New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

271 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2023 :  13:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Baker vs Dothan
Baker comes in undefeated with their high-flying offense led by QB Josh Flowers and WR Bryce Cain. Dothan is 4-1, with the lone loss in 2OT to Auburn. Dothan will likely be the 4 seed in Region 2, while Baker will be a top 2 team in Region 1, so this will give us an idea of how much of a chance Region 1 has in the playoffs.
Pick: Dothan 44, Baker 36

6A: Clay-Chalkville vs Thompson
This game is tonight on ESPN2, so both teams will get to play in front of a national audience. Other than Saraland, these are the two most talented teams in the state. Last year this was a defensive slugfest, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of the same this time around.
Pick: Thompson 20, Clay-Chalkville 10

5A: Ramsay vs Auburn
This game might get overlooked because it's a 5A vs 7A matchup, but Ramsay put up a fight last year before falling 42-21. I think it'll be even closer this year. I don't expect Ramsay to ultimately have the depth to go 4 quarters with Auburn, but it wouldn't shock me to see a tight game through 2 or 3 quarters.
Pick: Auburn 35, Ramsay 21

4A: Oneonta vs Springville
Oneonta is coming off of a scare from Fultondale in a game they eventually pulled out 37-28, but they've been underwhelming to this point. Springville has come out of nowhere to put themselves in the driver's seat for a playoff spot in 5A Region 6. Shutting down Fluff Bothwell could send a message that they're a threat to do more than just make the playoffs.
Pick: Springville 42, Oneonta 24

3A: Gordo vs Pickens Co
After their loss to Bibb County, a lot of people had written Gordo off, but they've responded by showing why they're a contender every year. I respect that both of these schools have recognized the significance of this rivalry game despite the multiple classes that separate them, and they continue to play this one annually. These are both highly successful programs at their respective levels, but Pickens Co hasn't won in this game since 2013.
Pick: Gordo 46, Pickens Co 22

2A: Pleasant Valley vs Ragland
The intriguing part of this game is that, as most people in my area of the state would know, Pleasant Valley has just never been any good in football. Yet here they sit at 4-0 and are all but guaranteed of a playoff spot for the first time since 2010. With a win this week, they could potentially find themselves in a matchup of two unbeaten region foes next week against Locust Fork. With that said, Ragland is likely the best they've played this season, so it would take a real upset to get that unbeaten matchup.
Pick: Ragland 40, Pleasant Valley 24

1A: Leroy vs St. Luke's
Even with this being a battle of unbeaten teams, the biggest storyline is that Leroy will be without their Head Coach the remainder of the season as he has been deployed. We'll see how that affects their push for a state title going forward. For St. Luke's, this is a chance to see how they stack up compared to Clarke County, who they are chasing in their region and who lost to Leroy earlier in the season.
Pick: Leroy 42, St. Luke's 16
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07