Any surprise playoff teams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robinsonakr
AHSFHS Forum Master

116 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  12:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious if there was any team/teams or classification that had some teams in it no one expected to make it this far?

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

640 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  15:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top 3 biggest surprises to me personally have been.

1.) Fairview. I had them losing going away to Fairfield in the first round.

2.) Highland Home: Really had no sense of this team and would've never thought they'd be alive in quarters.

3.) Good Hope. I had them losing, albeit very close to Central Florence in the first round. So I wasn't shocked that they made it past Central in a close game, but I certainly didn't have them making it
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

266 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  16:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest so far has to be Woodland. 3-7 in the regular season and a 4 seed and they're in the quarterfinals and made it further than two of the teams in their region that beat them.

Fairview is also a surprise because I had them as underdogs in both their first two games.

Highland Home as well, because I had Elba winning the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Moderator

283 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  16:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Top 4 Biggest Surprises

1. Highland Home: I saw them play early in the season, and they were not a good football team at the time. Their coach really turned this team around.

2. Parker: No one was talking about them upsetting Alexandria, who I had in the semi-finals. I think they win this week and punch their ticket to the semis

3. Hillcrest Evergreen: This team came back from a 37-12 margin on the road last week. I thought Thomasville could've knocked them out in the 1st round.

4. Woodland: a 3-7 team in the regular season is in the quarterfinals. Who would've guessed that?
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1434 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  16:19:02  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Faith Academy surprised me. They did not beat a single team in the regular season with a winning record. Now granted all their losses were close but I just did not see them getting past Central Clay County at all.

And I agree with Highland Home. I did not see that coming either. They have Lanett this week so that party may well be over. But is has been a great run for them.

I think most everyone had 7A pegged with those four teams. The Mobile area is down this year. I did not have much faith in Fairhope and Theodore.

The most wide open Classification I think is 4A. I could see any of six teams winning it all right now. I am very interested in seeing how far Hueytown can go with this offense. All the Way? Will be fun to watch for sure.

I think Sweet Water is hitting their stride now and seem to be back to what we all knew for a decade under Stacy Luker.

Lastly I do not see anyway anyone gets close to Catholic Montgomery this year. We can see how they do next year in 4A.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

640 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  18:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason I didn't include Woodland was because I thought they had a real shot to beat a terrible Cedar Bluff team from a weak region. I didn't have the never to pick them but I thought they had a chance.

I had Parker vs Pleasant Grove as my north bracket finale.
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

266 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2021 :  14:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

The only reason I didn't include Woodland was because I thought they had a real shot to beat a terrible Cedar Bluff team from a weak region. I didn't have the never to pick them but I thought they had a chance.

I had Parker vs Pleasant Grove as my north bracket finale.

I think I mentioned in a different thread on here that I had Cedar Bluff on upset alert against Woodland in the first round. But like you, I didn't have the nerve to pick them to win outright. Their second round win over Meek was what really shocked me. I had Meek making the quarterfinals from the start.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

640 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  19:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

Faith Academy surprised me. They did not beat a single team in the regular season with a winning record. Now granted all their losses were close but I just did not see them getting past Central Clay County at all.

And I agree with Highland Home. I did not see that coming either. They have Lanett this week so that party may well be over. But is has been a great run for them.

I think most everyone had 7A pegged with those four teams. The Mobile area is down this year. I did not have much faith in Fairhope and Theodore.

The most wide open Classification I think is 4A. I could see any of six teams winning it all right now. I am very interested in seeing how far Hueytown can go with this offense. All the Way? Will be fun to watch for sure.

I think Sweet Water is hitting their stride now and seem to be back to what we all knew for a decade under Stacy Luker.

Lastly I do not see anyway anyone gets close to Catholic Montgomery this year. We can see how they do next year in 4A.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

As a Brooks fan, I would be interested to know which 6 you see as viable champions.
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1434 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of the eight teams remaining in 4A the only two I do not think have a chance would be Jackson and Good Hope. I do not think Jackson will beat Handley and would lose to American Christian if they play next week. They were already beaten by Vigor and I do not see them beating Vigor if they played again.

I do firmly believe Brooks will defeat Oneonta so I guess I could have thrown them out also. Oneonta already beat Good Hope pretty convincingly a few weeks ago. Even if Good Hope could beat Madison Academy they would have to get past Brooks or Oneonta again. I do not see that happening.

If I had to pick today Brooks and American Christian would be my favorites. Oh yea, I am not just saying this to make you feel good. I do believe this after seeing the results of the first two rounds.

The only reason I give Handley any chance at all is I think there is a chance they beat Jackson and on a good day could beat American Christian or Vigor to reach the title game.

Having watched a lot of teams win championships over the years I have learned to never disrespect any team that reached the title game the previous season. It seems the teams that have been in these games recently perform better on the big stage. Most of the time, not all the time.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

640 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2021 :  18:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is what confused me, because I have Jackson beating Handley this round. I figured Good Hope was one of the teams, but couldn't figure out the other. No disrespect to any team. If you have made it this far, you've accomplished a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07