Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  20:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1A

Mars Hill vs. Woodville

Mars Hill is a machine. If you get a chance to watch them take it in, it's a thing of beauty. Higgins, Hansen, Kilpatrick and McDaniel is just about as good as any four on any team regardless of class. They beat two 4A playoff teams by a total of 80 to 39.

I said last year they were the best 1A team I had seen since some of the old Courtland teams and I didn't think anyone would challenge them in the playoffs, and that was pretty much true. I think they are even better this year.

Prediction: Mars Hill 62 Woodville 12

Waterloo vs. Falkville

Junior Summerhill may be the most dynamic running back in the area. It is just a shame that the AHSAA sent down a bogus ruling that left him on the sidelines last year with what would have been Waterloos best team in recent memory, if not ever. But he has still found his footing and has had a fantastic year.

If Falkville can neutralize him, this game could go badly for Waterloo. But I don't see that happening. Still this will be a good game.

Prediction: Waterloo 30 Falkville 23

2A

Collinsville vs. Colbert County

There are always athletes in Leighton. This year it seems more to be at wideout than at running back. The transfer from Hatton at QB has helped them a lot. However, they have been so up and down this year it is hard to get a measure of this team. They beat 4A playoff Central to start the season, but get blown out by Addison. They play Deshler tough, but struggle to get the victory over a mediocre Sheffield team. And they have not finished the season well. Running into a really good Collinsville team in the 1st round is not what the doctor ordered.

Prediction: Collinsville 34 Colbert County 19

Fyffe vs. Sheffield

Bohling is a good QB for Sheffield and they have weapons at WR. However, their running game just isn't good enough to be able to open the passing game up. They are very dangerous in the return game as well but a lot of teams just refuse to kick it to them deep. Plus, come on, it's Fyffe. This is probably over at halftime.

Prediction: Fyffe 48 Sheffield 8

3A

Lauderdale County vs. Sylvania

LCHS started off the season with a beatdown from Brooks, but that game was back and forth for a while. They then went on a huge winning streak until running into a really hot Westminster team.

Blade Wisdom is arguably the fastest kid in the area and for the first time in awhile, LCHS has a QB that can actually deliver the ball downfield in Brown. But don't overlook workhorse running back Jaylen Jones. Kid is solid. He isn't going to have a lot of big plays necessarily, but he is reliable. Sylvania is typically a pretty solid team. This may be one of the better games in the area.

Prediction: LCHS 35 Sylvania 21

Susan Moore vs. Colbert Heights

Who has done more with less than Taylor Leathers at Colbert Heights? If I were at a bigger school making coaching decisions, this guy would be at the top of my list. Colbert Heights pulled maybe the upset of the season in our area by beating Westminster. However the last two weeks they have had two OT games. I already think they are outmanned against SMHS, and having two OT games going into the playoffs can't be good for a team trying to be as fresh as possible.

Prediction: Susan Moore 38 Colbert Heights 17

4A

Deshler vs. Danville

Deshler has returned to form. Their only losses being to larger playoff bound schools (Jasper, Russellville & Muscle Shoals.) Randall Martin has been hired and reinstalled the Wing T, which is what Deshler has always ran. They do it as well as anyone. The problem with Deshler is if they face a team that forces them to pass or put together a drive, as they have subsisted on big plays, then they may get in trouble.

Danville presents an interesting matchup considering their QB is Luke Nall (the transfer from Madison Academy) but I fear Danville doesn't have the athletes outside of Nall that can take advantage of Deshlers porous passing defense. Also, couple that with the fact that Deshlers front four is probably as good as any Danville has seen all year, this doesn't match up well.

Prediction: Deshler 42 Danville 21

Brooks vs. St John Paul

This should be a Big 12 game. Both teams have athletes all over and can score at the drop of a hat, but neither play any defense. In fact, no offense to Region 7 but it is the Big 12 of 4A football. St John Paul has a very mobile QB who could present a lot of problems for Brooks.

Brooks has had trouble tackling people this year, but the one spot they are good at is the middle of the field on pass plays and that seems to be where St John Paul has a lot of their success. This could be one of those whomever has the ball last.

Prediction: Brooks 43 SJP 37

Priceville vs. Rogers

Rogers started the season 0-6. In fact, they didn't even score in their first three games and that was against subpar opposition. However, they found something against Brooks. Looking at the result 43 to 7 Brooks, you may say that is not true, but they held Brooks offense in check and made them drive the field, no big plays. They also held Deshler to a 28 to 0 loss. Again, doesn't look good to an outsider, but they played tough in that game. Then they somehow inexplicably upset Central Florence and West Limestone.

IF and I mean IF Rogers can slow the game down and make Priceville play their game, this could get interesting. With the momentum Rogers has established in the second half of the season I won't rule it out, but I think Priceville just has too much firepower.

Prediction: Priceville 27 Rogers 7

Fairview vs. Central Florence

I can't figure out Central. They have a lot of talent. So much so that a handful of media picked them to win R8. I just assume it may be mental at this point. Starting off 0-3 and losing all three by a total of 30 points may have hurt their confidence.

Dalton Hanback will get his yards and if Central gets rolling and gets out of their head this may be a very competitive game. R8 isn't as strong as it has been in the past but I think R7 is just as bad if not worse. I wouldn't be blown away if Central wins, but I am going to go with Fairview

Prediction: Fairview 41 Central 35

5A

Scottsboro vs. Russellville

Russellville made the right hire with John Ritter. He was Taylor Leathers before Taylor Leathers. However, they are still a couple of years away before they really make any noise. They were paper tigers earlier this year when they were ranked and beating teams that weren't that great. Scottsboro is peaking at the right time. This should be a good game, but I don't think RHS has enough.

Prediction: Scottsboro 21 Russellville 14

6A

Muscle Shoals vs. Albertville

This is Basdens year to win it. This is the best team MSHS has ever had IMO. Smothers transferring in from Athens has added a new dimension to this team. Albertville just happens to the first on the list.

Prediction: Muscle Shoals 55 Albertville 14

7A

Florence vs. Mountain Brook

Dee Beckwith is a special player with not only talent but leadership. Florence just doesn't have enough around him to compete with the brutal Birmingham region. Dee will get some highlight and probably score, but R4 hasn't raised their game to R3 levels yet.

Prediction: Mountain Brook 28 Florence 16

Edited by - TheMUBM on 11/04/2019 20:24:15

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  22:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mars Hill wins 63 to 7. I said 62 12. I was pretty much on point.

Waterloo loses 47 19, Summerhill hurt in first series. Kind of makes sense.

Collinsville 63 Colbert County 18 - Really thought this would be more competitive. Very impressed with Collinsville

Fyffe 48 Sheffield 0. I had it 48 to 8. Could have been worse, Fyffe called the dogs off.

Dont know the final but Lauderdale County won big, I thought Sylvania would play better.

Susan Moore 42 Colbert Heights 7. Didnt expect this to be competitive but I thought Colbert Heights may put up a bit more of a fight

Deshler 44 Danville 6. Kind of how I thought it would go but thought Danville may get a td or two in garbage time.

SJP 56 Brooks 42 no defense from either team, kind of what I expected Brooks made more mistakes.

Priceville 44 Rogers 23. Rogers led at half was slowing the game down but Pricevilles talent won out.

Fairview 46 Central Florence 20 This was close for awhile. Fairview pulled away. I thought it would be better

Scottsboro 17 Russellville 14. I had it 21 to 14, so exactly what I expected. Russellville in a year or two will be dangerous.

Muscle Shoals 61 Albertville 20. I had it 55 to 14, so again kind of what i expected. Unless Oxford plays an amazing game, no one is touching MSHS.

Florence 24 MTN Brook 21. I thought itd be competitive but really shocked that Florence won. FG as time expired.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07