Games of the Week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  10:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Sloth normally starts these discussions, but I've enjoyed them so I thought I'd go ahead and give mine.

7A: Theodore vs Fairhope
A region crown is on the line this week in Mobile. Both teams have had just one region game in which they struggled thus far--Baker for Theodore and Daphne for Fairhope. This should be a good one
Pick: Theodore wins 27-21

6A: Muscle Shoals vs Hartselle
I would have gone with Briarwood and Mountain Brook, but they played last night. This game is still a huge one, as both teams are unbeaten and a region crown is likely on the line tonight.
Pick: Muscle Shoals wins 35-27

5A: Pleasant Grove vs Parker
You know it's getting close to playoff time whe nenarly every big game across the state has a region title on the line. Parker has been a bit of a surprise in Region 5, as I don't think many would have picked them to be the last unbeaten team standing in the region. Pleasant Grove struggled last week with Fairfield, which brings up some questions about just how good they are. Although Ramsay is technically still in the mix, the region title will likely be decided tonight.
Pick: Pleasant Grove wins 35-26

4A: Handley vs Cherokee County
This is a very murky region, so while the winner won't necessarily have the region locked up, they will control their own destiny the rest of the way. Either of these teams could make a run to the state championship game. I think Handley eventually loses a game in region play, but I don't think it happens this week.
Pick: Handley wins 26-21

3A: Opp vs Wicksburg
I admittedly know nothing about either of these two teams outside of looking at the schedules this year. But a region title is potentially on the line. The winner will take over sole possession of first in the region, and Opp could clinch the region title with a win and a Slocomb loss.
Pick: Opp wins 38-21

2A: Lexington vs Mars Hill
After nearly getting upset by Colbert County last week, Mars Hill's perch atop the region certainly has to be called into question. Lexington will likely be a trendy upset pick this week, but until they actually lose a region game, it's hard far me to pick against Mars Hill.
Pick: Mars Hill wins 41-28

1A: Notasulga vs Maplesville
Notasulga almost pulled off this upset last year, but came up just short. A couple weeks ago I would have definitely taken them to get it done this year, but after seeing their result against Loachapoka last week, I'm having doubts that they can beat Maplesville.
Pick: Maplesville wins 26-22

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  12:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kody for filling in for me, I had a very busy Thursday and never got around to writing my Games to Watch so let us begin on this beautiful Friday in October

7A: Central Phenix City vs Pratville
Central Phenix City just came off of a very emotional win over Auburn, their biggest rival. This feels like what happened with Helena last week, after an emotional win they slept walk into Chilton County and almost got upset because of it. This feels eerily similar to that, however Pratville is a team you can not sleep walk into. Pratville is a team that could make a run in the playoffs and be in the semi finals. CPC is now the team to beat in the south, will they continue to prove that? or will they stumble against a surging Lions squad. My Prediction: CPC will struggle but they will win in the end after a tough battle with a rising team. Central Phenix City wins 28-20

6A: Hartselle vs Muscle Shoals
I wanted to pick another game but this game is too juicy to resist. If I did not live like 3 or 4 hours away from this game, I would totally go buy a ticket and enjoy this matchup. I did not expect Hartselle to be this good this year, I won't lie to you. I expected Muscle Shoals to be the team as always, but a team that can't seem to get to the title game. Is this the year that Muscle Shoals finally makes it to the title game and secures the title? I personally think these two teams are the two teams in the semi finals to represent the north, sorry Clay-Chalkville. My Prediction: I think Muscle Shoals has been in this position before and has won big time games like this, maybe not in the playoffs but in the regular season. Hartselle will get their revenge in late November however, but for now Muscle Shoals takes the win. Muscle Shoals wins 38-35

5A: Lincoln vs Alexandria
Not many great games this week in 5A, almost did the same game but in honor of Kody doing the games for me this week, I will preview his Lincoln Golden Bears matchup this week. Lincoln has been surprising this season in my eyes as they have reeled off 3 straight victories. If they win this game, it will truly shake up the region I think a different team in this region will be making a deep run, not named Alexandria. Alexandria, however is a very very good team and has proven me wrong this season as I thought they would take a step back. They have not and are surging towards a big time game against Leeds. My Prediction: I think Lincoln will give them a great game, a game people might not expect, I think Lincoln will lead at halftime but Alexandria will comeback and win in a scare. Alexandria wins late 31-27.

4A: Central Florence vs Priceville
This game is very interesting especially for playoff seeding. Central Florence fell victim to looking ahead to this game last week as they were upset by West Morgan. Priceville has been a pleasant surprise to me as I think they could contend, but I still have Brooks taking the 4A title this season, especially after last weeks win, scoreboard doesn't tell the tale. Priceville only won 6 games last season, could they tie that win total after this week? Or will Central Florence get back on the right track? My Prediction: I believe Priceville will continue to make noise and take down Central Florence. Priceville wins and secures their 2 seed. Priceville wins 21-20

3A: Geraldine vs Sylvania
I remember when Sylvania almost took down Fyffe and many people thought that the end of the long winning streak was coming for Fyffe. Well, I think the streak will end to Scottsboro, but that is not the point. These two teams have been pretty good and both have a shot to claim the second seed in the region. Geraldine has been nice to watch continue to rise. Sylvania, in my opinion has not been getting the respect they deserve, that changes tonight. My Prediction: Sylvania takes down Geraldine and continues to be one of the biggest surprises this season. Sylvania wins 20-14.

2A: Mars Hill vs Lexington
Lexington vs Mars Hill is very intriguing after last week. Mars Hill probably should've lost last week, but they didn't. Lexington seems to be more together than Mars Hill right now and could be looking to make a statement. Mars Hill not ready for 3A after this season? we will see. My Prediction: Mars Hill was looking ahead last week and will come out red hot and it will be enough to take them to a win. Mars Hill wins 24-18.

Notasulga has been basically unstoppable so far this season. Maplesville has also been a wrecking ball and has crushed everyone who dare challenge them. This game will be good and I will surely be keeping up with this one. This will decide the region championship, of one of the toughest regions in the whole state. I think these two teams and Keith will be in the title picture at the end. My Prediction: I may be crazy, but I think Notasulga is really good this year, maybe 1A title champions after Keith lost. I think Maplesville is good as always but I think Notasulga is now the team to beat in 1A with Brantley. Notasulga wins 43-37.

That is it for this week hope to be back for next Thursdays edition and I look forward to it. Have a good one!
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  12:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was posting as ya'll were.

Some shoals area games to watch this week.

6A
Muscle Shoals vs Hartselle

Likely for the region title, this is a battle between two major players in 6A North this year. Both teams are a bit ahead of schedule in my opinion. Muscle Shoals hasn't really played much of a schedule yet, other than Florence, and I could argue Florence lost that game more than Muscle Shoals won it. I wouldn't say Hartselles has been much better though. That being said, regardless of the schedule they have done what they were supposed to and come into this game undefeated. Hartselle is coming off their biggest contest of the year where they were able to knock off a pretty good Athens team 45 to 34. I think Hartselles dual threat QB and solid defense will be well more than MSHS has seen this year and will be too much for the Trojans.

Prediction: Hartselle 24 MSHS 21

4A
Central Florence vs Priceville

After being upset last week by an upstart West Morgan program, Central looks to get back into the win column against a very solid Priceville team. Both teams sit 3-1 in the region with Pricevilles only lost to region-leading Brooks and Centrals only loss being last week to West Morgan. This game could go a long way to determining playoff seeding. Both teams feature run-heavy offenses that utilize multiple talented backs. Central is a bit more apt to throw the ball down the field from time to time but expect this game to be played mostly in the trenches. This one will be fun.

Prediction: Priceville 43 Central Florence 31

Mars Hill vs Lexington

Had you said at the beginning of the year this game could be for the region title, you probably would have been laughed out of the room. I think everyone expected Lexington to be much improved, but they are playing beyond what I think most people thought they could do. Mars Hill hasn't been as dominant as they have in the past, but they keep winning region games. Last week they came back to beat a hungry Colbert County team, 25 to 20. Many mistakes hurt them, as they amassed over 500 yards of offense but still had to eek out the win. Lexington has survived by playing tough defense and relying on offense standouts Traffenstedt and Lard, but last week they finally got a healthy Devin Word back on the offensive side. If Mars Hill can limit their mistakes they are still hard to beat, but Lexington comes in hungry looking for the huge upset. I am kind of back and forth on this one, but I feel the upset brewing.

Prediction: Lexington 29 Mars Hill 17

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/08/2021 12:49:15
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  13:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not many great games this week in 5A, almost did the same game but in honor of Kody doing the games for me this week, I will preview his Lincoln Golden Bears matchup this week. Lincoln has been surprising this season in my eyes as they have reeled off 3 straight victories. If they win this game, it will truly shake up the region I think a different team in this region will be making a deep run, not named Alexandria. Alexandria, however is a very very good team and has proven me wrong this season as I thought they would take a step back. They have not and are surging towards a big time game against Leeds. My Prediction: I think Lincoln will give them a great game, a game people might not expect, I think Lincoln will lead at halftime but Alexandria will comeback and win in a scare. Alexandria wins late 31-27.

I appreciate the shout-out, but there's probably not a chance in the world that Alexandria beats us by less than 30. But then again, I'm still not entirely sure how good anyone in our region is other than Alexandria. We almost beat Leeds, then we lost to Center Point 40-10, but then Leeds beat Center Point 28-0 last week. The last playoff spot probably comes down to us and Moody, and I don't know what to expect there either cause we played Leeds closer than Moody did, and yet we only beat St. Clair 14-0 while Moody beat them 63-0.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  13:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

This game is very interesting especially for playoff seeding. Central Florence fell victim to looking ahead to this game last week as they were upset by West Morgan. Priceville has been a pleasant surprise to me as I think they could contend, but I still have Brooks taking the 4A title this season, especially after last weeks win, scoreboard doesn't tell the tale. Priceville only won 6 games last season, could they tie that win total after this week? Or will Central Florence get back on the right track? My Prediction: I believe Priceville will continue to make noise and take down Central Florence. Priceville wins and secures their 2 seed. Priceville wins 21-20

Just to be clear, a win by Priceville won't secure them a #2 seed in the region. I haven't looked through all the tiebreakers, but if they win against Central and West Limestone wins out, then West Limestone would get the 2 seed if Brooks beats Central as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  16:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about that, my bad but if they win they will be in good playoff position. Also I believe in Lincoln tonight!!! For you my friend Kody
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine this nightmare scenario for Central Florence. A week ago Central was ranked for the second week in a row and it was the first time in a boatload of years they have been ranked.

Imagine it playing out like this.

Brooks goes on to win out in the region and finishes 7-0

Priceville beats Central tonight then loses to West Limestone, but wins all other region games and finishes 5-2

West Limestone finishes out without losing the rest of their region games and finishes 5-2.

West Morgan loses tonight to Brooks but wins their remaining region games and goes 4-3.

Central loses tonight to Priceville then to Brooks and goes 4-3

The final tally would be

1.) Brooks
2.) West Limestone by virtue of tie breaker over Priceville
3.) Priceville
4.) West Morgan by virtue of tie breaker over Central

So in this scenario (may not happen, but possible) Central goes from undefeated and ranked, having knocked off defending region champ West Limestone to not even qualifying for playoffs.

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/08/2021 16:50:58
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2021 :  07:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Kody for filling in for me, I had a very busy Thursday and never got around to writing my Games to Watch so let us begin on this beautiful Friday in October

Central Phenix City just came off of a very emotional win over Auburn, their biggest rival. This feels like what happened with Helena last week, after an emotional win they slept walk into Chilton County and almost got upset because of it. This feels eerily similar to that, however Pratville is a team you can not sleep walk into. Pratville is a team that could make a run in the playoffs and be in the semi finals. CPC is now the team to beat in the south, will they continue to prove that? or will they stumble against a surging Lions squad. My Prediction: CPC will struggle but they will win in the end after a tough battle with a rising team. Central Phenix City wins 28-20

I wanted to pick another game but this game is too juicy to resist. If I did not live like 3 or 4 hours away from this game, I would totally go buy a ticket and enjoy this matchup. I did not expect Hartselle to be this good this year, I won't lie to you. I expected Muscle Shoals to be the team as always, but a team that can't seem to get to the title game. Is this the year that Muscle Shoals finally makes it to the title game and secures the title? I personally think these two teams are the two teams in the semi finals to represent the north, sorry Clay-Chalkville. My Prediction: I think Muscle Shoals has been in this position before and has won big time games like this, maybe not in the playoffs but in the regular season. Hartselle will get their revenge in late November however, but for now Muscle Shoals takes the win. Muscle Shoals wins 38-35

I remember when Sylvania almost took down Fyffe and many people thought that the end of the long winning streak was coming for Fyffe. Well, I think the streak will end to Scottsboro, but that is not the point. These two teams have been pretty good and both have a shot to claim the second seed in the region. Geraldine has been nice to watch continue to rise. Sylvania, in my opinion has not been getting the respect they deserve, that changes tonight. My Prediction: Sylvania takes down Geraldine and continues to be one of the biggest surprises this season. Sylvania wins 20-14.

Lexington vs Mars Hill is very intriguing after last week. Mars Hill probably should've lost last week, but they didn't. Lexington seems to be more together than Mars Hill right now and could be looking to make a statement. Mars Hill not ready for 3A after this season? we will see. My Prediction: Mars Hill was looking ahead last week and will come out red hot and it will be enough to take them to a win. Mars Hill wins 24-18.

Notasulga has been basically unstoppable so far this season. Maplesville has also been a wrecking ball and has crushed everyone who dare challenge them. This game will be good and I will surely be keeping up with this one. This will decide the region championship, of one of the toughest regions in the whole state. I think these two teams and Keith will be in the title picture at the end. My Prediction: I may be crazy, but I think Notasulga is really good this year, maybe 1A title champions after Keith lost. I think Maplesville is good as always but I think Notasulga is now the team to beat in 1A with Brantley. Notasulga wins 43-37.

That is it for this week hope to be back for next Thursdays edition and I look forward to it. Have a good one!

I read your 3A write up. You are absolutely correct. Sylvania deserves a ton of credit for what they have done so far. No one was expecting much from them this year. Coach Vann in his first year but man they are playing hard. I think you are missing the mark a little on Scottsboro and Fyffe. I seriously doubt Fyffe loses a regular season game now. Scottsboro is not very good this year. They are playing a lot of very young kids. Plainview was Fyffe's biggest landmine to start the year. Their QB broke his hand against us (Pisgah) and their hoss of a Running/fullback and DB tore his ACL the week before Fyffe. Now Plainveiw has another starter out with a broken leg. Those guys are seriously bit by the injury bug. Fyffe will probably make it to the 3rd round this year. Then again Benefield so they may win 5 more straight.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  11:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

quote:

I read your 3A write up. You are absolutely correct. Sylvania deserves a ton of credit for what they have done so far. No one was expecting much from them this year. Coach Vann in his first year but man they are playing hard. I think you are missing the mark a little on Scottsboro and Fyffe. I seriously doubt Fyffe loses a regular season game now. Scottsboro is not very good this year. They are playing a lot of very young kids. Plainview was Fyffe's biggest landmine to start the year. Their QB broke his hand against us (Pisgah) and their hoss of a Running/fullback and DB tore his ACL the week before Fyffe. Now Plainveiw has another starter out with a broken leg. Those guys are seriously bit by the injury bug. Fyffe will probably make it to the 3rd round this year. Then again Benefield so they may win 5 more straight.

Go Eagles!

I think 3A is definitely a lot more wide open than we thought coming into the season. Fyffe doesn't seem as good as they have been, and Piedmont looks vulnerable as well after that Ohatchee loss. Montgomery Catholic looks like the team to beat, but we'll see how they handle Trinity. Then you've got the entire Region 1 where any one of their playoff teams could go all the way.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  21:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power is in the south but Winfield is dangerous
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2021 :  09:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

Teams like Winfield are always dangerous, because all that's really known about them is that they're in a relatively weak region on paper in terms of there not being another team in their region that would appear to pose much of a threat at making a deep run. But as we've seen before, sometimes what is assumed to be a weaker region can turn out to be right the opposite and have all four teams win in the first round.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2021 :  12:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

Teams like Winfield are always dangerous, because all that's really known about them is that they're in a relatively weak region on paper in terms of there not being another team in their region that would appear to pose much of a threat at making a deep run. But as we've seen before, sometimes what is assumed to be a weaker region can turn out to be right the opposite and have all four teams win in the first round.

Their non-region wins over Fayette County and Northside are what really impresses me. You're right, I don't think their region is all that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07