285 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2023 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is correct
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2023 :  08:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most people would argue the excessive points. I love it for the fact that the younger kids (Coosa?s future) got in there and went to work too. Not a believer in telling your kids don?t score. They worked hard for it all week, let them show it on the field. With that being said, Coosa is making the most of these next few weeks to make a statement but to gear up for the playoffs because they?ll be playing a #1 seed Wadley if I?m not mistaken.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 10/14/2023 08:34:36
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2023 :  09:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well! This came across my Facebook feed. Apparently, Coosas coach is blaming Cedar Bluffs HC for their forfeit sanctions. I?m guessing Coosas coach assumes Cedar Bluffs coach reported them and in return they made an embarrassment of CB. Anyone got any insight on this from that area of the state?

https://www.gadsdentimes.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/10/14/alabama-high-school-football-coosa-christian-coach-mark-obryant-94-7-win-cedar-bluff/71181109007/?fbclid=IwAR2zWrUgRbmydmWMKYucNgIMnzPOGcioGGBMgLLGmVufL893r6fRvXTZ23A_aem_AQrpOrRGPW9smB-yZmfloZs3qdt_SHm3eC62lfKoqEUa1b_cK9F195GLBCtUJnlaSVQ&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#lnq3zrb1en4ng768d8a

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

307 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2023 :  09:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that's the case I can't imagine the butt chewing he gave his players after letting CB score.
Go to Top of Page

Mosleh87
New Forum Member

15 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2023 :  22:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was shocked when I saw the score. A Gadsden Times Facebook post about the game has over 500 comments (270 likes) of people praising it while the other half are condemning it, and making a point about it being "Un-Christian" for a Christian school to do. Lots of drama in that comments section of that post.

I myself am disappointed they did not go for 100.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2023 :  11:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coosa Christian coach Mark O?Bryant acknowledged he ran up the score and told The Gadsden Times it was in response to Cherokee County Schools Superintendent Mike Welsh attempting to ?sabotage? the Coosa Christian program.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2023/10/coosa-christian-rolls-up-94-points-in-runaway-victory-over-cedar-bluff.html

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2023 :  14:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of interest, here?s the game that was streamed free on FNN Network. The third & fourth Qtrs are when things get dramatic. It looks like Coosa played the starters the whole game. The second half had a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties, the refs stepping in and talking to coaches, Cedar Bluff started to milk the clock as much as possible to keep Coosa from having more time to score. If you rewatch the game just start at the third Qtr.

https://fb.watch/nJgSORKyTL/?mibextid=Na33Lf

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 10/16/2023 14:39:30
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

271 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2023 :  16:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically I'm of the opinion that you either leave your starters in and kill clock, or you can empty the benches and keep running your normal offense. But there's definitely a lot more to it than that here.

First of all, it's stupid for Coosa Christian to be mad someone reported them for cheating (which playing an ineligible player is cheating). Especially considering they're a private school, it should be easier for them to make sure their players are all eligible since they don't have to worry about their players being zoned for their school. If someone associated with Cedar Bluff turned them in, I don't blame them. If I had proof a team in my region was blatantly cheating I'd turn them in too.

Second of all, Coosa Christian should feel fortunate they're even still eligible for the playoffs at all. You really shouldn't be eligible for the playoffs if you've had to forfeit multiple region games for fielding an ineligible player, especially as a private school for the reasons I stated above. The reward for winning a region title is supposed to be an easier opponent in the 1st round, so it's not fair to Wadley that they're gonna have to face Coosa Christian in the 1st round all because Coosa Christian broke the rules. I'm hoping the AHSAA will look into making that rule change in the near future.

What this tells me about the Coosa Christian program is they think rules are beneath them. Even if it wasn't a Christian school that would still be a horrible lesson to teach those kids, that anytime they get caught doing something wrong they should blame those who caught them.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2023 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched the video. It was pretty egregious. Going for an onsides kick to start the second half already up 38-7, keeping the starters in and using your whole playbook were all pretty bad looks. Kody made a good point when he said they were mad about being turned in for cheating. Even if it was done in error, it's still against the rules.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2023 :  19:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

I watched the video. It was pretty egregious. Going for an onsides kick to start the second half already up 38-7, keeping the starters in and using your whole playbook were all pretty bad looks. Kody made a good point when he said they were mad about being turned in for cheating. Even if it was done in error, it's still against the rules.

I agree. I was all for the high score had it been younger kids getting in some points but leaving the starters in the whole game was just a bad look for the entire community. At the end of the game if you watched the end of the video, they skip the hand shakes and run to the scoreboard (coaches too), to get a photo with it. I would venture as far as to saying both coaches were asked to have a running clock and Coosa?s was against it, which is why I?m guessing CB was running the play clock all the way down to :01 before snapping.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

ChiefWilly37
New Forum Member

15 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  09:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we know why the player for Coosa Christian was ruled ineligible? I did not see it when I read a couple of articles.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  09:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChiefWilly37

Do we know why the player for Coosa Christian was ruled ineligible? I did not see it when I read a couple of articles.

I saw a Coosa coach chime in on that part on Facebook. Heres what he said, ?We got reported for a players parent not being full time at the school you said cheating thats not cheating that player is now eligible.?

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 10/17/2023 09:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Fat_Coach
Forum Member

57 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  17:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, I don't know all the details, but I'm going to confidently assert that: ordering/manipulating one set of HS kids to embarrass another set of HS kids just to "send a message" to an adult, who doesn't even work at either school, is never the right choice.
Go to Top of Page

Mosleh87
New Forum Member

15 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  19:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GiglnTiger

quote:

I saw a Coosa coach chime in on that part on Facebook. Heres what he said, ?We got reported for a players parent not being full time at the school you said cheating thats not cheating that player is now eligible.?

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

I am confused, what does this mean? The players parent was not "full time"?? Full time what?
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  19:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mosleh87

quote:

quote:

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

I am confused, what does this mean? The players parent was not "full time"?? Full time what?

I also didn't understand this and I saw the full response on Facebook. I saw the back and forth between Jeremy and the coach and I even asked for a clarification about running clock and never got one. Coosa seems to be, at least this one coach, trying to mitigate the damage of public perception.

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/17/2023 19:44:41
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mosleh87

quote:

quote:

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

I also didn't understand this and I saw the full response on Facebook. I saw the back and forth between Jeremy and the coach and I even asked for a clarification about running clock and never got one. Coosa seems to be, at least this one coach, trying to mitigate the damage of public perception.

I took what was perfectly said here and used it as a response and that coach wasnt having it. I expect nothing less from a coach to defend their team regardless of how right or wrong they were. There was never a response given on the starters playing the whole game. As for the running clock I have a hard time believing that decision is solely given to the refs alone. I would think the coaches decide on that as well. I stopped responding to his remarks once I seen his profile photo and realized he was a coach.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 10/17/2023 20:29:54
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AHSAA rule specifically states that the running clock has to be agreed upon by both coaches.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

399 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The AHSAA rule specifically states that the running clock has to be agreed upon by both coaches.

That?s what I thought to. The video broadcasters even said in the second half ?it looks like the refs are talking to the coaches about a running clock?. The continuous clock never happened and that?s when I noticed CB was running the play clock down to :01 before snapping to taking time off the clock. That?s when I realized that one of the teams didn?t agree to the continuous clock.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

645 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Special rules" section of AHSAA rule book.

6. Teams have an option for a running clock if a game is out-of-hand and if both coaches agree.
Go to Top of Page

ChiefWilly37
New Forum Member

15 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2023 :  12:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While watching the broadcast I also noticed a lot of ejectable actions by Coosa Christians players in the pile after plays. Such as, punching, headbutting, and even stomping on hands and legs. Im not sure if this is on par with their attitude during games, but this possibly seemed to be looked the other way on by CCs coaches (at the least). If I were involved with CBs program at all, I would definitely be making clips of these actions to send to AHSAA for some sort of recourse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07