SIDNEY LANIER BASEBALL 1950's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marengo
AHSFHS Moderator

303 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  11:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SEEKING INFO ABOUT A PLAYOFF GAME BETWEEN LANIER AND SWEET WATER SOMETIME IN THE EARLY TO MID FIFTIES. PLAYED IN SWEET WATER. OF COURSE LANIER WON, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SPECIFICS AS TO DATE AND SCORE. THE OLD TEAM MEMBERS,THE ONES WHO ARE LEFT CANNOT REMEMBER THE YEAR AND SCORE ONLY THAT IT TOOK PLACE.

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  23:09:14  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'd think the AHSAA would have the playoff information. It gets progressively harder to find information about sports, after football, it's a little harder to find info about basketball, then a little harder for baseball. Even nowadays, if teams play in tournaments or if a team is constantly losing, it's hard to find info about every game played.

I did a search in the ways I know how to make things pop up, and saw nothing in regards to the game.

I'd contact Ron Ingram at AHSAA and see if he can find anything.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  08:11:30  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The AHSAA does a poor job of maintaining links to the older records. I do know that the first baseball playoffs were in 1948 when Ramsay won the state championship. All schools were grouped into a single classification through 1961.

Sidney Lanier won the baseball title from 1950-1955 so it may be difficult to find out much without searching through the Montgomery Advertiser during those years. That is not available online.

I looked at a few seasons in the Tuscaloosa News but found nothing on the early rounds of the playoffs. The baseball playoffs at that time were much like basketball. All teams participated by district. Since Lanier and Sweet Water are both in District 3, they would have met early in the playoffs.

So, it is very likely they did play in a playoff game in the 1950s. Any details about that game may be lost to time.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  18:20:48  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't have much to do today so I went through the Tuscaloosa News and the Florence Times-Daily to find the playoff scores from this era. I was able to find a lot actually from 1950-1961.

But, nothing on a Sweet Water vs. Lanier game.

It seems the eight districts played a few rounds of playoffs to determine a District champion. Then those eight teams played single games in the first round and the Semi-finals. The championship series was a best-of-three event.

I was surprised at how many participants and games I was able to find. It is actually the first time I went looking for them.

You can see what I was able to find under the baseball playoffs section.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

marengo
AHSFHS Moderator

303 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  21:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS ONE DAY MAYBE I CAN GET TO MTGY AND LOOK IT UP ON MICROFILM
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  08:36:41  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I did my previous search, I also looked at Classmates yearbooks section. They had almost all of the Sidney Lanier yearbooks from the 50's, but only one Sweet Water book from the late 70's. In the Lanier annuals, each year they only said they won their district but not always who they played, and then it mentioned who they defeated for the state title. Baseball never has much info in the annuals, as it's usually ongoing when the annuals come in. Sometimes it lists half a seasons scores, and sometimes it lists the previous years results. Most times, it's nothing but a picture of the team. In looking up past SV scores, baseball records have always been frustrating to me.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

marengo
AHSFHS Moderator

303 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  19:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GAME WAS PLAYED MAY 18 1954 AT SWEET WATER LANIER WON 19-2 AND CLINCHED THE THIRD DISTRICT TITLE OF COURSE THEY WON THE STATE,ALSO. NEAL POSEY COACH FOR THE POETS AND FRED RAMSEY FOR THE BULLDOGS.COPIED FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE ADVERISER VIA NEWSPAPERS .COM.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07