3A Championship Game
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2021 :  14:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Piedmont overcame a 29-6 halftime deficit to beat Montgomery Academy 35-33 in what was a very weird game all around. MA scored on a blocked punt and had a picked six in the first half. Piedmont reeled off 5 straight TD drives after trailing 21-0. MA trailed 35-29 in the 4th before their defense recorded a safety with about 5 minutes left. They then drove inside the Piedmont 10 trailing 35-31 before fumbling with 2 minutes left. Their defense then came up with a second straight safety to make the score 35-33, but their offense then turned the ball over on downs with under 30 seconds left.

I was unable to watch most of the game, but having kept up with it on StatBroadcast, it seems like on both safeties, Piedmont deliberately had their punter run all the way back into the end zone and killing time before running out of bounds. I would assume they didn't want to risk another blocked punt. Anyone who watched the game feel free to correct me. Seems to have been just a crazy game.

bigcdiddy16
Forum Member

40 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2021 :  07:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct. Piedmont had their punter run out of the back of the endzone both times to try to kill some clock and not risk getting another punt blocked. The second time seemed like a risky decision with it putting them up by only 2 points (35-33). Especially considering the week before Montgomery Catholic lost to MA on a field goal.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2021 :  08:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigcdiddy16

You are correct. Piedmont had their punter run out of the back of the endzone both times to try to kill some clock and not risk getting another punt blocked. The second time seemed like a risky decision with it putting them up by only 2 points (35-33). Especially considering the week before Montgomery Catholic lost to MA on a field goal.

I kind of thought the same thing but Piedmonts defense just would not allow MA to get a pass off. Good grief they got after that kid on the last couple drives.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  10:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

quote:

I kind of thought the same thing but Piedmonts defense just would not allow MA to get a pass off. Good grief they got after that kid on the last couple drives.

Go Eagles!

Yeah I was able to watch about the last 90 seconds, and every play it seemed like the guy was getting hit. I think the box score showed he was only actually sacked twice, but I think both were on that final drive.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  14:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

quote:

Go Eagles!

Yeah I was able to watch about the last 90 seconds, and every play it seemed like the guy was getting hit. I think the box score showed he was only actually sacked twice, but I think both were on that final drive.

I got to watch most of the 4th and they were really putting a lot of pressure on him. The drive before the final drive they were running the ball with #6 and Piedmont couldn't stop him. Then they tried a power sweep to #32. He and the QB looked to get mixed up on the exchange, they ended up fumbling inside the 10 if I remember the yard line correctly. It really looked to be a good game. From what I heard Piedmont executed better but MA got the shock plays like a blocked punt.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07