Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Top Week 1 Matchups

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rooks26 Posted - 08/01/2023 : 12:50:42
I am new to the forum. Played and graduated from Addison in 2005.

I'd like to see the top matchups for week one. If all could add and give thoughts on the games. Thanks!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Northwest Posted - 08/07/2023 : 20:27:00
I think a game flying under the radar right now is 2A Tuscaloosa Academy vs. 3A Fayette County. TA is the favorite to win a stacked 2A Region 5 with Aliceville and Lamar County. Fayette returns a track-star RB but had coordinator leave to take the HC job at Winston County, who also just happens to be in 2A Region 5.
Rooks26 Posted - 08/07/2023 : 09:44:41
quote:
Originally posted by Northwest

Word on the street is that WC is running spread this season under the new HC.

quote:
Originally posted by Rooks26

Being from Addison, we host Winston County (that was hard to say lol) week 1 in a rivalry game. WC has won the last two meetings. I'd like to see the Dogs come out on top and get back on track in the county after last season.

I am not familiar with the new WC head coach or what he may run. I assume the game will be won in the trenches.

Glad to hear that. We have athletes that could matchup well. My concern was hoping we got more physical in the trenches from last year.

New word on the street is that Meek had three kids move. 2 to Lynn.
Northwest Posted - 08/04/2023 : 23:57:20
Word on the street is that WC is running spread this season under the new HC.

quote:

Being from Addison, we host Winston County (that was hard to say lol) week 1 in a rivalry game. WC has won the last two meetings. I'd like to see the Dogs come out on top and get back on track in the county after last season.

I am not familiar with the new WC head coach or what he may run. I assume the game will be won in the trenches.

Rooks26 Posted - 08/04/2023 : 10:34:58
quote:
Originally posted by WCGuru1

quote:

always a battle,
WC brings back 3 of the Starters on the OL, we lost 11 SR's last year, but most of the skill players are back. The OL/DL will be the strength of the team. Landon Nix on the OL/DL is a man child and should have been All State last year. Chris Clemons, Landon Kelly, Rakim Moore were all Starters last year as Sophomores and all Return,SR's to watch out for OL/DL NicK Moody returning starter, Galvin Lolley (OL), Marcus Blanton (RB/DB) and Austin Faulkner (DL) are all returning Starters and SR's.

I am ready for it to start. We lost several seniors as well, but should be good on the skilled players as we have a lot of young guys that should help in that area. I think we have 3 lineman returning, but will need to have improved as we got man handled in the three county games last year which is odd for us. I want to see us get back to the physicality we are usually known for.
WCGuru1 Posted - 08/03/2023 : 07:12:56
quote:

always a battle,
WC brings back 3 of the Starters on the OL, we lost 11 SR's last year, but most of the skill players are back. The OL/DL will be the strength of the team. Landon Nix on the OL/DL is a man child and should have been All State last year. Chris Clemons, Landon Kelly, Rakim Moore were all Starters last year as Sophomores and all Return,SR's to watch out for OL/DL NicK Moody returning starter, Galvin Lolley (OL), Marcus Blanton (RB/DB) and Austin Faulkner (DL) are all returning Starters and SR's.
GiglnTiger Posted - 08/01/2023 : 23:31:24
Kody, Comer slaughters Dadeville. Dadeville lost an entire team to graduation. The most interesting from your list is the Brantley/Luverne rivalry and it happening so early in the season.

If I had to narrow it down to the top 3 games for the week it would be

Hoover / Auburn
Reeltown / Tallassee
Brantley / Luverne

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Sloth Nationzz Posted - 08/01/2023 : 17:11:56
Welcome to the forums. Usually me and Kody do this closer to game time. Hate it was on the day I got my wisdom teeth out! I will provide some Montgomery area ones soon
kodyaufan2 Posted - 08/01/2023 : 15:57:00
I'll pick a Game of the Week for each class the week of the first games, but for now I'll just give a mixed-class list of games I'm looking forward to for Week 1/0, aside from those already mentioned. Some of them are between teams that will be near the top of their respective regions, some are of title-contending small schools punching way above their weight class, a few are actual heavyweight battles, and others are just intriguing for a variety of reasons ranging from rivalries to new coaches. (Home teams are listed first)

2A B.B. Comer vs 3A Dadeville

6A Chilton Co. vs 4A Bibb Co.

5A Guntersville vs 5A Southside-Gadsden

5A Moody vs 6A Pell City

6A Mountain Brook vs 7A Vestavia Hills

7A Hewitt-Trussville vs 7A Central-Phenix City

7A Hoover vs 7A Auburn

5A Citronelle vs 1A Millry

1A Brantley vs 2A Luverne

2A Clarke Co. vs 1A Sweet Water

1A Maplesville vs 1A Meek

1A Pickens Co. vs 2A Aliceville

2A Lamar Co. vs 1A South Lamar

2A Reeltown vs 5A Tallassee

4A T.R. Miller vs 3A Hillcrest-Evergreen

4A Deshler vs 3A Madison Academy

5A Gulf Shores vs 4A St. Michael

4A Booker T. Washington vs 3A Trinity

6A McGill-Toolen vs 4A Montgomery Catholic

3A Winfield vs 4A Dora

5A UMS-Wright vs 6A St. Paul's--A personal favorite of mine just for the name, "The Battle of Old Shell Road"

5A Vigor vs 6A Blount

4A American Christian vs 5A Demopolis

5A Ramsay vs 6A Hueytown

7A Smiths Station vs 5A Pleasant Grove

6A Saraland vs Lipscomb Academy (TN)

6A Spanish Fort vs 7A Fairhope

7A Foley vs 7A Prattville

7A Austin vs 6A Hartselle
TheMUBM Posted - 08/01/2023 : 14:25:41
Yeah Mars Hill was up 10-7 and running clock. They were deep in their own territory and lined up to punt. The punter was supposed to run it out of the back of the endzone and leave no time or as little as possible left. As he was running to the back of the endzone, he got hit, fumbled and Cullman recovered for a TD. One of the craziest finishes I have seen in awhile.
Rooks26 Posted - 08/01/2023 : 13:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

I am like most people, I pay more attention to my area than the rest of the state, although I do try to have some knowledge of what's going. That being said, the ones I am looking forward to opening week are:

Brooks vs Colbert County

Brooks is coming off a season without a playoff berth. Something that doesn't happen often. Colbert County steadily got better throughout the year last year. Colbert County owns the series at a 10-4 clip. But Brooks has won two in a row. Brooks will have to replace some early injuries for the time being and a good player who transferred, as well as a good coach who left for another position.

I have CCHS just outside my top ten in 3A. I think they could be pretty strong this year. While this game may not tell us a lot about Brooks, due to some of the nagging injuries, I think it may tell us a lot about Colbert County and if they can really pose a threat to Mars Hill in the region.

Mars Hill vs. Cullman

Mars Hill has slain the giant before. I know Cullman never wants that to happen again. But this will give us a good look at Hansen in his senior year. Kid is a dynamic player for Mars Hill. It will also let us see how Mars Hill replaces all-state wide receiver Damian Thompson who left for Rogers.

Florence vs. Pinson Valley

Pinson won a tough game last year, but ultimately had to forfeit. Florence has an uphill battle in 7A having to align against the Birmingham schools. I do think they have a very good coach, and were showing improvement last year. They lost some very talented kids, but I would like to see how the team responds under Morson's second year.

I like that Cullman/Mars Hill matchup. I believe Mars Hill will want to redeem their costly mistakes from last year and get the W. Cullman won in a weird way last year if I remember correctly.
TheMUBM Posted - 08/01/2023 : 13:09:03
I am like most people, I pay more attention to my area than the rest of the state, although I do try to have some knowledge of what's going. That being said, the ones I am looking forward to opening week are:

Brooks vs Colbert County

Brooks is coming off a season without a playoff berth. Something that doesn't happen often. Colbert County steadily got better throughout the year last year. Colbert County owns the series at a 10-4 clip. But Brooks has won two in a row. Brooks will have to replace some early injuries for the time being and a good player who transferred, as well as a good coach who left for another position.

I have CCHS just outside my top ten in 3A. I think they could be pretty strong this year. While this game may not tell us a lot about Brooks, due to some of the nagging injuries, I think it may tell us a lot about Colbert County and if they can really pose a threat to Mars Hill in the region.

Mars Hill vs. Cullman

Mars Hill has slain the giant before. I know Cullman never wants that to happen again. But this will give us a good look at Hansen in his senior year. Kid is a dynamic player for Mars Hill. It will also let us see how Mars Hill replaces all-state wide receiver Damian Thompson who left for Rogers.

Florence vs. Pinson Valley

Pinson won a tough game last year, but ultimately had to forfeit. Florence has an uphill battle in 7A having to align against the Birmingham schools. I do think they have a very good coach, and were showing improvement last year. They lost some very talented kids, but I would like to see how the team responds under Morson's second year.
Rooks26 Posted - 08/01/2023 : 12:53:39

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07