Win percentage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1265 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2021 :  23:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What coaches have the most losses? I would think the coaches at the top of the list would also have a lot of wins. To be around long enough to lose that many games you'd have to win a lot too. But what about low wining percentage? Has there been anyone who has over 100 loses and at least 3 teams and fewer than 100 Wins? If your loosing that much you're usually not around long enough to rack up too many loses. The one that comes to my mind is Keith Garner 36-143 17+ seasons 4 teams .201 win percentage.

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  08:27:56  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can chime in here for this discussion with some facts.

Two coaches are tied for the most losses all-time. Ronald Earl Cook who spent 33 years at John Essex ended his career with a record of 64-228 - 21.9%

Also Bill Smith who spent 39 years at seven different schools most recently at Tharptown in 2014. He finished his career with a record of 180-228 - 44.1%

Now to the coaches with the worst winning percentage with at least 100 losses.

Leon Rodgers went 11-102 at Hayneville from 1971-1983. He won just 9.7% of his games.
Next would be Keith Garner as cwak mentioned at 20.1%.

I must say here that these coaches were in difficult situations and it is doubtful many coaches would have a good record at the times they were at these schools.

One more note of interest is that Charlie Sexton has the worst winning percentage among all coaches with at least 100 wins. His teams at four different schools over the course of a 27 year career went 121-157. A winning percentage of 43.5%. He coached from 1963-199 most recently at Samson.

One last thing. There are 68 coaches who lost at least 100 games and won less than half the games they coached.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1265 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  11:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most struggling programs are because of institutional sports program problems, not coaching.

I don't think we'll see loses racked up like that again. It takes a lot of fortitude and dedication to stick it out that long a a program with little support.

Many of those programs today lose coaches than being fired. Today coaches would rather become a coordinator or assistant at a strong program and hope another opportunity comes along than stay at a struggling program.

Not that I think that's a bad thing just a change in the willingness of people to move or change than in the past.
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  22:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see a small private school or something keeping a coach that long due to money issues but that?s about it.
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  22:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, David did you get my private message? I can?t remember if it was sent via PM or email
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2021 :  23:59:21  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not powerlineman.
email me at dparker@ahsfhs.org

Good to see you hanging out around here once again.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

286 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2021 :  01:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Coach Garner. It's not even that he's an awful coach. He's just taken jobs where the programs are at rock bottom with nothing really going for them. I half expect him to be Columbia's coach before it's all over.
Go to Top of Page

YoungBallCoach
Forum Member

44 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  16:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcslate

Poor Coach Garner. It's not even that he's an awful coach. He's just taken jobs where the programs are at rock bottom with nothing really going for them. I half expect him to be Columbia's coach before it's all over.

Brindlee Mountain was one of our two biggest rivals in high school, so I know for a fact that the program struggles because more football kids would rather go to Arab. That and the student population up there right now probably sees how bad the program is and wants nothing to do with it.

I know Garner took over at Arab when they were first in 6A getting destroyed every week in the early 2000s. That was a tough job then. He took over at Crossville and didn't do very well, but I coached under Coach Pugh and he said even in the mid-2000s it was showing signs of becoming a tough place to sustain success. Fast forward 15 years later and here they are struggling. You may be right; he may be at Columbia before he hangs it up for good.
Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

286 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2021 :  02:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YoungBallCoach

quote:
Originally posted by mcslate

Brindlee Mountain was one of our two biggest rivals in high school, so I know for a fact that the program struggles because more football kids would rather go to Arab. That and the student population up there right now probably sees how bad the program is and wants nothing to do with it.

I know Garner took over at Arab when they were first in 6A getting destroyed every week in the early 2000s. That was a tough job then. He took over at Crossville and didn't do very well, but I coached under Coach Pugh and he said even in the mid-2000s it was showing signs of becoming a tough place to sustain success. Fast forward 15 years later and here they are struggling. You may be right; he may be at Columbia before he hangs it up for good.

I remember reading an article over the offseason saying BM had gone a decade without any kind of youth program until this season. May take several years to see results but it's a start.

I was familiar with his Arab situation as I was working in the city of Arab at the time. The program was ran into the ground by bad coaching and administration for starters. Then the state abandoned the area formats and stuck little ol' Arab into an 8 team region of much larger Birmingham schools. Garner did some work and got the team a new field house and eventually took Arab to the playoffs after they dropped to 5A.

Not sure what happened at Crossville but it doesn't seem like anyone else has done any better. The only real headscratcher is JB Pennington as Garner's successor has made them a solid program. Everything else totally understandable.

Again, not a bad coach just doesn't seem like he can catch a break:

http://www.thearabtribune.com/sports/county-board-fires-brindlee-mountain-assistant-coach/article_09f278f8-26c4-11ec-b117-af0ed494668b.html
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1265 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2021 :  23:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brindlee Mtn has always been fascinating to me since their inception. The lack of support makes how they field a team every year a miracle.
Just to field a team you need numbers, not to be successful, but just field a team period. For practice and games. At some point it becomes a player well being issue.
Its not just Brindlee Mtn but programs of the same ilk thats why I've been a proponent of a formula for classification more than just enrollment taking program succes into account. Allowing poor programs a chance to rebuild giving more kids a chance to participate.
Go to Top of Page

YoungBallCoach
Forum Member

44 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2021 :  09:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cwak

Brindlee Mtn has always been fascinating to me since their inception. The lack of support makes how they field a team every year a miracle.
Just to field a team you need numbers, not to be successful, but just field a team period. For practice and games. At some point it becomes a player well being issue.
Its not just Brindlee Mtn but programs of the same ilk thats why I've been a proponent of a formula for classification more than just enrollment taking program succes into account. Allowing poor programs a chance to rebuild giving more kids a chance to participate.

Agreed. It is so tough for Brindlee to be in a region with Fyffe, Sylvania, Plainview, Geraldine, etc. The only normal shot at winning is against Asbury and Asbury has beaten them every year.
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2021 :  00:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker
Good to see you hanging out around here once again.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

Just sent you an email. Good to be back and to chat with some old friends that go WAY back online like with the Monkey, me and him go back to the old al.com boards

I've been around the site a lot but kept forgetting to check the forums. I'll try to stick around a little more if I can remember. Getting old sucks!
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2021 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by powerlineman

Just sent you an email. Good to be back and to chat with some old friends that go WAY back online like with the Monkey, me and him go back to the old al.com boards

I've been around the site a lot but kept forgetting to check the forums. I'll try to stick around a little more if I can remember. Getting old sucks!

AL.com! Those were the good ol days of trolling Lawrence County and Winfield fans for me.
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

101 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2021 :  22:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David let me know if you got it.

MUBM yep the good ol days for sure! That place was crazy back then! Lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07