Raglands future is uncertain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Moderator

280 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  23:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.cbs42.com/news/st-clair-county-schools-looks-for-solutions-to-keep-ragland-high-school-open/amp/

Hate to see this!

Twitter handle(Or X whatever): Tp_hammock

Edited by - Sloth Nationzz on 08/01/2024 23:35:08

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

114 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2024 :  17:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That?s about how it started with Talladega County Central. We got their QB at Winterboro this year so things are looking up
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

394 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2024 :  16:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I don't know why BOE systems are hanging on to smaller schools that are hurting financially across the board. At the end of the day, attendance is dropping at smaller schools, education for a good many is lacking at smaller schools, athletic programs are hurting financial and are getting harder to field teams.

Randolph County struggles some financially on the athletic side of things. Our field house was condemned back in 2013 along with out bleachers. The state funded and got us new aluminum bleachers. The field house had work done to barely get it back up to par. They had a hole dug into the hill on the other side of the field where the new field house was to be build and that hole in the hill has been there since 2014 untouched. I know the Randolph County BOE at one time got information from Central Clay and another county merger and it was discussed about consolidating Randolph County, Woodland and Wadley.

At the end of the day the mergers are coming for the majority of the smaller schools and I'm all for it, to give students & athletes better resources to thrive better. If the schools can't provide it, the kids will look to move into another school district.

Jeremy Wortham
(former RCHS student-athlete 2000-2003)

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 08/07/2024 16:53:19
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

114 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2024 :  00:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will never happen in Talladega County, especially with every school here being new now.

We got Comer, Childersburg and Winterboro all within a 9 mile radius. 4 if you count Sylacauga but they?re their own system and not a part of the county and 5 if you count Talladega (same as Sylacauga they are also their own system).

I?ll never understand how Randolph County has kept Wadley going considering how small they are
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

394 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2024 :  08:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by powerlineman

That will never happen in Talladega County, especially with every school here being new now.

We got Comer, Childersburg and Winterboro all within a 9 mile radius. 4 if you count Sylacauga but they?re their own system and not a part of the county and 5 if you count Talladega (same as Sylacauga they are also their own system).

I?ll never understand how Randolph County has kept Wadley going considering how small they are

I want to say Wadley graduates roughly 2 dozen kids a year. That's putting it on the high side. I don't know if maybe Southern Union State Community College being in Wadley a factor (doubtful). The school is outdated.

As for the schools you mentioned having new schools, it wouldn't surprise me to see those new schools turned into elementary/middle schools and a new central high school still be built. Its highly unlikely but still a slim possibility.

Randolph County High moved their elementary school from the high school to the other side of town and built a new one near the middle school. They turned the old elementary school into the Board of Education office.

Jeremy Wortham
(former RCHS student-athlete 2000-2003)

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Moderator

265 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2024 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of this over the next 10 years or so.
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

114 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2024 :  20:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They?ll never get Winterboro considering we passed a tax to get the new school built. It took them 20 years to get TC shut down as it was Wadley level in size for a long time and falling apart. Childersburg is the pet of the head honcho over Talladega County BOE so it will never get shut down either and no way they close Comer because that?s their footprint into Sylacauga as if they shut Comer down that just means everyone pours into Sylacauga Higj itself. Also half of the new Winterboro is also Sycamore Elementary which feeds into Winterboro at Comer
Go to Top of Page

Jmm_18
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2024 :  21:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a Lawrence County native, these consolidaitons/closures never work out great. In 2009, when Lawrence County consolidated 3 of its high schools (Speake High to LCHS, Mt Hope High to Hatton, and Hazlewood Hifh to R.A. Hubbard), a LOT of parents pulled their kids completely from the district (my parents did). The parents aren't gonna support a school district that's gonna pretty much destroy their community.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07