Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Week 3 Reactions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hthe3 Posted - 09/09/2023 : 09:13:34
I mostly keep up with Montgomery area games, interested to hear what caught folks' attention in other parts of the state. Pulling my scores from AL.com so feel free to chime in with any corrections.

Catholic 56 - BTW 6: Catholic is good. Period. They don't seem to miss Jeremiah Cobb and are still running over other teams. Wouldn't be surprised if they and Andalusia play twice this year and split the games again. BTW had a lot of hype about taking a step up in the region but I just can't tell yet. Trinity and Catholic are good and Tallassee, with an admittedly tough schedule, has looked bad.

Trinity 43 - Southside Selma 26: Trinity is still Trinity it seems. I was curious about all the turnover in their Athletic Department and what's going on at the school for Shook to leave, but Seymore was a good hire. Need to see if their defense can slow down St. James enough to challenge for the region. Southside has had a good run under Coach Moody, and it looks like their offense is still good. They should make the playoffs again.

Montgomery Academy 38 - Bullock Co. 19: MA is going to live and die by how many TD's they can throw to DJ Vinson without getting picked off. He had 250 yards and 4TDs but looks like the qb threw a pick six on one of the passes to him. Good to get a win regardless, especially considering they'd had players out of practice and the game with the flu (per the Montgomery Independent). Bullock Co. looked to be making progress with Willie Spears as coach but he never seems to last long at any one job and now Bullock Co seems to be reverting to the mean for their program history.

St. James 63 - PCA 35: Not too worried about the Handley loss last week, STJ is very good. This game has me more curious about PCA scoring 35. Always seemed like football players going to private schools in Prattville would go to Autauga Academy or Edgewood instead.

Alabama Christian 30 - Lynn 20: weird non-region game considering the distance between the schools and the classification difference. Closer than last year but given AC's losses, that's to be expected. Really seemed to lean on the run game with two backs over 100 yards and 20 carries.

Auburn 28 - Dothan 27 (OT): Very interesting to see Dothan and Enterprise (despite the Central blowout) looking good this year. Dothan seems to really be focusing on good hires and program building after consolidating Dothan and Northview a few years ago. They might be a dangerous 4 seed in the playoffs.

As for Auburn, not sure what's going on with them but I expect them be fine. Good rule of thumb for this region of the state is that wherever folks are moving instead of Mongomery, they'll be good at football. Used to be Prattville, now it's Pike Road and especially Auburn. Heck, you could probably do a whole report on Prattville and Hoover. Their football success suffering as Auburn and Alabaster explode in population/development. Though, losing coaches like DuBose and Niblett will hurt any program.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Northwest Posted - 09/12/2023 : 13:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

quote:
Originally posted by mcslate

Speaking of 2A I'm looking forward to this week's Tanner at Falkville game. Tanner has close losses to a good 3A Lauderdale County team and 6A Mae Jemison. While Falkville may be 3-0 their opponents are a combined 0-9. This will be their first test. Tanner pulled off the upset a year ago. Winner of this game will likely be the frontrunner of that region.

Keep in mind when you read the new barber shop gurus that I wrote my tanner falkville write up yesterday because I pretty much said the same thing.

Yes, and Skyler Townsend is a phenomenal athlete. It'll be interesting to see if Falkville can keep the cap on him.
kodyaufan2 Posted - 09/12/2023 : 13:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by GiglnTiger

Just am FYI on Handley. They have nearly 30 seniors on the roster. More times than none that?s a dang good sign for championship material.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

I wish I had known that when I made my picks for the state title game several weeks ago. That's a scary amount of seniors for a program that is already one of the best year after year.
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/12/2023 : 12:48:43
Just an FYI on Handley. They have nearly 30 seniors on the roster. More times than none that?s a dang good sign for championship material.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

TheMUBM Posted - 09/12/2023 : 10:48:44
quote:
Originally posted by mcslate

Speaking of 2A I'm looking forward to this week's Tanner at Falkville game. Tanner has close losses to a good 3A Lauderdale County team and 6A Mae Jemison. While Falkville may be 3-0 their opponents are a combined 0-9. This will be their first test. Tanner pulled off the upset a year ago. Winner of this game will likely be the frontrunner of that region.

Keep in mind when you read the new barber shop gurus that I wrote my tanner falkville write up yesterday because I pretty much said the same thing.
mcslate Posted - 09/12/2023 : 10:35:12
Northwest Posted - 09/12/2023 : 09:25:37
2A seems like a classification that could get interesting the closer we get to the playoffs. Some people are already writing off Fyffe as a down-year quarter-final type team, after a close lose to a Geraldine team that's above average this season. I wouldn't jump the gun.

BB Comer and Highland Home are stacked with talent, the former having a couple D1 caliber playmakers getting after it on defense. The question this year will be, can HH keep from beating themselves. Vincent also seems ready to make some noise in the playoffs this year.

Region 5 is wild. Aliceville may not be what they were last year, but they're no slouch. Still, Tuscaloosa Academy appears to be the Top Dog (Did Lancaster really throw for 435 in that game? Holy cow!) The toughest part of Aliceville's schedule is over and I think they'll come back to life. Lamar County and Winston County will probably be in the mix as well come playoffs.

I think what was surprising in the Pisgah vs. Lexington game was the speed of Pisgah. That could spell trouble for playoff teams who've historically just counted on beating teams from North Alabama to the edge. Like I said, 2A will be interesting later on this year.

BamaJoe Posted - 09/12/2023 : 07:20:03
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

Keep an eye on Locust Fork going forward. I didn't think much of their blowout win against J.B. Pennington a couple weeks ago, but Pennington went down to the wire with Madison Academy, so that's looking like a solid win now.

Also, Childersburg looks to be a pretty good team for the first time in years. They should make the playoffs in what appears to be a pretty weak region.

Per channel 48 out of Huntsville Mad Acad was missing several offensive starters last week due to injury.

Go Eagles!
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/11/2023 : 20:51:02
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

Keep an eye on Locust Fork going forward. I didn't think much of their blowout win against J.B. Pennington a couple weeks ago, but Pennington went down to the wire with Madison Academy, so that's looking like a solid win now.

Also, Childersburg looks to be a pretty good team for the first time in years. They should make the playoffs in what appears to be a pretty weak region.

Childersburg is definitely a better team from the years past but 2 of those touchdowns are off fluke plays against Randolph County. A bunch of lucky hailmarys with one being caught for a score before the half and a kick return. Childersburg has some decent speed and they like to use him on scrambling to the edge and beating you but they make of costly mistakes/penalties from the unsportsmanlike stand point. Lots of potential but not a disipline team. Given the weak region I would go as far as saying they could be a potential second seed.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

kodyaufan2 Posted - 09/11/2023 : 19:25:57

Brian Posted - 09/09/2023 : 22:25:08
Anyone watch/know about McAdory-Bessemer City? Great win for BC. Was McAdory down any players?
dparker Posted - 09/09/2023 : 15:21:13
Piedmont was last 0-2 in 2004. The last time they were not ranked was 2008.

quote:
Originally posted by GiglnTiger

When was the last time Piedmont started 0-2 and when was the last time Piedmont was not ranked in the top 10 (since I?m sure they?ll now be out of the ASWA rankings this week)?

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
TheMUBM Posted - 09/09/2023 : 14:09:09
I usually watch a bunch of games on Friday and give my thoughts on those. But last night I went to my first game in a few years and it ran long so it was the only one I have any opinions on. I went because my nephew got to dress with the varsity.

West Morgan 83 Brooks 53

Brooks schedule for the last couple of years has been front loaded. No different this year, Mars Hill followed by West Morgan. #1 in 3A and #7 in 4A.

Brooks biggest problem is tackling. However, let's give credit to the West Morgan Rebels, they have some unbelievable athletes. #11 and #21 will give anyone fits.

Brooks has proven they can score on anyone, even super talented teams. This is the second week in a row they have had well over 400 yards of total offense. Just have to get some defense going.

West Morgan should easily win the region and should etch their way closer to that top tier of 4A north with Dora, Oneonta and Cherokee County. Brooks has a real shot at a 2 seed and could be a dangerous opponent for some teams in the playoffs.

mcslate Posted - 09/09/2023 : 13:15:08
BREWER 21 ARDMORE 19 - Only game I kept up with last night. I believe every team has one or two opponents on their schedule that they play regularly that's just a thorn in their backside no matter the talent level or coaching expertise. Whether its not catching the lucky breaks, getting jobbed on a bad call, or just playing flat. Like a bad road trip where a car overheats 100 miles after a tire goes flat. For Brewer, Ardmore is one of those teams. The Tigers had the size matchups on the lines that kept them from getting blown out. Twice Brewer was stopped on downs inside the Ardmore 5. Also a fumble return for a TD for Brewer was called back after a loooooong discussion. Ardmore has some speedy receivers but lack the passing attack to make the best use of them. 3rd through 7th in this Region should be a real toss up (though I'm close to ruling out West Point).

WEST MORGAN 83 BROOKS 53 - A real Playstation score right here. Most points ever scored by the Rebels and most ever given up bt Brooks. I knew WM had everybody back on offense but never would have thought 83. At the same time giving up 53 is alarming. Unless that defense improves it could be another 2nd round out for such a promising season.

SPARKMAN 21 AUSTIN 18 - Sparkman is one of those thorn in the backside teams for the Black Bears. Still like Austin to win the Region but this one could come back to bite in a tiebreaker situation.

hthe3 Posted - 09/09/2023 : 12:01:24
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

Willie Spears is the HC at bullock again?

Nah, he was just their most successful coach. I want to say he's starting/trying to start his own prep program? I'll have to go dig through the Indy's sports section archive. Lasted a year at Carver, two at Bullock, and one at Valliant Cross. Not sure what the deal is.
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/09/2023 : 11:13:51
When was the last time Piedmont started 0-2 and when was the last time Piedmont was not ranked in the top 10 (since I?m sure they?ll now be out of the ASWA rankings this week)?

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07