Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Reactions 10/7/23

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheMUBM Posted - 10/07/2023 : 12:35:09
7A:

With Auburn struggling with Opelika, I wonder if anyone in the south will have anything for CPC. R4 continued to be wild and unpredictable again. Florence loses to a bad Bob Jones team, Sparkman pushes James Clemens. In fact, JCHS had to comeback to win that game.

6A:

Second week in a row Hartselle is involved in arguably the game of the week, but come out on the losing end this time 55-49 in double OT to Muscle Shoals. I have said I thought this was Basden's best team he has had at MSHS. Getting past HHS is a big deal. Just too bad this happens to coincide with the same year Saraland is probably the best team in the state regardless of class.

5A:

Scottsboro has been a great story this year, but Guntersville reminded everyone, you can't be the king until you take the crown. Pretty sure I picked Charles Henderson to win 5A south this year. Now here they are 3-3 after the loss to Rehobeth. Not sure what's going on there.

4A:

Nothing real crazy happened here, but West Morgan keeps lighting up the scoreboard putting up 56 on Deshler.

3A:

Straughn with a big upset over Houston Academy, putting themselves in the drivers seat in that region. Someone on this board mentioned it last week, but Trinity is just quietly taking care of business without much fanfare. Lookout for them.

2A:

Not surprised that Highland Home beat Luverne. I am somewhat surprised in the manner in which they won. Highland Home could be a real contender. I know I have said on this board before that Aliceville can't be judged by their record, and they proved that last night by knocking off a really good Lamar County team. That puts this region up in the air. Sulligent appears to have the inside track for now.

1A:

Lynn made a statement last night by dominating a good Pickens County team 28-6. Brantley was held scoreless by Georgiana. Georgiana is good but the season Brantly has had is pretty shocking. I don't know if anyone would've predicted them being 3-4 and having been shutout 3 times.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Northwest Posted - 10/08/2023 : 20:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

7A:

With Auburn struggling with Opelika, I wonder if anyone in the south will have anything for CPC. R4 continued to be wild and unpredictable again. Florence loses to a bad Bob Jones team, Sparkman pushes James Clemens. In fact, JCHS had to comeback to win that game.

6A:

Second week in a row Hartselle is involved in arguably the game of the week, but come out on the losing end this time 55-49 in double OT to Muscle Shoals. I have said I thought this was Basden's best team he has had at MSHS. Getting past HHS is a big deal. Just too bad this happens to coincide with the same year Saraland is probably the best team in the state regardless of class.

5A:

Scottsboro has been a great story this year, but Guntersville reminded everyone, you can't be the king until you take the crown. Pretty sure I picked Charles Henderson to win 5A south this year. Now here they are 3-3 after the loss to Rehobeth. Not sure what's going on there.

4A:

Nothing real crazy happened here, but West Morgan keeps lighting up the scoreboard putting up 56 on Deshler.

3A:

Straughn with a big upset over Houston Academy, putting themselves in the drivers seat in that region. Someone on this board mentioned it last week, but Trinity is just quietly taking care of business without much fanfare. Lookout for them.

2A:

Not surprised that Highland Home beat Luverne. I am somewhat surprised in the manner in which they won. Highland Home could be a real contender. I know I have said on this board before that Aliceville can't be judged by their record, and they proved that last night by knocking off a really good Lamar County team. That puts this region up in the air. Sulligent appears to have the inside track for now.

1A:

Lynn made a statement last night by dominating a good Pickens County team 28-6. Brantley was held scoreless by Georgiana. Georgiana is good but the season Brantly has had is pretty shocking. I don't know if anyone would've predicted them being 3-4 and having been shutout 3 times.

I think Highland Home and BB Comer might be the two best teams in 2A. Looking at the stats it seems like Aliceville had a quarterback change this week but don?t seem to miss a beat. With the toughest part of their schedule over, Winston County?s the only team to stand between them and the playoffs. How wild is that? The Lamar County vs. Sulligent game next week will be a barn burner. Sulligent has gotten behind RB Andrew Lowe but the crazy part is, he might be the second best running back on the field next week. Lamar County?s Jordan Godsey has rushed for 200+ yds in 2 out of the last 3 games. It might be a de facto Regional Championship game if not for the fact that Tuscaloosa Academy is sitting at one region loss waiting to pick off the rest of Region 5. It really is wide open!
TheMUBM Posted - 10/07/2023 : 16:20:08
Phinizee at Russellville is a special kid. He is only a soph. You will hear a lot about him the next couple of years.

Fort Payne is one of those teams I can never figure out. I don't know how they lost to Lee.

7A-R4, your guess is as good as mine. It's a crapshoot every week. They may not win a playoff game but it's exciting, reminds me of 2A R8, I don't know that anyone there will win a playoff game but it's a fun region to watch.
mcslate Posted - 10/07/2023 : 15:47:17
Went to Brewer hosting Russellville. I've NEVER been to a game where the fog set in as thick as this one did. From the Brewer side I could barely make out the silhouettes of the Russellville players on the other side but couldn't see their fans at all. To say both defenses lost sight of the ball carrier was an understatement. Brewer's coaching staff had to keep consulting the refs because the chains and down marker were not visible so they kept struggling with what play to call. If you catch a free minute look it up on NFHS right around the kickoff at the 2:20 mark. I thought the White Walkers from Game of Thrones were about to come run us all through.

Anyhow, this was the best Brewer has ever done against Russellville. Got to be the first time Russellville had their starters out there for the whole game (those 20 points in 2005 were mostly garbage time points against backups, I was there). Patriots scored 19 and left at least 3 touchdowns off the board whether it was a turnover in the red zone, stopped on downs inside the 10, or being tackled on the 1 on a long pass play at the end of the first half as time expired. On top of all that, Brewer had to use its backup QB. There are signs of progress in Somerville that I haven't seen in a long long time. As for Russellville, very solid team with an absolute beast running back. My biggest worry about them is their secondary gave up some huge plays. If they give it up to Brewer I think they struggle when they run up against a Ramsay or Pleasant Grove or any team with athletes to match them.

Wish I could have seen that Muscle Shoals/Hartselle game. One thing's for sure, Hartselle games aren't boring. I'm wondering what's happening at Fort Payne. They gave Scottsboro a heckuva game, played Gadsden City tough, but drop one to Lee-Huntsville who I admit has been a mild surprise this season (even if they did drop one to Mae Jemison).

Figured Guntersville/Scottsboro would be a dogfight (catfight?). Now that Crossville suspended for a year this is a sneaky tough Region with no easy outs. Also noticed Southside got a big win over Leeds, could the Panthers be a dark horse candidate for 5A north?

West Morgan put up basketball numbers again, BUT it looks like they did have a slower start so credit to Deshler. A rematch with Cherokee County is one I'd definitely like to see.

7A Region 4, 7A Region 4, what are we gonna do with you? At least we finally have a front runner now with the Jets. If they can get by Austin next week they should cruise to a Region title. 2 through 6 is up in the air but I'm not sure it matters. Question remains if this Region can get a playoff win.

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07