Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 White Plains @ Anniston canceled

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cwak Posted - 09/22/2023 : 17:21:56
The Anniston homecoming game was canceled after a student involved shooting on Tuesday. Annistons Facebook page is declaring that is was White Plains that pulled out and forfeited the game.
Odd situation no word yet form the AHSAA or White Plains yet.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/alabama-calhoun-county-schools-anniston-high-cancels-homecoming-game-shooting-shoutout-teen-injured-shot-white-plains-2023-2024-school-year-parade-south-highland-community-center
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheMUBM Posted - 09/30/2023 : 13:55:49
I think AHSAA made the right call. You set a dangerous precedent by allowing teams to forfeit games they weren't likely to win anyway. Last statistics I saw had Anniston as the 2nd highest crime rate in Alabama, behind Pritchard. But if you look at the top 10, Huntsville ranks 8th. Huntsville, which has become the largest city in Alabama, isn't often thought of as a high crime area, but it is. From what I understand Anniston had taken extra precautions to try to make this a safe environment.

I hate it for the kids for both teams. I am sure the kids at White Plains wanted to play too. I even saw facebook posts from White Plains citizens questioning the decision. We have seen a lot of crazy things this year in high school football from the situation at Sparkman/Hazel Green, the situation at Hueytown/Ramsay and I know of a few more that didn't make the news so I won't spell them out here, but they happened in places you wouldn't necessarily consider "dangerous."

I think we can civilly disagree here without it turning into a shouting match. I have been wanting to say this since this issue came up. I have texted with a few friends about it, but couldn't find the right words to put on this board. I still may not have found them, but I do agree with the AHSAA's decision. And those are words I have very rarely uttered.
BrianYoung Posted - 09/30/2023 : 13:40:19
Anniston at Piedmont game, Anniston crowd and team was no different than any other opponent. Play a good clean game everyone shook hands and fans from both sides exited with no problems. Same as last year.

And at Piedmont lots of fans cross paths after the game since Piedmonts boosters park behind the visitors stands.
powerlineman Posted - 09/30/2023 : 01:55:53
Yea I have doctors up there and DO NOT go without my weapon up there. It?s become a mini-Birmingham
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/26/2023 : 20:24:05
The AHSAA announced on Tuesday because of White Plains' forfeited football matchup against Anniston, White Plains is no longer eligible for the playoffs and all games against the program will be considered non-region games.

The announcement follows White Plains forfeiting its Class 4A, Region 4 matchup with Anniston on Friday, with the cancellation related to a shooting incident.

"Schools must play all other participating schools in its region to qualify for the championship program," the AHSAA 2023-24 sports book says. "If a school in a given region fails to qualify for the playoff program, a game with that school will be treated as a non-region game. The first four places in each region will be determined by the won-loss percentage against qualified region opponents."

"Therefore, all games versus White Plains this season will be considered non-region games by its region opponents and will not count in the Class 4A, Region 4 standings," the AHSAA added in the release.

Additional members of Class 4A, Region 4 include Handley, Jacksonville, Munford and Talladega. White Plains' only prior Class 4A, Region 4 matchup was a 41-0 loss to Handley.

White Plains' remaining schedule against Class 4A, Region 4 opponents includes Talladega on Oct. 6, Cleburne County on Oct. 13, Munford on Oct. 20 and Jacksonville on Oct. 27.

https://www.annistonstar.com/free/prep-football-white-plains-ineligible-for-playoffs-all-games-now-considered-non-region/article_43344abe-5cbf-11ee-b371-5f5052815e1e.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2ua6dOd9AT8iZJjm1Zxn73VTGC8bAMrO9JxjHQWJBCTrcQnRi0LLm3a2g_aem_AR8gnLaCEBNA_t7nOpBNHe6k5SutLDP6mWgquy_a5jUsdfqh0LUe1wt8pwF8GEGRays&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
GiglnTiger Posted - 09/26/2023 : 16:11:23
Anniston has become a very unsafe city. Last year I read it was the #1 city in Alabama for crime. When it comes to ensuring the safety of all that would be involved from the White Plains community, I think White Plains made the right call. A tough call but the right one.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
powerlineman Posted - 09/23/2023 : 02:12:18
Read today that the Calhoun County BOE said they cancelled the game. Weird

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07