General Discussion
 Playoff game site change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daniel Boyette
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Daniel Boyette's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Hope at St. John Paul II has been moved from Discovery Middle in Madison to Milton Frank Stadium in Huntsville.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sports Writer since 2006.

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  03:20:18  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/DailyMtEagle/status/1060619232612773888

Due to poor field conditions at Mortimer Jordan, the Class 5A playoff game between Dora and Mortimer Jordan was played at Dora.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  13:37:30  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.al.com/sports/2018/11/alabama-hs-playoff-game-moved-to-neutral-site.html

Mortimer Jordan's second-round home game against East Limestone has been moved to Clay-Chalkville High because of unplayable field conditions.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

201 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  14:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few states such as Texas have neutral sites for all games after the 2nd round. I would love to see this in Alabama, at least in the bigger classifications. Imagine this week.
Lee vs. C-Phenix City at Troy St.
Hoover vs. Thompson at Legion Field
Opelika vs. Saraland at Crampton Bowl
Wetumka vs. Spanish Fort at Memorial Stadium in Selma
Homewood vs. Pinson Valley at the Hoover Met.
Clay-Chalkville vs. Oxford at Lawson Field
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  07:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope Alabama never does this. I think this would be a disaster. It would make everyone have to travel and add to the expense of going to the games. Terrible idea in my opinion.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  12:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike. Smaller schools from 4A and down would be burdened by it.

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

201 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  10:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www-tuscaloosanews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20180624/ahsaa-contemplating-using-college-sites-for-football-semifinals?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&template=ampart&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuscaloosanews.com%2Fnews%2F20180624%2Fahsaa-contemplating-using-college-sites-for-football-semifinal
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  07:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a terrible idea. They are trying to ruin the playoffs. Legion Field is a terrible place to watch a football game now. I hope this never happens.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  15:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind neutral sites 3rd round and beyond, but not in the sense of what you're saying. I'd say find a field that is not in use somewhere near equal distance between the two schools. If they can use that field then good.

Some people might not like it, but it would cut down on travel for a lot of teams. The host team (or school) may not like it, but it could get them some extra money, if a deal were struck for that host facility to receive a portion of gate and a portion of concessions.

For instance, Brooks and North Jackson have played many times in the playoffs. Some in Killen, some in Stevenson. Those are a good distance apart. So say they met in the third round, Huntsville would be pretty close to halfway for both. Have it at the Huntsville City Field, or if you wanted to be true to exactly halfway, have it at Grissom High School (I think they play their games on school grounds, forgive me if I am wrong.)

I realize it isn't a perfect plan, but it beats the idea of teams having to travel 3 rounds great distances. Deshler this year made it to the ship. Could you imagine had they had to travel say to Birmingham for the first two rounds and now Auburn? What a burden.

Edited by - TheMUBM on 12/05/2018 15:58:53
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  05:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate this idea.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  08:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not saying it is perfect, but if an initiative for "neutral site games" was ever passed, I like it a whole hell of a lot more than just picking a big stadium, regardless of location, to host the game. And it sure beats the hell out of driving to Stevenson, Odenville, Fayette and Munford. Driving 2 1/2 to 3 hours for each game beyond second round is an absolute nightmare waiting to happen.

This was all under the assumption that a neutral site initiative was passed.

So lets say Brooks and NJHS play in the third round. What's easier and less stress on the teams and fans? Both teams and fans drive a little over an hour to play in Huntsville or both teams drive 2 1/2 hours plus to play in Birmingham?

I think the current system works ok, but if a neutral site is wanted, then I'd much prefer it my way.
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 2015 Piedmont traveled to Leighton to play Colbert County in the semi finals. It was a standing room only crowd. The end zones were even full. The noise level was out of this world. You would never get this at JSU or Troy even though those are much smaller stadiums than Auburn or Alabama. Both teams fed off of the big crowd. I was never a fan of playing at Legion Field, Jordon Hare or Bryant Denney. Crampton Bowl would be a great stadium to host the Super 7 games. It's a very nice 25,000 seat stadium.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

Wetzel222
Forum Member

39 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  09:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@tidefan, Veterans memorial stadium at Troy is bigger than the Cramton Bowl, not sure what your logic is on that one.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  16:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that was his point, that the luster and intimacy of high school football is lost when you put it in these massive stadiums that these teams couldn't get close to filling.
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  07:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is my point exactly. We had a very nice crowd in Auburn Thursday but both sides were lost in the massive stadium. Playing on a college campus on a school day is hectic to say the least. Parking is a nightmare. Auburn and Alabama do as good a job as they can with parking and bussing the fans to the stadium. I have to have assistance to get around and riding a bus in out of the question for me. I have to arrive early so I can get one of the few handicap parking close to the stadium.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  07:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is my point exactly. We had a very nice crowd in Auburn Thursday but both sides were lost in the massive stadium. Playing on a college campus on a school day is hectic to say the least. Parking is a nightmare. Auburn and Alabama do as good a job as they can with parking and bussing the fans to the stadium. I have to have assistance to get around and riding a bus in out of the question for me. I have to arrive early so I can get one of the few handicap parking close to the stadium.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

Wetzel222
Forum Member

39 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  10:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh okay! That makes more sense. Thanks for explanation. I would not mind seeing them played in Montgomery or maybe even Alabama A&M sometime.
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

201 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  21:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that Highland Home sold over 5000 tickets to the semifinal vs. Luverne and that about half of those had to be turned away. Yes, I know that the schools are only a few miles apart. But if the game was in Greenville or another larger school in the area with a bigger stadium, no one would be turned away and the gate receipt would be bigger and the atomosphere would not be lost. I'm not saying every game should be in the late rounds should be in a college stadium, but is is fair if two #1 seeds play each other in the quarterfinals or later for one to get the home field advantage. Keep in mind that playoff game money is split. Bigger crowds means more gate money.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07