Games to Watch October 15th
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2021 :  14:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon and welcome back to another Thursday afternoon and as the season winds down, playoff positions start coming together. I imagine the playoff bracket will be released soon. Let us begin with this week's top games to watch

7A: Thompson vs Oak Mountain
I almost did the Fairhope vs Baker game, but I decided that due to this matchup being very intriguing I wanted to cover it. You may look at this game and think that Thompson will win by 50 points. You can think that however this game is sneaky. Because Thompson plays Hoover next week and they are obviously thinking of that game. Oak Mountain is not a bad team at all this year, if you walk in sleep walking, they can beat you. Thompson is the number 4 team in America according to Maxprep's rankings, but any team can get beat on any given day. My Prediction: Thompson will come out slow, Oak Mountain will come out hot and this will be Thompson's biggest scare so far this season. However Thompson will pull out the win in the 4th quarter and will get ready for their matchup of the year. Thompson wins late 45-31.

6A: Clay-Chalkville vs Pinson Valley
I will admit, at the beginning of the season I did not think Clay-Chalkville would be this good, and I have been wrong. They have crushed everyone so far this season. I thought they would've slipped up against Jackson-Olin, and they beat them easily. Their closest game so far was a win vs Hueytown, and they won by 17 points. I will not count out Pinson, as they are a very good football team. If any team in 6A north can stop Clay-Chalkville, it is Pinson Valley. We shall see if they can do it. My Prediction: Pinson will keep it close, But I have a hard time believing anyone can take down Clay-Chalkville this season. Clay-Chalkville wins and continues their dominance, 41-26.

5A: East Limestone vs Russellville
I will keep it real with you guys, I had a hard time finding a really good 5A matchup this week, but this game will decide the region champion so let us check this out. East Limestone has been a nice surprise as if they take down Russellville, they can win their first region title since 2014. Russellville lost to Hartselle, who is an excellent 6A team. Russellville is trying to make a run for the state title to bring home their first title since 1968. I am curious to see this game play out. My Prediction I think Russellville will win and take home the region title. Russellville wins 31-21.

4A: Vigor vs Williamson
I am not sure what has been happening in this region as it is kind of a mess besides Vigor. I am not sure who has tie breakers, who will make the playoffs as it is close besides Vigor. So if Williamson upsets Vigor this Friday, this region will turn upside down. Williamson definitely can do it, but will they? That is why they play the games. If Vigor wins, they can secure their path to the playoffs, and I personally believe the best three in the 4A south this year are, in no order: Vigor, American Christian, Handley. That is it. I will get more into how I feel about that in a different article about the playoffs that might come out today. My Prediction: Defense wins championships, Vigor has a very good defense. Vigor wins 20-14.

3A: Catholic Montgomery vs Trinity
Allow me to say it once again, Defense wins championships. Well both of these teams certainly have that. These two teams have the best defenses in 3A so far. They both can shut you down. However I would like to bring in some factors that people might not know. These two teams both defeated Montgomery Academy, one of the better teams in 3A. However Trinity won by 3 points, and I heard Montgomery Academy had some players out with COVID, that is no excuse, nor confirmed just a rumor Trinity still won the game as that is all that matters. Catholic played Montgomery Academy and obliterated them. Trinity also struggled with Reeltown, who has been dealing with injuries this season, but injuries are apart of the game. Trinty's offense has not been as good as Catholic's so far, but their defense puts them in great positions to score. I have yet to see Catholic struggle with any team, and I do not think that will start Friday. My Prediction: Catholic rolls Trinity and continues their quest to get revenge against the Fyffe Red Devils. Catholic wins, 21-0.

2A: Ariton vs Elba
I remember when I said I thought Ariton would win the 2A title, I stand with that prediction, as they are very good. Elba will give them the best game of their season. Elba has a very good offense and can score with any team. Expect Ariton to struggle at first but their offense will heat up. My Prediction: Ariton will win and continue their quest for a title. Ariton wins close 30-28.

1A: Sweet Water vs Millry
Sweet Water is good as always, but Millry has came this year and surprised me as I thought they would take a step back. Sweet Water could make a run for the title, but I still think Maplesville will take that home. However I believe that Sweet Water is very good and Millry will see them once again in November. My Prediction: Sweet Water wins 41-35

That is all for this week, Hope y'all enjoyed! Let me know what games you guys will be watching.

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2021 :  15:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the shoals area games I will say

7A
Florence vs Huntsville.

Huntsville is much improved and this could be pivotal for a playoff position. I have no doubt Florence has the most talent but they've been wildly inconsistent this year. That said, they are coming off their most complete game of the season last week.

Prediction: Florence 28 Huntsville 21

5A
Russellville vs East Limestone

Russellville had this region sewed up before the season started. East has done well in the region but have struggled outside the region with lower classification competition. I know a lot of people are pinpointing this game this week because it is essentially for the region title, but I would be shocked if the game is close.

Prediction: Russellville 41 East Limestone 14

2A
Colbert County vs Lexington

This is for a home playoff spot. Both teams played their tails off against Mars Hill but both came up just short. Lexingtons defense played much better than Colbert County's and the Indians did give up over 500 yards of offense to Mars Hill and I think the defense will be the difference.

Prediction: Lexington 23 CCHS 12

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/14/2021 15:00:46
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2021 :  22:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Hewitt-Trussville at Gadsden City
Gadsden City has to win this one to keep their postseason hopes alive. Hewitt-Trussville can clinch a spot in the playoffs with a win. Should Gadsden City pull off the upset, it could set up a potential 3-way tie for 3rd-5th in the region between these two and Oak Mountain. Gadsden City has played both Hoover and Thompson as close as anyone, so I think they have a real chance.
Pick: Gadsden City wins 35-31

6A: Hueytown at McAdory
The biggest story to watch here will be whether or not McAdory's QB is able to play. He missed their loss to Hillcrest-Tuscaloosa due to an injury suffered the previous week, but I'm not sure the extent of the injury. If he plays, this one could be a close one, but at the moment I'm going to assume he won't play.
Pick: Hueytown wins 42-23

5A: Guntersville vs Boaz
There really aren't any good matchups this week in 5A, but of the bigger matchups, I think this one has the most potential to be a good game. Boaz played Fairview really close, and Fairview has been the only team in the region able to pose a challenge to Guntersville this year.
Pick: Guntersville wins 38-20

4A: Handley at Anniston
Handley can clinch the region title with a win. If Anniston wins, then it becomes a three-way tie between these two and Cherokee County atop the region standings. This is the area oI hinted at my prediction for this one last week.
Pick: Anniston wins 26-21

3A: Montgomery Catholic vs Trinity
This is possibly the biggest game in the state this week regardless of classification. I'm not surprised either team is unbeaten up to this point, but I am surprised in the manner in which they've been winning. They have a combined 11 shutouts between them, with each defense allowing points in just two games. Montgomery Catholic hasn't been challenged all year. Trinity has played in three one-score games.
Pick: Montgomery Catholic wins 28-7

2A: Ariton at Elba
This is the other huge game this week. The winner of this game will be one of the favorites to win the state championship. Elba got blown out by G.W. Long early in the season in their lone defeat, but they've seemed to be improving every week since. Ariton narrowly beat that same G.W. Long squad a few weeks ago, so this will be our chance to see exactly how Elba stacks up.
Pick: Elba wins 35-28

1A: Pickens County vs Meek
Meek would take over first in the region with the win, while Pickens County would clinch the region title with a win. A loss for Meek could potentially send them down to 4th or even leave them on the outside looking in come playoff time.
Pick: Pickens County wins 44-20

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07