New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

643 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2023 :  02:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A:

Thompson lost, but that is a really good Clay-Chalkville team that would be a huge favorite in 6A every year if Saraland didn't exist. Hoover, oof. It is just surprising to see them struggle this bad. I still think they will make playoffs as a 4 seed. And R3 had traditionally owned R4. So they may still have a playoff victory in sight. Auburn's kicker kicked a 59 yard fg tonight. I know he hasn't committed, but I'd be doing my best to get him to my school. Dothan rolled Baker. R2 over R1 is like R3 over R4.

6A:

I mean Saraland... come on. Why we even having this discussion? Clay-Chalkville with a big win. Guess that makes that one sportswriter that votes them #1 feel good, but again, Saraland... come on? Oxford/Hartselle one of the best games I have gotten to witness live in years. Both have tons of athletes and could challenge for north. Hartselle has Muscle Shoals coming to town next week.

5A:

Ramsay lost to 7A Auburn, but what a performance. I listened to some people that were at the game and they said QB Reece was all over the field. They are going to be a tough out in the north. Nothing else stuck out to me that much other than how bad Faith lost. Haven't heard much about that game though.

4A:

Deshler struggled with a talented but young Colbert County team. Oneonta won a game I didn't think they would. Oneonta and Dora, two teams I pick wrong every week. Really surprised Jacksonville had such little resistance from Ohatchee. Catholic dominating Demopolis IMO says more about Demopolis than Catholic.

3A:

Mars Hill came from behind to beat a really good 5A Russellville team. Phinizee, the RB at Russellville will be playing on Saturdays (he is just a soph.) Sylvania, who may be the front runner in the north (along with Mars Hill), lost to 2A Pisgah after a huge win last week. Was it a let down? Or is Pisgah just that dang good?

2A:

Just mentioned Pisgah, something to mention again. That Pisgah Fyffe matchup looks even more intriguing now. To me, Comer is still the one. Their RB is so good, but 2A is the one class where most (and I stress most, that doesn't mean all) things made sense this week.

1A:

Not a lot to report here. Leroy was a good win. But the big losses by Pickens County, South Lamar and Wadley to bigger competition shouldn't send off red flags. Millry doubling up Clarke County surprised me. A little shocked that Hackleburg was able to handle 2A Red Bay as they did. I picked Coosa Christian to win the North this year and they have to vacate wins now after violating transfer rule per AHSAA. Makes 1A north wide open. If they go 3-3 they may make the playoffs and will probably spoil a host teams weekend.

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

271 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2023 :  09:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A:

Thompson is still the best team in the North, but Central Phenix City is the best team in 7A at this point. Ramsay is great team, but Auburn has to be asking some serious questions after barely surviving the Rams. Also, Baker's blowout loss to Dothan, in which they were outscored 35-7 in the 2nd half, doesn't bode well for Region 1 against Region 2 again this year.

6A:

Clay-Chalkville is the only team in 6A with a prayer against Saraland, but they'd never stop them unless Mbakwe plays both ways the entire game. But I still wouldn't count out any of Mountain Brook, Parker, Oxford, Muscle Shoals, or Hartselle in the North.

5A:

Ramsay has to be the clear favorite after going toe-to-toe with Auburn. The only thing really separating them was Auburn has a college kicker and Ramsay doesn't. Pleasant Grove got a huge win over 6A Parker, but we've already seen them get destroyed by Ramsay. The wild card is that we don't know how Gulf Shores or Central Clay stack up compared to Ramsay at this point.

4A:

Not much to really report here. Cherokee County is obviously really good, but I still don't know if they're on the same level as Andalusia or Catholic. Jackson is the wild card.

3A:

Mars Hill is now my clear favorite in the North. With all their movement and misdirection, along with their athleticism, I think Sylvania would struggle with them.

2A:

I don't think anyone is beating Pisgah. The control the line of scrimmage like you normally see Fyffe do, but they've got better athletes at skill positions to really be able to stretch a defense. B.B. Comer has the athletes to compete with them, but they would have to play a perfect game, because Pisgah won't make any mistakes.

1A:

When Millry's QB transferred out, people wrote them off, but it's time to write them back in. Keep an eye on Lynn in the North. It feels like they've been flying under the radar, but they might be the best team in Region 5.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2023 :  12:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randolph County, Wadley.

I knew Randolph County would put up the points but I was expecting Wadley to do the same. Randolph County has continued to improve each week but last night?s performance was nothing short of phenomenal. It?s looking like a region title showdown against Wellborn in a couple of weeks but I don?t see anyone slowing RC down for the remainder of the regular season. Our 10th grade runningback is averaging like 3 touchdowns a game and 225 yards a game. I believe he broke 1,000 last night on the season.

Central of Clay County or as one of their coaches calls them? the good guys? looks to be a legitimate contender.

Handley seems to have taken a few steps back defensively. I still like Jacksonville for the long haul in the playoffs over Handley.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 09/30/2023 12:57:09
Go to Top of Page

hthe3
Forum Member

38 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2023 :  08:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Managed to catch a stream of the Montgomery Academy vs. Alabama Christian game (28-20 ACA over MA). ACA rolled out a new qb who is LARGE. Good game plan on their part to just run it right at MA all night. Equally good call to go for an onside kick and double up points. MA has some good skill players, but just no depth. Their speed guys are having to play almost every snap. MA just can't get push with their DL but per an interview with the coach, they're all freshmen or sophomores. DJ Vinson for MA was double or triple covered all night but still got a long TD on a slip screen. He's the real deal.

Catholic will probably run it up on MA next week - I think they're still mad about the 10-7 game - but at this point we're just waiting to see if Catholic can make it through the playoffs.

I feel like folks are sleeping on Trinity. STJ is their last test, but they held Southside-Selma's offense under 30 and are just humming along. Something just seems off with STJ's defense albeit against a tough schedule.
Go to Top of Page

Bum Pickins
AHSFHS Forum Member

72 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2023 :  21:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pisgah was able to take advantage of Sylvania secondary like Piedmont did last year. Pisgah coaching staff did a good job of play calling and not letting Sylvania defensive line take over like they did last year. Pisgah has 4 or 5 good skill guys, so they are hard to defend. Sylvania was able to run the ball for about 300 yards in the game and looked solid again offensively against a really good opponent. Sylvania's secondary has to play better if they want to reach the finals. Sylvania is a physical team that plays with a lot of confidence.

Fyffe OL looked improved against a young Plainview team. Fyffe's Anderson looks to me like the best player in the area. If Fyffe cuts out their mistakes, the Pisgah and Fyffe game would be a pick'em to me.
Go to Top of Page

Coach82
New Forum Member

19 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2023 :  11:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6A: Think Pike Road is a little better than we thought initially, 3 straight & control their own destiny in their region I believe.

5A: Marbury has been a disappointment, thought they'd be improved from a year ago with new HC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07