State Champions
 1948 Aliceville
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  11:35:00  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm listing this here separately in case it's missed elsewhere.

David, looking at the 'past champions' list, Aliceville is listed as the 1948 state champion with a 9-0 record, yet when you pull that season up in the link it brings up a 0-5-1 known record. Shades Cahaba played Aliceville in 1947 in what was deemed the 'state title game' in the newspaper. I wonder if it isn't 1947 that was meant as their title year.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  21:39:02  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really don't know. Here is the link I am sure you have seen from the AHSAA. You would think they would be accurate.

http://ahsaa.com/Sports/Football/History/FootballPastStateChampions/tabid/375/Default.aspx

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  10:01:32  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're putting responsibility for the champions before 1966 as 'selected by The National Sports News Service'. So they probably just took whatever list they were given and posted it there. Who knows, it could have been somebody found a list in some file cabinet at a newspaper and half paid attention as they copied it down. Aliceville isn't the only one with records wrong compared to what we have, and I tend to believe what we have over them as ours involved confirmed research. Athens 1935, Ensley 1946 and Ramsay 1947 also have at least two losses to their reported none on the AHSAA champion list.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:00:55  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, I figured out how to work that newspaper search on Google, so I've been doing a search for all Shades Valley items. Of note for the site is an article about the 1958 SV-Tuscaloosa matchup. It was played at Denny Stadium, and according to the article all Tuscaloosa home games that year were played there as well, as they were said to be 4-0 at Denny prior to the SV game.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07