General Discussion
 AHSFHS Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dparker
Forum Admin

1439 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2023 :  15:50:14  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those of you who listened to our first podcast I would like to get some input from you.

What topics are you wanting us to cover? We are new at this, at least I am, so I'm interested in hearing from you about some things you would like to hear us discuss or topic to bring up. We are still working on a format to cover everything and should be set by the time the season begins.

I have gone back and forth about some things like choosing a team of the week. I just don't like the idea of singling out one team when there are usually so many who deserve recognition. But we could do that.

Right now we will give you information about the things coming up on the website the next few weeks and once the season starts we will cover the 'games of the week' and the best games for the next week.

Later we may have a guest from time to time. Not anyone famous too much just someone you should know who influenced high school football in the state.

I am thinking about doing something like a spot for the history of the game. I have tons of little tidbits about stuff that happened in high school football games over the past 100 years that may be interesting.

Anyway let me know what you think and thanks for listening. I promise I will get better at this. Thanks to Kurt for putting it all together and TP for his input.

Let us know.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

307 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2023 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thought that popped in my head while listening to the first episode (congrats BTW). Might bang out a few minutes of discussion. It seemed like the smaller schools had a higher turnover rate on head coaches than the bigger schools did. Is that common? I'd think with a smaller school coaches would be a little more attached to the community but I guess money talks if a head coach or coordinator spot at a bigger school opens up.

Edited by - mcslate on 08/10/2023 19:34:39
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  00:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If youre going to talk about games of the week, I?d try to find a game of the week from each region or try to find a few from each classification. I?m a smaller school fanatic and like to read and hear about those smaller schools 1A thru 3A. I think they get snubbed a lot by the bigger media outlets like the Birmingham news and what not. If its a rivalry game try to get some story details or history on why it?s a rivalry

A few other areas to always keep watch on are on Danny Horn and Terry Curtis and the records they are shattering and chasing.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1439 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  08:16:44  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We try to treat each classification equally but that can prove difficult at times. We do have a couple of things planned that will bring light to some of the 1A-3A schools this season.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

271 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  13:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GiglnTiger

If youre going to talk about games of the week, I?d try to find a game of the week from each region or try to find a few from each classification. I?m a smaller school fanatic and like to read and hear about those smaller schools 1A thru 3A. I think they get snubbed a lot by the bigger media outlets like the Birmingham news and what not. If its a rivalry game try to get some story details or history on why it?s a rivalry

A few other areas to always keep watch on are on Danny Horn and Terry Curtis and the records they are shattering and chasing.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm planning on doing it today, so I may have more feedback then. And I apologize if any of this was already addressed in the first episode.

I definitely like the idea of giving updates about coaches or players who are closing in on records, especially records like we had last year with Piedmont QB Jack Hayes chasing the all-time records for yards accounted for. Not sure where he sits as far as career yards, but I know I've heard Westminster Christian has a QB who could potentially set some records in their offense.

But seeing how gathering that sort of data can be difficult during the season (the AHSAA website sometimes doesn't update records until after the season), and the fact that there may always be major records broken each season, I think even having a segment highlighting some of the top individual performances across the state each week. I think that would be a good way to keep folks engaged with what's happening in other parts of the state outside of their region.

I remember a few years ago, al.com did something similar, and every week they include the stats of this one kid from I believe it was North Jackson (I can't remember his name) who had come out of nowhere and was putting up ridiculous numbers every week. I think he had a game where he ran for like 350 yards on 9 carries and score 8 total TDs in four or five different ways. I'm not even completely sure where North Jackson is other than in North Alabama, but after about 3 weeks in a row of him putting up those numbers, I started actively looking for those articles each week. And if I remember correctly, I think he started receiving enough attention that he eventually got a scholarship offer from Mississippi State. Only time I can remember al.com doing something like that for a player from a smaller school.
Go to Top of Page

vvala45
Forum Member

28 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  14:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would love to hear you guys talk about former state championship teams and the great players from them. Also about coaches and their paths

2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 AHSAA State Champion.
Thompson Warrior
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1439 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  14:21:25  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kody the player from North Jackson was Lee Witherspoon. He played at Parker until his senior season where he scored a state record 59 TDs. He played less than a half most games and rushed for 2,826 averaging 19.2 yard a carry. If I remember right he got hurt late in the year and did not play much. He did go to Miss. State.

I generally stay away from players and stats because they are so difficult to get and verify. Just very time consuming to verify them all. But we could do something.

We are planning to have a team of the week or maybe several over the different classification to recognize the small schools.

vvala45- We are going to have a history lesson each week to end the show. First will be some history about how the game started in Alabama. I have thought about spotlighting a past championship team each week with some details.

We have discussed having a guest on the show. You may be the first Kody. Better get ready.

A million things to talk about and only an hour to do it.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Moderator

285 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2023 :  16:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New episode is up!
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2023 :  19:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great podcast. I really enjoyed the trek back into history when David talked about the Courtland teams from 88 through 90. Growing up in this area, they were absolute juggernauts. David was right too, they found it hard to schedule games. People wouldn't play them. I think one year they only played 6 regular season games.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2023 :  19:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GiglnTiger

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

As David mentioned, we are going to start to put breakdowns on the main page and we are going to give just as much coverage to smaller schools as we do the larger schools. I believe the podcast will follow the same path. Myself, being from Northwest Alabama, we only have one 7A school, one 6A and one 5A, so I am like you, smaller schools are what I was raised on and follow the most.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2023 :  21:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to the second podcast. It was a really good job on giving each classification about the same as the others. It was also good to see that yall spoke on what forum members are talking about for teams and speaking and using their insight, good way to make the forum members feel like they?re apart of the conversation.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 08/17/2023 04:54:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07