General Discussion
 Surprise Teams of 2022
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dparker
Forum Admin

1407 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2022 :  19:57:49  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's have some fun for the next couple of weeks. I will throw out some topics and see what everyone thinks about them.

First up. Who will be the surprise team for the upcoming season? Keith blew everyone away last year with their start to the season. Every year there are a few teams that come from nowhere to compete at the highest level.

I will kick it off with a few I think will surprise some folks. These are just based on returning players and last season results.

7A - Baker & Foley.

Also - Moody, Ragland, Randolph and Gulf Shores.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2022 :  06:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up in my part of the state, I think Geraldine might surprise some people. Same thing for Sylvania. Their region should be very tough but they both should be fairly good teams.

Of course y'all know I think Pisgah will be pretty good. We bring back about 18-19 starters and we bring back about 24-25 that played a good bit. We are in the region with Fyffe who will always be the team to beat.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

WCGuru1
Forum Member

54 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2022 :  08:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winston County Returns 9 on Offense (all 5 OL) and 8 on Defense ( all 7 on Def front) with about 12 SR's.
Meek will be the Team in the county to watch.. should be very solid
Addison will always be Addison, should be fast, but lost alot of SR's.
Both them and Meek should be 1 and 2 in region play.
Lynn QB will be the strength of the team, has good zip on the Ball, and the Davis kid has a motor on the DL.
Haleyville should be better with the Coleman kids back, plus the transfers from Winfield will help, but playing in 4A will be tuff for them.
Should be a good season for each of the County Schools.

Edited by - WCGuru1 on 07/11/2022 08:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Bulldog5
Forum Member

20 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  09:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Williamson, the new head coach is a great person. He has been the defensive coordinator for the last 5 or so years. Williamson has had one of the best defenses in the state during that time. He went to school there, played at AU and in the NFL. I?m guessing he gets the others coaches in-line on organizational matters and will make special teams not such a liability. I?m also guessing he recruits the hallways much better than his predecessors. It is a tough 9 team region though, so one or two good teams might not make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

DLjpm60
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2022 :  10:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hatton. Playoff team last year. Finished year strong. Only lost 2 seniors. And added players via consolidation with RA Hubbard.
Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

291 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  20:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Hatton for the same reasons. Given some of the predictions already it may not be such a surprise for the people posting here but I think the rest of north Alabama will be surprised.

I'll also throw in Decatur as a surprise team. The Red Raiders don't really strike the same fear they used to in the 90s and 00s but I think this could be a throwback year for them. They were 4-7 last season losing 3 games by a combined 9 points and will have a senior laden 1st string this time.

As a bonus, I'll throw in a team that probably won't make the playoffs but will still have a big season by their standards and that's Brindlee Mt. Lions. Going to call it now. They'll win not one, not two, but three games this year. Doesn't sound like much but that hasn't happened for BM since 2011. When the program is on a 43 game losing skid I'm sure most of the school will take it.
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Enterprise
6A: Gadsden City
5A: Greenville, Arab
4A: Jacksonville, Sipsey Valley
3A: Sylvania, Ohatchee, Oakman
2A: Chickasaw, Cottonwood
1A: Loachapoka, South Lamar
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1407 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2022 :  08:28:56  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

Let's have some fun for the next couple of weeks. I will throw out some topics and see what everyone thinks about them.

First up. Who will be the surprise team for the upcoming season? Keith blew everyone away last year with their start to the season. Every year there are a few teams that come from nowhere to compete at the highest level.

I will kick it off with a few I think will surprise some folks. These are just based on returning players and last season results.

7A - Baker & Foley.

Also - Moody, Ragland, Randolph and Gulf Shores.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

I came across this post from July. I like my picks for surprise teams even better now. Especially Foley, Moody, Randolph and Gulf Shores.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07