Best-Worst Playoff 1st Round Matchup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

375 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  07:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This rarely happens but Mobile Christian at Houston Academy has got to be the best-worst first round playoff matchup thru all classifications. There?s really no fair way about it. Mobile Christian had to forfeit games because of AHSAA sanctions, which is the correct thing to do. Now, we?ve got region champ Houston Academy hosting Mobile Christian who would have been a region champ (if not for the forfeits). The whole point of winning your region was to have hosting privileges and also not facing other region champs until at least the Qtr. Finals. So I guess there?s truly nothing fair about it. If I was Houston Academy I?d be pretty pissed.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

267 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  09:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very similar to what happened to St. James last year when they had to host Anniston in the first round after they forfeited a few games. I think if you have to forfeit games, you should be disqualified from the playoffs that season. Just my Opinion
Go to Top of Page

robinsonakr
AHSFHS Forum Master

114 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,...this really sucks for HA. Great undefeated season so far. Region champs and this is how you are rewarded. I mean, MC did what they were supposed to do with forfeits and won the games they needed and had luck help them out to make the playoffs as the 4 seed. But it really is unfair because they are not your typical 4 seed. They probably would have won their region or atleast been a 2. HA deserves better but this is how the cards fell. I hate it for Coach Brundidge if they go out in round 1.
Go to Top of Page

YoungBallCoach
Forum Member

44 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  10:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

This is very similar to what happened to St. James last year when they had to host Anniston in the first round after they forfeited a few games. I think if you have to forfeit games, you should be disqualified from the playoffs that season. Just my Opinion

I agree with this sentiment. You have to stay on top of eligibility so if you have to forfeit it should preclude you from postseason play for that year. I don't think that is an unfair thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

375 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  10:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YoungBallCoach

quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

I agree with this sentiment. You have to stay on top of eligibility so if you have to forfeit it should preclude you from postseason play for that year. I don't think that is an unfair thing to do.

I agree. Or at the very least, if you have to forfeit a region game then it bans you from the playoffs for the year. If you forfeit a non region game then your still able to compete in the playoffs. Non region games won?t affect seeding because even in a tiebreaker the team can?t gain points.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

290 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  12:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when this happened to Florence many years back. Their great prize for winning their region was a first round game against Hoover.

I agree with the playoff DQ for a year if it's region games. Might seem harsh on the other kids on the team but we can't start hurting other teams that followed eligibility rules.
Go to Top of Page

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

267 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  12:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may seem harsh but its the coaches responsibility to keep up with that information. I like that if you forfeit a region game, you are disqualified for that postseason.
Houston Academy has had one of their best season in years and they get rewarded with a team that could legit could win 3A south. They get them as a "4th Seed"
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

375 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2022 :  12:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually emailed Ron Ingram directly. I use?d to be a media personal with AHSAA credentials, so I know he does read and respond back to his emails thats sent to him.

If you?d like to bring awareness to something like this, as it?s been pointed out that it?s happened last year and also a few years back, then feel free to email them letting them know that it should be at the very least discussed as to teams being banned from current season playoffs for the season.

His email is ringram@ahsaa.com , I also sent a direct message to their AHSAA Facebook page.

Jeremy Wortham

Randolph County Tigers

Go to Top of Page

dawgfan09
Forum Member

30 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  01:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oneonta Haleyville will probaly be the best game in 4a

bc
Go to Top of Page

Coach82
New Forum Member

19 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  09:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pinson Valley Mountain Brook has to up there in 6a ball
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07