Teams of the Year
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

648 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2023 :  20:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't listened to the AHSFHS podcast, you're missing out, but they do a feature every week "Team of the Week." And that is for each classification. Before we hit the playoffs, I thought it would be something to get your teams of the year for each class. Here are mine.

7A:

Mary Montgomery. No one saw this coming. Yes, region 2 is stacked and MGM may struggle with Dothan, but what a season. Their first region title since 85.

6A:

Everything 6A is Saraland. Scary thing is I have heard they will be better next year. They didn't even play Ryan Williams last night and still beat McGill-Toolen 70-27. Helena was a close second. Great story

5A:

Central Clay County. Wherever Danny Horn goes, so goes wins. I think everyone expected them to be good, but the way they have dominated was a bit surprising, at least to me.

4A:

Corner: They ended up finishing 3rd in the region due to tie breakers, but they set a school record for wins in a row.

3A:

Lauderdale County: First undefeated season since 1972, also snapped a losing streak against Brooks. Their first win against cross town rival since 2014, 33-3. And as a Brooks fan and graduate, this hurts me.

2A:

Pisgah: They still couldn't get over that Fyffe hump, but that's a huge hump. They won a lot of big games and will be a legit threat in 2A.

1A:

Woodville: Missed the playoffs but had a winning season. I think I saw on this board it was their first ever. Regardless, they have something to build on.

Twitter (Or X, whatever) @TheMUBM

Edited by - TheMUBM on 11/04/2023 20:35:09

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

401 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2023 :  20:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My list is a bit shorter but heres a few that really stuck out to me.

2A
Locust Fork: They got their first undefeated season in program history (74 seasons), first region title in over two decades, top scoring offense in class 2A and second top scoring offense in the state (based on last weeks scoring averages).

3A
Lauderdale County: Everyone automatically assumed Mars Hill was going to win the region but LC definitely said otherwise. LC is the first team since 2017 to hand Mars Hill their first region loss. They also capped off their first undefeated season since 1972.

5A
Southside Gadsden: With Leeds & Moody in the region and rolling in a lot of talent from last year, you would have never guessed Southside would be in a 3 way tie for the region crown and ultimately beating the two via tiebreaker for it.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 11/04/2023 21:00:05
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

648 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2023 :  21:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought hard about Locust Fork. That's a good pick.

Twitter (Or X, whatever) @TheMUBM
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

271 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2023 :  13:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only a few that I might pick differently.

5A: John Carroll or Southside-Gadsden

John Carroll used to be a laughingstock of the Birmingham area when it came to football, but they road the momentum from their early win over Homewood to a really good season. And Southside overcame losing their starting QB early to win a region that had not one but two teams with more talent than them.

4A: West Morgan

Wasn't so much that they won their region, but their dominance came out of nowhere, at least for me. Their closest games were two 21 point wins, and they scored 40+ in every game.

2A: Locust Fork or Cottonwood

Locust Fork is another team that I can't remember ever being all that good. I had them as one of my preseason teams to watch, but I thought at best they'd compete for maybe a 2 or 3 seed. Cottonwood was another team I had as a preseason dark horse, and they also exceeded expectations by winning a deep region.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07