Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Playoff Sleepers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kodyaufan2 Posted - 11/06/2023 : 21:21:15
While we are only scoring the final four teams for the playoff picks contest this year, I know some of you really enjoy diving deep into picking your playoff brackets. So my goal this week is to post a new topic for discussion each day relating to the playoffs and your picks.

Today's topic: Sleepers

I'll let you define a sleeper however you'd like. Maybe it's a team who has to travel in the 1st round. Maybe it's an up-and-coming team that is being overlooked in the championship discussion. Or maybe it's a team that has a tough draw early on, but could really make some noise if they get past their first game or two. You can decide for yourself how to define a "sleeper," but I want to know which teams you think are sleepers to make a deeper run than people might expect. Feel free to elaborate on why.

7A: Dothan

Despite finishing 4th in Region 2, I think they were the 2nd best team there. I don't know if they'll beat Mary G. Montgomery, but if they do, I'd expect them to beat Enterprise again to reach the semis.

6A: Theodore, Gadsden City

Theodore--I think their 1st round matchup vs Hueytown will be tougher than a potential second round matchup with Benjamin Russell. They would then face a potential rematch with Spanish Fort in the Quarterfinals, who they only lost to 8-3.

Gadsden City--The Titans always seem to be a tough out whenever they make the postseason, and they already went blow for blow with their likely 2nd round opponent Hartselle once this season.

5A: Carroll/B.C. Rain

I'm putting these two together because I actually have this as a 2nd round matchup in my bracket. Carroll has a ton of speed, especially their QB, and I'm not sure Demopolis has faced a team that athletic since Montgomery Catholic. Every year a team from the Bay counties makes a surprisingly deep run in the postseason, and I'm banking on it being BC Rain assuming they can get past Valley first.

4A: Bayside Academy, St. Michael

These teams are from the same region and face tall tasks in the 1st round, but if you want to give yourself a chance in the playoffs you need quality play from the QB position, and these two teams are coached by former QBs who know how to get a lot out of the position.

3A: Piedmont

I never thought I'd write about Piedmont being a sleeper, but for most of the latter half of the season, it looked like they wouldn't even be in playoffs. But here they are, finally healthy after battling injuries early on, and peaking at the right time.

2A: Goshen, Locust Fork

Goshen--Their RB is good enough to give them a chance against just about anybody.

Locust Fork--Even though they're undefeated, no one seems to be giving them much of a chance at a deep run. It's understandable, since they've yet to play a very good team, but they've completely obliterated everyone they have played so far, so it's tough to tell just how good they are.

1A: Lynn

I'm not really sure this one belongs here, either, but it seems like everyone has already penciled in Coosa Christian as a lock for the state championship game. But Lynn was the best team in the best region in 1A this year, and after falling short of expectations last year in the playoffs, they have unfinished business this year.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MTeague Posted - 11/07/2023 : 22:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by hnr0812ic

Heres my playoff sleeper and its in 4A. The only reason I pick this team is because the odds are WAAAY against them. I love West Morgan and Drew Phillips (HC) but man i gotta tell ya that Etowah is loaded with athletes. I kinda look for this to be a game similar to WM/Brooks earlier in the season but the difference is Etowah does have the dudes to match the scoring and can really run down most folks. Also, look at their QB--man he is big and is scary for defenses. Plus Blake Bone (head baseball coach) took over the vacancy and he knows how to win. Not sure they will beat WM but if they were to then watch out for Etowah and those athletes....

Michael

The only way that Etowah beats West Morgan will be if WM's whole team catches the covid and has to forfiet. I'm sorry to say it but Etowah is just not a very good football team. This game won't be close.

WM - 63
Etowah - 20
hnr0812ic Posted - 11/07/2023 : 18:22:22
Heres my playoff sleeper and its in 4A. The only reason I pick this team is because the odds are WAAAY against them. I love West Morgan and Drew Phillips (HC) but man i gotta tell ya that Etowah is loaded with athletes. I kinda look for this to be a game similar to WM/Brooks earlier in the season but the difference is Etowah does have the dudes to match the scoring and can really run down most folks. Also, look at their QB--man he is big and is scary for defenses. Plus Blake Bone (head baseball coach) took over the vacancy and he knows how to win. Not sure they will beat WM but if they were to then watch out for Etowah and those athletes....

Michael

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07