continuation of Johnson. In SC/SV's example, Shades Cahaba changed buildings in 48-49 and became Shades Valley, while still remaining red and black and the Mounties, then SV moved to Irondale in 95 and kept the SV name. Keeping the same name/colors/mascot keeps the alumni feeling connected to the school. When SV was moving to Irondale, there was discussion about changing the name to Irondale, or Shades Valley Irondale or some such, and even changing the mascot and colors. If it had changed the name or mascot/colors, I would have had a great difficulty feeling that it was my school. I'm sure Johnson alumni will feel the same, if the new school isn't considered a continuation in some form or fashion of Johnson.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - gpope23 on 05/29/2019 22:20:29
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  22:40:32  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember reading about the issues with allowing the alumnus to visit the old school. It's good that the graduates have accepted the new school. Im sure more people know who Mae Jemison is, than know who J.O. Johnson was, anyway. We always face this type of dilemma when a school changes a name, or a new one opens, or consolidations occur. And each situation is different and unique. There was recently a school that opened that wished yo use the history of a previous school with the same name, that closed like 80 years prior. We also have an upcoming issue with the new Dothan high opening, as it's a consolidation of old Dothan and Northview, yet is a brand new Dothan High, with a new mascot, colors and so forth. Each situation is different and unique in its own way.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  08:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion on Dothan is that the new Dothan should be retain the old Dothan's page and records on this site. I see no reason the create a new page for what is still Dothan High School.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07