Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Games to Watch Week 0

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sloth Nationzz Posted - 08/23/2023 : 09:55:32
Hello and welcome back to my weekly series where I look into the top games of each classification and who I think will win. I started this in 2020, and it has been a major success. As always I try to get teams from all around the state. Let's get started!

7A: Auburn vs Hoover
After a great battle that saw the Tigers winning 17-14 last year, Auburn makes a trip up to play the famous Hoover Bucs. All offseason, I have heard that Hoover has an elite defense. Auburn is always a contender with Keith Etheredge. It will be interesting to see how they do on the road, in Hoover for the first game of the season. My Prediction: I think Hoover is going to make a statement and knock off Auburn in week one. Auburn will still be good, but Hoover gets revenge from last season. Final Score: Hoover 28 Auburn 10

6A: Saraland vs Lipscomb Academy(TN)
Well the 6A champions start their defense of a title against one of the best teams in the southeast. They open up with Lipscomb Academy, who lost to IMG last week 35-10. They lost Trent Dilfer to becoming UAB's head coach. However Lipscomb is expected to be a top program in the country still. Saraland returns a lot of their talent, and much of it has committed to division one programs. My Prediction: Maybe I am crazy, maybe I am biased, but I honestly think the Spartans get the victory. I will take Saraland to win and cement themselves as one of the best programs in the south! Final Score: Saraland 42 Lipscomb 38

5A: Hueytown vs Ramsay
This game last year stunned many of us, as Hueytown was coming off a state runner up in 2021. Ramsay beat Hueytown and many of us took notice. They went on to win state. Ramsay returns a lot of talent from last year's team. Hueytown gets a tall task to beating the Rams. My Prediction: I think Ramsay puts 5A on notice and let's them know, they are still the champs. Final Score: Ramsay 40 Hueytown 24

4A: Catholic Montgomery vs McGill-Toolen
Well these two programs met last year, and Catholic destroyed the Yellow Jackets 42-21(McGill got some late TD's). This year McGill gets to host Catholic Montgomery. Catholic returns their starting QB, Caleb McCreary. McGill has a new head coach, and he has a tall task, beating one of the best regular season teams in the state. My Prediction: It won't be as bad this year, but it won't be much better, give me the Knights. Final Score: Catholic 35 McGill 17

3A: Saint James vs Montgomery Academy
Well I could had picked many other games, but it has become a staple for the first Games to Watch to include these two. This will be the third year in a row for these getting featured. I am more interested to see how the Trojans do with a lot of new faces, but returning the majority of their skill positions. Montgomery Academy lost their head coach late in the cycle. They also have a lot of new faces and talent around. My Prediction: Last year Saint James won 42-14, it won't be that bad, but I still believe the Trojans will get the victory. Final Score: Saint James 28 Montgomery Academy 14

2A: Providence Christian vs Highland Home
Providence Christian has been slipping away from their success a couple of years ago. Perhaps this is the year that they get it all back together. Highland Home has as much hype as I can remember. They are producing a lot of high level talent. Providence has a tough task to getting back to their winning ways. My Prediction: Highland Home gets the victory, and starts their own adventure towards a title game. Final Score: Highland Home 28 Providence Christian 14

1A: Sweet Water vs Clarke County
In our final installment we look at Sweet Water vs Clarke County. This should be interesting to see how Sweet Water does with a new coach in charge. Clarke County will look to get back to winning championships like they did in 2021, but it is a tall task. My Prediction: I believe Sweet Water will get the victory and look towards climbing up the rankings. Final Score: Sweet Water 34 Clarke County 20

That is all for this weeks edition, feel free to comment, and give suggestions and feedback and even your own scores I love getting to see more previews. See you all next week! Also check out the AHSFHS podcast!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hthe3 Posted - 08/27/2023 : 08:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

quote:
Originally posted by hthe3

quote:
Well these two programs met last year, and Catholic destroyed the Yellow Jackets 42-21(McGill got some late TD's). This year McGill gets to host Catholic Montgomery. Catholic returns their starting QB, Caleb McCreary. McGill has a new head coach, and he has a tall task, beating one of the best regular season teams in the state. My Prediction: It won't be as bad this year, but it won't be much better, give me the Knights. Final Score: Catholic 35 McGill 17

Well I could had picked many other games, but it has become a staple for the first Games to Watch to include these two. This will be the third year in a row for these getting featured. I am more interested to see how the Trojans do with a lot of new faces, but returning the majority of their skill positions. Montgomery Academy lost their head coach late in the cycle. They also have a lot of new faces and talent around. My Prediction: Last year Saint James won 42-14, it won't be that bad, but I still believe the Trojans will get the victory. Final Score: Saint James 28 Montgomery Academy 14

New to this forum format so here's hoping my formatting isn't all wrong. I follow the CCC pretty closely so I had my eyes on these two games.

It's looking like Coach Johnson hasn't missed a beat improving on what Coach Blackwell built at Catholic. I would not be shocked to see them an Andalusia be in the semis again if the brackets allow for it.

I think it's going to be a long year for MA: very young team, playing a brutal schedule and essentially up two classifications because of the multiplier and "competitive balance". Hiring Coach McBride and bringing Coach Arant as OC (though I wasn't impressed by his last stint at OC) were the right calls given the timing of Coach Johnson's retirement. Hopefully the parents/AD/board at MA are patient because with all the sophomores and freshmen they have, they might grow into something once they (hopefully) drop back to 3A.

Weird to think sneaking into the playoffs this year (not sure it'll happen) could be bad for them.

How did you feel about Saint James?

As a disclaimer, my observations are from afar - pieced together from highlights and reporting - but barring injuries they should be back in the conversation for 3a champs. Still have Jackson, Holloway, and Houser plus the new RB had over 200 yards vs. MA. You have to imagine teams are going to over-commit to stopping Jackson and make it easier for other players to have big nights.

I do think, however, we'll be able to learn more once they play Handley, Charles Henderson, and Carrol so we have an idea of how they'll do vs teams with bigger lines. MA has some kids who should be big in a year or two but are just too young right now.
Sloth Nationzz Posted - 08/26/2023 : 15:37:46
quote:

quote:

New to this forum format so here's hoping my formatting isn't all wrong. I follow the CCC pretty closely so I had my eyes on these two games.

It's looking like Coach Johnson hasn't missed a beat improving on what Coach Blackwell built at Catholic. I would not be shocked to see them an Andalusia be in the semis again if the brackets allow for it.

I think it's going to be a long year for MA: very young team, playing a brutal schedule and essentially up two classifications because of the multiplier and "competitive balance". Hiring Coach McBride and bringing Coach Arant as OC (though I wasn't impressed by his last stint at OC) were the right calls given the timing of Coach Johnson's retirement. Hopefully the parents/AD/board at MA are patient because with all the sophomores and freshmen they have, they might grow into something once they (hopefully) drop back to 3A.

Weird to think sneaking into the playoffs this year (not sure it'll happen) could be bad for them.

How did you feel about Saint James?
hthe3 Posted - 08/26/2023 : 14:32:06
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

You are 100% correct Kody. Montgomery Academy would need to gain a single point this season to stay in 4A. That would be the third round of the playoffs.

The only team certain to move up is St. James.

Several are in danger of advancing if they reach the semi-finals this season. Those teams are Coosa Christian, Mobile Christian, Catholic Montgomery, UMS-Wright and Faith Academy. This list will grow with the addition of any other schools who reach Tuscaloosa in December.

I did some work on this recently and I think my calculations are correct but let me know if something is wrong.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

Good to know. Curious to see how this impacts scheduling among the CCC teams. Used to they'd all try to schedule each other when they were out of region, but it seems like schools have been less inclined to do so the past few years.
dparker Posted - 08/26/2023 : 12:50:47
You are 100% correct Kody. Montgomery Academy would need to gain a single point this season to stay in 4A. That would be the third round of the playoffs.

The only team certain to move up is St. James.

Several are in danger of advancing if they reach the semi-finals this season. Those teams are Coosa Christian, Mobile Christian, Catholic Montgomery, UMS-Wright and Faith Academy. This list will grow with the addition of any other schools who reach Tuscaloosa in December.

I did some work on this recently and I think my calculations are correct but let me know if something is wrong.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
kodyaufan2 Posted - 08/26/2023 : 11:58:52
quote:

quote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the competitive balance rule kicks in until the 2nd round of the playoffs. So even if Montgomery Academy makes the playoffs this year, they won't get any points towards competitive balance unless they win a playoff game. And since they didn't win one last year, they'd have 0 points, which would drop them back into 3A if that's where they would be on size.

And actually, now that I'm looking at the rule, I think they'd actually have to reach the Quarterfinals this year to not move back down to 3A.
hthe3 Posted - 08/26/2023 : 08:34:38
quote:

kodyaufan2 Posted - 08/23/2023 : 12:17:17
Hey everyone! I am also back this year making my picks for Game of the Week in each class. I'll try to mostly pick games that aren't apart of our new Barber Shop Gurus segment, although the analysis won't be as in-depth here.

7A: Hewitt-Trussville vs Central Phenix City
As usual, there will be no shortage of talent on the field in for these teams. Central has a dozen players that will likely play D1 ball. WR Cameron Coleman is a 5 Star recruit for the Red Devils and is currently committed to Texas A&M. Hewitt has the defending 7A Back of the Year in QB Peyton Floyd. The story in 7A is always the Thompson-Hoover matchup, but don't be surprised if this ends up being a preview of the state title game.
Pick: Central wins 45-35

6A: McGill-Toolen vs 4A Montgomery Catholic
McGill had a letdown year last season as they missed the playoffs, largely due to the depth of their region. They have some good players, though. QB Andrew Murchison returns to give them experience under center, and 3 Star CB Shemar Welch is a real playmaker. For defending 4A champs Catholic, they lost star RB Jeremiah Cobb, but they return their playmaking QB Caleb McCreary, a Troy commit. They'll hope he can finally lead them to their first state championship. Catholic dominated this one a year ago despite the two-classification difference, but I expect a closer game this year.
Pick: Catholic wins 31-21

5A: UMS-Wright vs 6A St. Paul's
I write about this game pretty much every year, because in my opinion it has the top rivalry name in the state, "The Battle of Old Shell Road," and it's always a close game. Those of you who love defense won't want to miss this one. Only once in the last 13 meetings have the two teams combined for more than 50 points. Keep an eye on Sophomore LB Anthony Jones for St. Paul's. He was all-state as a Freshman and will probably be recruited by every college in the Southeast. UMS leads the series all-time 23-21 and won 21-14 last year.
Pick: UMS-Wright wins 17-16

4A: Cherokee County vs 5A Alexandria
You probably already know the name Jacob Cornejo, but if you don't, you will soon. The Cherokee County RB is coming off a season where he ran for over 2,500 yards and 33 TDs, while also recording over 130 tackles on defense. He's a great player in his own right, but he will no doubt be helped by the return of three all-state linemen in Landon Ransum, Zach Gaylor, and Tae Diamond. After just one loss in the previous two regular seasons, Alexandria went a disappointing 5-5 a year ago. They'll find out where they stack up right out of the gate, as Cherokee Co. is a state title favorite in 4A.
Pick: Cherokee Co. wins 48-23

3A: Opp vs 4A Andalusia
Opp fell well short of expectations a year ago. They were a trendy pick to make a deep playoff run, but ended up not even winning their region while getting bounced early in the postseason. Opp will hope that another new coach will be the difference-maker this year. For Andalusia, their 35-7 win in this rivalry game kicked off a state championship season last year. Auburn commit and RB J'Marion Burnette is a Mr. Football candidate for the Bulldogs as they look to repeat as champions.
Andalusia has won 11 straight in the series and 15 of the last 16.
Pick: Andalusia wins 41-7

2A: Wicksburg vs 3A Houston Academy
This is a sneaky good game to open the season. Watch out for Wicksburg as a dark horse in 2A. They're in a tough region with Ariton and G.W. Long, but they were competitive against both last year. In fact, their 3 losses to 2A schools were by 14 to Ariton, 7 to G.W. Long, and 8 to B.B. Comer. Houston Academy went undefeated in the regular season a year ago only to have the misfortune of drawing under-seeded Mobile Christian in the first round. They'll be out for redemption, but will have to do it with a bunch of new faces after a massive senior class a year ago. This game will be much closer than the 28-0 scoreline a year ago.
Pick: Houston Academy wins 31-14

1A: Pickens County vs Aliceville
This is yet another Week 1 Rivalry Game, and last year gave us a rare blowout as Aliceville won 55-12. The previous five meetings had all been one-score games. All-time, the series is just as tight with Aliceville hold a 41-40-1 lead. The matchup to watch here is the explosive Aliceville offense against a talented Pickens Co. defense. All-state LBs Korbit Sommerville and Devin Cohen lead the way for the Pickens Co. defense, while Aliceville receivers Tyquan Simon and Keanthony Wilder return for their offense. Both teams are usually title contenders in their respective classes, so this is small-town football at its finest.
Pick: Aliceville wins 40-20

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07